cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Malmstrom AFB to Glacier Natl Park - St Mary's

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the map, it looks like I could head up I-15 for a ways before cutting over west but on which road - 2? Or would I be just as well off by heading up US-89 when leaving Great Falls?

I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips to map it a couple ways; what I am looking for is first hand thoughts. I'm be going in to St Mary's campground on 20th of June. Speed isn't really an issue but don't want to take a narrow smaller road if the scenery isn't worth it or if our rig size is inappropriate for the road.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited
5 REPLIES 5

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
its a junction, where 89 and 49 meet. If you look at a map, it is at the Y. Not sure of the spelling..it might be Kiona..

But never mind..your going to St Marys, you will not go through East Glacier. We always go to West Glacier and go in the park that way.

If we go to St Marys we take 464 (Duck Lake Road) coming out of Browning we turn left on Starr School Road and that heads west to 89. Theres a Gas station there.
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
In 2000 we used US-89 from Great Falls to US-2 in a 33' Winnabago Chieftain. If I was to go there again in current rig that's the way I would go. Happy trails.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
MontanaCamper wrote:
your in my area!!!! If you must stop around browning and you have pets...continue to east glacier...the path is through Browning, hang left where sdianel says to go straight, its only 20 min up the road....DO NOT let your pets out in browning...there are dogs running around and your dogs will pick up their fleas..It is more a curvy road than going straight, but East Glacier is a neat little town to stop and stretch your legs.

The road from KONA to St Marys is pretty narrow and lots of turns..no way around that.

if you need help, before you go PM me and I can meet you on the base if needed.

Where or what is KONA?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
your in my area!!!! If you must stop around browning and you have pets...continue to east glacier...the path is through Browning, hang left where sdianel says to go straight, its only 20 min up the road....DO NOT let your pets out in browning...there are dogs running around and your dogs will pick up their fleas..It is more a curvy road than going straight, but East Glacier is a neat little town to stop and stretch your legs.

The road from KONA to St Marys is pretty narrow and lots of turns..no way around that.

if you need help, before you go PM me and I can meet you on the base if needed.
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
From the St Mary KOA website: NOTE RV ROUTE BELOW.
On Highway 2, continue into Browning, MT. Proceed through several stop lights in town and you will see a large intersection with Highway 89 North. Take Highway 89 north (just go straight) to St. Mary approximately 16 miles. Highway 89 north from Browning is very curvy, scenic and crosses a mountain pass with a 6% grade into St. Mary. If you decide to drive your RV on this route, we highly recommend gearing down to give your breaks a chance to cool off. See โ€œnote to RVsโ€.

NOTE TO RVs: The straightest, least curvy route from Browning to St. Mary is Highway 464 also called Duck Lake Road. The entrance to this road is at the southern most stoplight in Browning and travels due north. (A major intersection) It is a well maintained, wide, straight road that travels north about 20 miles and meets Highway 89. Turn left and head south 8 miles to St. Mary. If you are towing or driving a long vehicle, this is the easiest route to St. Mary.
FROM MAPQUEST.COM : http://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=1-wLuFIibB
Sorry don't know how to make clicky.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi