cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kelowna, BC to Florida via Hwy 101

Clearly_West_Co
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a 5 month adventure starting from Kelowna, BC down the Oregon Coast via Hwy 101 to California. Where is the best point to jump off 101 to start our journey East. We want to avoid snow and big city congestion if possible. Our goal is to travel the southern states to Florida and see as much as we can during Nov - Mar.
9 REPLIES 9

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
You can't have a problem thru Oregon - Pks are BEAUTIFUL all the way to Calif.

I would continue on 101 and thru the Redwood Giants once at almost any junction you could head east to I-5 However I would head down toward S.F. on 101

I have never taken Hwy1 for any length - sometimes apparently, they get wash outs? Cant attest to that.

I would stay N. of S.F. and take day trips. Stayed in Novato - simple park.
tour to Sausalito - cute town. Take Larkspur ferry to S.F.- Find stop for Chinatown & take cable car passes Golden G. Bridge & Alcatraz. Be sure to have a meal on the boardwalk.

I would then carry S. from Novato ACROSS the G.G. bridge.

Look for the turn off to #1 - great Pk at Half Moon Bay. You can follow #1 all the way down to Santa Cruz. Stay on #1 -to 101 UNLESS you want to go to Monterey.

Not sure how the Coast #1 is - so we went back to 101 to San Luis Obispo and down to - Pismo Beach ( nice RV Pk at Pismo)ETC. Down to Buellton (RV Pk here) AND VISIT SOLVANG - FOR SURE. I would then look to get out to #5. Many might say don't use 5 - I have never had a problem. I would head south on 5 to Chula Vista - one of the nicest RV parks here & you can tour the zoo and many other sights - Chula Vista RV & Marina - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Enough for now - We will head East next.

bbt
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

Clearly_West_Co
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
road2002runner wrote:
well - lets tour. My suggestion would be to get to the Oregon coast, as quick as possible. It is simply beautiful. My chosen route would be (roughly).
The crossing I would pick would be at Osoyoos - then 97 S. to 90 then to 82 S. and pick up 84 around Hermiston (RVPK) in Herm.then 84 W. to I-5 and S. to Longview and across W. to ASTORIA OR. then S. on 101. Many WONDERFULL stops at Or. Parks & a good price, or other private RV Pks. There are many & your rig is good to go ALL the way. This way you will miss Seattle & Tacoma.

SUGGESTION - I stop at all the town's Ch. of Com., or toursim office - lots of good info here.

I would stay in Florance - and make side trips - love Florance.

Once past Or. There are MANY great sights to see, and you are along the ocean - all the way.

Getting ready for supper - so I will carry on later.

bbt

That sounds like a very nice route!

Great info! We are off grid camping in the Shuswap Lake area. Looking forward to hearing more when we return home Friday! Hoping for wifi tomorrow ??

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
road2002runner wrote:
well - lets tour. My suggestion would be to get to the Oregon coast, as quick as possible. It is simply beautiful. My chosen route would be (roughly).
The crossing I would pick would be at Osoyoos - then 97 S. to 90 then to 82 S. and pick up 84 around Hermiston (RVPK) in Herm.then 84 W. to I-5 and S. to Longview and across W. to ASTORIA OR. then S. on 101. Many WONDERFULL stops at Or. Parks & a good price, or other private RV Pks. There are many & your rig is good to go ALL the way. This way you will miss Seattle & Tacoma.

SUGGESTION - I stop at all the town's Ch. of Com., or toursim office - lots of good info here.

Once past Or. There are MANY great sights to see, and you are along the ocean - all the way.

bbt

That sounds like a very nice route!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer

bbt
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Clearly_West_Co
Explorer
Explorer
road2002runner wrote:
C W C - sounds like an exciting trip. Would like to take it with you. BUT first some questions.

1st - what is your rig? Newmar Baystar 30' Gaser with toad

2nd do you want to hurry thru some spots, or stay and tour. As we have 5-6 months we are not in a hurry and we want to see the southern states

#3 how many hours do you want to drive a day - HOURS - NOT mileage. There is a great differance. Yes, there is a great difference! 2-3 hours per drive day

#4 when do you want to head east - a week, -two? on WEST coast. Probably 2 weeks. I'm guessing we will eventually want to get onto Hwy10.

#5 - assume you can make border crossing to WA. - your own way - where would you like to cross? Most likely Douglas Boarder crossing at Blaine Washington

I have done this = BUT from Van. Island - let me know. May be able to help.

BBT

Thanks in advance

Dave
Kelowna, BC

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
C W C - sounds like an exciting trip. Would like to take it with you. BUT first some questions.

1st - what is your rig?

2nd do you want to hurry thru some spots, or stay and tour.

#3 how many hours do you want to drive a day - HOURS - NOT mileage. There is a great differance.

#4 when do you want to head east - a week, -two? on WEST coast.

#5 - assume you can make border crossing to WA. - your own way - where would you like to cross?

I have done this = BUT from Van. Island - let me know. May be able to help.

BBT

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome and thanks for filling in your profile. With your rig you do not need hookups every night so no need to make advanced reservations, especially that time of year. After San Fran do you head to Yosemite or continue south on 1 ??? This decision may be made based on the amount of snow and road conditions in the mountains. You have the advantage of getting close to what you want to see and then using the Jeep to actually get there. I would probably to to the Monterey area and then do a day trip to the Hurst Castle on 1 and 101. I would then go to the Fresno area and day trip to Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon NPs.

New Years in Las Vegas would be interesting and I stay at Main Street Station downtown...$18 FHU. From Vegas Zion and Bryce are fairly close and depending on the weather you might be able to go north all the way to I-70 over to Moab and then back south to the South Rim. If too cold you can go straight to Page from the Zion area and then the South Rim. From there I'd head south for warmer weather and then east through TX. TX has a bunch of nice State Parks although by then the snowbirds are closer to the Rio Grande areas.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quite a ways past the Bay Area, during those months. I would suggest heading east on I-10 (or at least aim for that). Much more north of that, you definitely risk winter weather.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay on 101 past the Bay Area to stay away from winter white stuff.