cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MS "Streets & Trips" Being discontinued

gwgent11
Explorer
Explorer
MS S&T has been primary backup to portable GPS (for desktop/notebook use) and MS has announced that M&S 2013 will be the last iteration of their program and they have no plans to produce a follow-on product. The program will not be obsolete for some time, but maps and POI's WILL change and not be reflected in updates (POI's possibly through the Megafile , but maps not very likely). Thoughts about what available program could provide a satisfactory replacement would appreciate be appreciated,
17 REPLIES 17

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
ccxnola wrote:
My Garmin dashtop came with 'updates for life'!!
Who's life?? I'm not sure!!
BUT...about once a month I get it out of the vehicle and connect to the PC and Internet for an update. Sometimes it is quick (30 minutes) and sometimes it is hours (6+ overnight).
I use Street Atlas to plan (and sometimes Google earth to look at campgrounds and their surrounds) and Garmin (day-by-day) to navigate.

Works for me!!

I found out the "life" in the Garmin updates is only while the update still fits on the GPS. I tried to update my wife's Garmin and it wouldn't allow it. I emailed Garmin and I was told that the latest update is now too large for her GPS. My only options are to keep using it without updates, or buy another GPS. Garmin did offer 20% off a new unit if I buy direct from them.

Depending on your unit, you can extend the life for about $8-12 ... my ancient Garmin Nuvi 13xx (I forget the submodel), is from 2008. The first time I used its lifetime update in 2013, the update was too big for the built in memory. A quick trip to walmart and I picked up an 8gb micro-sd card for cell phones, and plugged it into the Nuvi. (There's a tiny slot on one of the sides the card fits into.) Now the updates download to that card, and there's more than enough room.

Thanks. I have an SD card laying around. I'll have to try that.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I expected this to happen. MS is abandoning many 'niche' products like S&T. Likely 98% of the people who use trip routing software are happy with Google or Bing.

I've found S&T to be wonderful and flexible for years. Will use it forever.

The flexibility to modify, adjust, plan simply can't be done with an on-line tool - especially since we are in areas without internet coverage often.

GPS units are too limited.

I'll have to look harder at Delorme Street Atlas.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
ccxnola wrote:
BUT...about once a month I get it out of the vehicle and connect to the PC and Internet for an update. Sometimes it is quick (30 minutes) and sometimes it is hours (6+ overnight).
I use Street Atlas to plan (and sometimes Google earth to look at campgrounds and their surrounds) and Garmin (day-by-day) to navigate.

Works for me!!

I found out the "life" in the Garmin updates is only while the update still fits on the GPS. I tried to update my wife's Garmin and it wouldn't allow it. I emailed Garmin and I was told that the latest update is now too large for her GPS. My only options are to keep using it without updates, or buy another GPS. Garmin did offer 20% off a new unit if I buy direct from them.

Depending on your unit, you can extend the life for about $8-12 ... my ancient Garmin Nuvi 13xx (I forget the submodel), is from 2008. The first time I used its lifetime update in 2013, the update was too big for the built in memory. A quick trip to walmart and I picked up an 8gb micro-sd card for cell phones, and plugged it into the Nuvi. (There's a tiny slot on one of the sides the card fits into.) Now the updates download to that card, and there's more than enough room.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Robin1953
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
Will the GPS-USB dongle that came with MS-S&S work with any other software or just S&S?
I have the MS GPS and it also works with Delorme Street Atlas.
2015 Grand Design Solitude 320X
2016 Ram 3500 DRW and Cummins

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
ccxnola wrote:

Works for me!!

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Kemahsabe wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
The roads aren't going anywhere.

What about new roads?

I guess where I've been traveling, there haven't been any new roads, at least, not ones I'd drive an RV down.

I use S&T for planning multi-state long haul type trips, which are either going to use pre WW2 highways and byways, or post WW2 interstates. Sure I guess interstates are still growing in terms of spur roads and bypasses, but the primary network is complete, so that's good enough for me.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

ccxnola
Explorer
Explorer

Works for me!!
2001 National Tradewinds 7370 mid-entry DP w/CAT 3126b Diesel
Look for the Mardi Gras 'Gators - Laissez le bon temps roulez - Let the good times roll!!

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Will the GPS-USB dongle that came with MS-S&S work with any other software or just S&S?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Double post.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using the 2011 version right now. I had an older version before that. I'll probably update to the 2013. My guess is that Microsoft doesn't want to mess with selling a product that most users only update every 3 or 4 years. Not enough volume. Some other publisher might think its worth it, though.
AAA has an enhanced membership for RVers. I'm going to check the local office here to see what that offers. Probably CG listings that honor AAA and maybe directions from the interstates. I tried Street Atlas but didn't like it - probably because I started with S & T.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

newk
Explorer
Explorer
Oh shoot! I use MS S&T daily for my job and was eagerly awaiting the new release so it would include new streets. Now what?!

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
I use MS S&T because they allow more stops than the online maps programs such as google
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
The roads aren't going anywhere.

What about new roads?

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
For many years I've been using Delorme for planning purposes for my job. It appears that they are no longer updating their product. Yes, they put out a new version every year but a lot of the data is out of date. Impossible to tell if it's updated at all.

Not uncommon to find 10+ year-old subdivisions with the streets shown but not the names. Sometimes there's a street name but no address information. I've seen 5-7 year-old subdivisions that aren't on the map at all.

I was thinking of switching to MS Streets and Trips to see if it's any better. Oh well...