cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lancaster PA to Outter Banks NC

4wlow
Explorer
Explorer
I plan on taking 95 and I know I need to avoid the tunnels due to the propane restrictions. I was looking for advise on taking Rt. 301 vs 95 from Washington to Richmond.
4 REPLIES 4

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
We've done the 301 route several times. Yes, there are a couple areas of shopping centers and traffic lights and the Nice Bridge does get your attention, it's narrow but not terribly long. Coming out of Jersey and heading South it's much nicer than the 95 zoo IMHO.

That said, 15 is a very nice ride also.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did 301 the other way on our way back from Hatteras this year. Easy ride. The bridge on the Potomac was a little scary.

Also consider Rt 15 south out of Harrisburg. We took this to Fredricksburg VA from Stroudsburg PA on our way to Hatteras. A bit longer but worth the extra for the views. This way also bypasses Balmer and DC.

SubVet is correct about the Norfolk tunnels. Before the tunnels, you just pull into a weigh station type area and the nice VA trooper verifies that your propane is turned off.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
However, the Baltimore tunnels do have restrictions:
http://www.learntorv.com/2013/11/road-tunnel-restrictions-near-maryland.html

That said, a lot of people prefer 301 to 95. It has lights and has a pretty ugly bridge from MD to VA called the Harry P. Nice bridge (don't let the name fool you- it's neither hairy nor nice).

I prefer I-95 and highways.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

SubVet
Explorer
Explorer
If you are talking about the bay bridge - tunnel, they do not restrict camper propane. You simply have to shut off the propane at the tank(s). I've taken a camper through the bay bridge - tunnel many times to get to the outer banks.
2014 Wolf Creek 840 on 2013 Ford F-350 Regular Cab
Frequently towing a modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon