cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mackinaw City bridge toll on I75?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are coming in from Sault Ste Marie MI, headed for Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground. We see that there is a toll bridge. Do they take cash? Mail bills by license plate, or do we need some kind of pass before we get there? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18

djbogue
Explorer
Explorer
We went across the bridge and back a couple of weeks ago. It's not that bad. Maybe you will even have someone pay for you like we did. It was a nice surprise.
2013 Chev Silverado, 2500HD D/A
2010 32' Mountaineer model 285rld

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
So you break even and spend two more hours driving around all the toll roads. Yea, I'll pass on that tip. I'll pay the toll and keep my free time.

Same here. I'll pay the toll just to cross the bridge. It's a cool experience and worth every penny.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matt_Colie wrote:
Just because some of you are interested:

The coach is a 23 GMC and does just under 10mpg.
From Marquette to our home is about 550 if you cross the bridge.
From Marquette to our home if we go around the west side of Lake Michigan is just over 600 miles.
I worked in Chicago for a while and know how to safely bypass all of the toll roads.
If I can hit the right Costcos and Krogers, that 15$ will pay for the extra fuel.

Don't even think about the Badger unless you want the boat ride. It is ~140$us for the coach and 60$us per head, got that? That is what I would pay on a cruise ship, and they feed you there.

As a guy that ran engine on iron boats for a good while, there is nothing about the Badger that I need to see.

Matt

I live in SE Michigan as well (see my location in my data line)... I would never consider driving across (94, I live just south of it) to 80 and up through the windy into Wisconsin and around. Way too long time wise and I despise Chicago drivers anyway. We have relatives just south of Cook County and everytime we visit, I get the heebie-jeebies dealing with the idiots that drive there.

Consequently, your reply makes no practical sens to me. The bridge was built as an easier way to access the UP and Wisconsin to the west and Canada to the east.

When we go to Illinois I always take 95 and white knuckle it through Cook County.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
So you break even and spend two more hours driving around all the toll roads. Yea, I'll pass on that tip. I'll pay the toll and keep my free time.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Just because some of you are interested:

The coach is a 23 GMC and does just under 10mpg.
From Marquette to our home is about 550 if you cross the bridge.
From Marquette to our home if we go around the west side of Lake Michigan is just over 600 miles.
I worked in Chicago for a while and know how to safely bypass all of the toll roads.
If I can hit the right Costcos and Krogers, that 15$ will pay for the extra fuel.

Don't even think about the Badger unless you want the boat ride. It is ~140$us for the coach and 60$us per head, got that? That is what I would pay on a cruise ship, and they feed you there.

As a guy that ran engine on iron boats for a good while, there is nothing about the Badger that I need to see.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Spend a dollar to save a dime perhaps.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
He didn't say it made sense.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
Drive around? Where? Nearest drive-around is Chicago or Sarnia Ontario. Or take a ferry at 10x the money.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Matt_Colie wrote:
And our antique GMC has a tandem instead of a dual rear axle (yes, according to SAE it is ONE axle) so we (at 9400#) pay the same toll as a fully loaded Greyhound buss. If you ask, they tell you it is a weight based toll. I can and do often drive around it to save the toll.

Matt

...or a tag (not powered) axle but still on the pavement none the less.

Drive around? that is interesting how do you do that (other than Wisconsin) and Illinois toll roads?
2015 Backpack SS1500

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
And our antique GMC has a tandem instead of a dual rear axle (yes, according to SAE it is ONE axle) so we (at 9400#) pay the same toll as a fully loaded Greyhound buss. If you ask, they tell you it is a weight based toll. I can and do often drive around it to save the toll.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
FYI: It's the ONLY toll road in Michigan!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Just stay away on Labor Day as the bridge will now be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles and busses transporting walkers during the bridge walk.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Been across in January and had to hole up in either St. Ignace or Mackinaw City until the bridge opened up. It's ferocious in the winter.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats true but you'll have to keep your eyes closed the whole time...lol

I've driven semi's across many times. My wife would hide in the sleeper...
2015 Backpack SS1500