cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Knoxville to Arizona December Return in Janurary

bfcantwell
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip out west and I am concerned with the upcoming cold and freezing weather.
We have a fifth wheel and have never done this type of trip. Hoping to go out I 40 and returning on I 10 then I 59.

Our rig does not have heated tanks!

Any suggestions of how to do this? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
BIllie
7 REPLIES 7

7ofus
Explorer
Explorer
We were stuck in the Walmart Parking lot in Winslow AZ for a few days a few years ago due to a quickly arriving storm in December. The problem was that we were heading west and the storm was heading east so it got bad real quick.

I do have some good pictures of the snowmen my kids made in the parking lot ๐Ÿ™‚

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I would advise to drop down to I-10 as soon as you can and take that both directions. Don't take I-40 in winter! Have a great trip but it's a short one. Can't you stay longer? Feb/March in Arizona is awesome - weather and desert flowers.

Totally agree surprise icy roads happen frequently on I40.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I would advise to drop down to I-10 as soon as you can and take that both directions. Don't take I-40 in winter! Have a great trip but it's a short one. Can't you stay longer? Feb/March in Arizona is awesome - weather and desert flowers.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Just watch the weather ahead of you. You will be fine unless a unusual weather event develops. Snow and ice on I-40 in NM and AZ is a rarity. Mostly there is sun and clear above freezing weather in the daytime.

You did not say how far west you want to go, but after you leave Flagstaff, AZ the temps get a lot warmer on I-40 westbound.

This is suppose to be a wetter winter but wetter is any moisture at all.

Temperatures at night will likely be below freezing, particularly at elevations over 5,000ft but, a long hard freeze is a rarity. It will happen once or twice, for a few days, over the course of a winter but not most days. Just do not leave a hose outside with water in it. Your heater should keep everything else warm enough.

The snow and coldest weather on I-40 is generally around Flagstaff, AZ so look at Flagstaff avg December and you will see it is around 15 at night and 45 in the day. It is predicted to be above average this year due to El Nino warming.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

mmccwill
Explorer
Explorer
Stay off I40 in Texas, New Mexico, & Arizona in the Winter -- Drop down to I20/I10 -- Less chance of snow -- However, I10 can get snow around El Paso & Tucson area -- William Willard

bfcantwell
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! We have a Komfort that says it is four seasons but nothing seems to be insulated.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have heated tanks and travel from AZ to Seattle and Denver mostly in the winter. We have never had a problem and we have been as low as -16f. IMO it is because we use the heater and not a portable many TT's these days, a Northwood for sure drop the forced air down into the tank area (also keeps the floors/feet warm :-)). Not sure about yours you may want to check.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars