cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice getting through Atlanta

tomcat5
Explorer
Explorer
We just found out this am we have to be in North Georgia tonight for family issue. We are leaving Pensacola Fl at noon and headed for Hiawassee which put us in Atlanta around rush hour. I have heard horror stories sbout this. Any advice on alternate routes to try to avoid this would be greatly appreciated.
2004 32'Coachman Santara class C
2007 Jeep wrangler unlimited 3rd row seating toad
22 REPLIES 22

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, it makes a big difference if you're going through in a car/van or a 60' rig combo. Without the RV, I'll go straight through the middle of town. But that's only because I have the maneuverability to quickly change lanes when one suddenly ends. Of course, all this can go out the window depending on accidents or breakdowns. Check FM 95.5 or AM 750 as you're approaching the city to find out current traffic conditions.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Straight through.
Pick a lane and stay there.
Drivers in Atlanta do not know what a turn signal is.
Like CA. They just change lanes , sometimes all at once.

Say hello to Matlock when going through.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

workhardplayha1
Explorer
Explorer
The bypasses are just as busy and longer. I stay on 75 and go through Atlanta.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Before coming to Florida I read all about the horror stories of the dreaded trip thru Atlanta. I planned all my trips to stay outside Atlanta in a CG and get up and leave at 6:00 am to go thru Atlanta the next morning. I do not do that anymore!

Maybe because I am from Chicago but going thru Atlanta is no big deal.
There is also a bypass route around it. But, that is just as well jammed during rush hour also. It did seem the roads were better on the bypass though.

I've have gone thru Atlanta during rush hour and it was not big deal. In fact I found the bypass loaded with semi's at any time a day and more of a pain driving a MH towing than going thru downtown.

I found the highway going to Orlando any time of day much more frightening!!! :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are coming up I85 just take the 285W bypass to 75N. Everything is hit or miss with rush hour traffic in ATL.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Roundtwo-40
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I am not a local but when we went through there WERE no alternate routes (except the bypass around by the airport) both are busy, the Long Haul guys tend to take the bypass route more..Pick a path, go to the bathroom outside of town, and breathe..
2013 Jayco Eagle 328RLTS w/15K AC
2013 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4X4
Equalizer 14K,PI PT30C Surge

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Straight through on I-75 has always been the best approach for us IMHO!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomcat5 wrote:
We just found out this am we have to be in North Georgia tonight for family issue. We are leaving Pensacola Fl at noon and headed for Hiawassee which put us in Atlanta around rush hour. I have heard horror stories sbout this. Any advice on alternate routes to try to avoid this would be greatly appreciated.

Go to http://www.mapquest.com/ and input your destination and origin addresses. Click on the route to move it to different places to see the different times and miles.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus