cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice getting through Atlanta

tomcat5
Explorer
Explorer
We just found out this am we have to be in North Georgia tonight for family issue. We are leaving Pensacola Fl at noon and headed for Hiawassee which put us in Atlanta around rush hour. I have heard horror stories sbout this. Any advice on alternate routes to try to avoid this would be greatly appreciated.
2004 32'Coachman Santara class C
2007 Jeep wrangler unlimited 3rd row seating toad
22 REPLIES 22

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
Unfortunately, I am a local. Since you are going to Hiawassee, your best approach will be from I-75 south of Atlanta, take I-675 to I-285, to I-85 to I-985 to Hwy 129 to Hwy 75A to Hwy 17 into Hiawassee.
Why not I75N to 575 and straight in from there. No more turns and 4 lane all the way.

That route certainly works, but is only 4 lane to Blairsville, and you have two lane surface streets infested with traffic lights and very low speed limits patrolled by police through Young Harris, Blairsville, Blue Ridge, and east Elijay. Also that route puts the poster through world class traffic from Mt. Zion Road in Henry County all the way to Woodstock in Cherokee County, a distance of over 60 miles. Your suggested route, depending on the time of day, could be 2 plus hours longer than my route.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
tomcat5 wrote:
Thanks for the Info. We will leave around 12:30 and I think we will stop south of Atlanta to eat. I think we lose an hour as well so we may be hitting Atlanta around 7:00. plan to try the I 75 straight through. Any good spots to eat south of Atlanta.

Not saying these are "good spots" but I've gotten decent food and there is parking for a big rig.

Around Locust Grove, (about 209 mile marker) there is a large shopping center on right that you will see before coming to the exit. There is a diner in the shopping center parking lot with plenty of room for parking. You have to exit to right, travel about two blocks, then right in the shopping center entrance.

At McDonough, there is a Cracker Barrel( about 218 mile marker). Across from the Cracker Barrel, there is a Lowes with large parking lot so you can park at Lowes and easily walk to Cracker Barrel. I can't remember the entrance to this one, but you can research on the internet if you like Cracker Barrel. It is several blocks from the exit.

I too think your best route is I75-I675-I285-I85. If you stop to eat below Atlanta, the rest of the trip will be easier. You may still find congestion before you get to McDonough.

There are a lot of alternates when you look at the map, but none of them move well during rush hours. We've tried many of them, but none work any better than sticking with the interstate.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
They are paving in downtown today (22nd) and this weekend. Suggest you catch 285 around to 85 north and then 985 up through Gainesville and then 441 to Clayton then over to Hiawassee
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bird Freak wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
tomcat5 wrote:
Thanks for the Info..... Any good spots to eat south of Atlanta.

Boy I wish I could remember the name of the place but there is this incredible silver replica of a diner and the food is "out of this world good". A lot of greek food on the menue but all of it is old world home cooked food and when they deliver your plate you think it's for the whole table of 6 but it's just yours! And ask for a piece of cake and they give a 1/4 of the whole cake. My friends took me there when we go to a sporting event outside Atlanta.

P.S. If you are taking your RV...Don't even think of stopping at the Flying J south of Atlanta, that's the one where the driveway alongside the dump station is seriously slanted 'away' from the dump connection.:R
I think your talking about the Marietta Diner on HWY 41.

Thanks for restoring the brain freeze!
5 years on the road and that place was the most memorable for food! :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am still wayne_tw wrote:
Unfortunately, I am a local. Since you are going to Hiawassee, your best approach will be from I-75 south of Atlanta, take I-675 to I-285, to I-85 to I-985 to Hwy 129 to Hwy 75A to Hwy 17 into Hiawassee.
Why not I75N to 575 and straight in from there. No more turns and 4 lane all the way.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you coming out of Fla. on I85 or I75? If I75 I would go straight thru to 575. It will take you straight to Hiawassee. If I85 i would take W 285 (Chattanooga) to I75N to 575. I am a local also.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
rockhillmanor wrote:
tomcat5 wrote:

Boy I wish I could remember the name of the place but there is this incredible silver replica of a diner and the food is "out of this world good". A lot of greek food on the menue but all of it is old world home cooked food and when they deliver your plate you think it's for the whole table of 6 but it's just yours! And ask for a piece of cake and they give a 1/4 of the whole cake. My friends took me there when we go to a sporting event outside Atlanta.

P.S. If you are taking your RV...Don't even think of stopping at the Flying J south of Atlanta, that's the one where the driveway alongside the dump station is seriously slanted 'away' from the dump connection.:R
I think your talking about the Marietta Diner on HWY 41.
Eddie
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Owner- The Toy Shop-
We love 56 T-Birds

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
I go straight through also, at 3 AM. Don't like traffic so I take a nap and go thru very late or early however you want to think of it.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
tomcat5 wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
tomcat5 wrote:
Thanks for the Info. We will leave around 12:30 and I think we will stop south of Atlanta to eat. I think we lose an hour as well so we may be hitting Atlanta around 7:00. plan to try the I 75 straight through. Any good spots to eat south of Atlanta.

Funny, you chose non-local suggested routes over local input...

After 7pm, won't be as bad.

I will let the visitors recommend good spots to eat.

(Honestly, although it may sound complicated, the final destination you are going, 675 - 285- I85 - I985 is the most direct route, and pretty easy drive).

Have a safe trip!

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

tomcat5
Explorer
Explorer
2004 32'Coachman Santara class C
2007 Jeep wrangler unlimited 3rd row seating toad

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
Okay from a LOCAL ~~~

First some of the above is incorrect:

"The bypasses are just as busy and longer. I stay on 75 and go through Atlanta." Incorrect

Just is timing and direction you are traveling.

"Ok I am not a local but when we went through there WERE no alternate routes (except the bypass around by the airport) both are busy, the Long Haul guys tend to take the bypass route more.."

Long Haul or Semi’s are not legally allowed to travel inside perimeter (unless delivering), so YES 285 will have a lot of Semi-Trucks (which you may find pro-semi drivers better at understanding how to drive a big-rig & respect for you towing).

To original poster, seeing you are heading to Hiawasse,
you need to get to I-85 on the North side up to I-985, leading you up into North GA.

If you getting into ATL area, this evening --->

TAKE 675 (following signs that say to Greenville, SC), 675 to 285(Perimeter Highway), to I-85 north.

675 and 285 –The bulk of the traffic will be going to other way (commuters heading out to the BURBS).

Now once up to I-85 on the topside, this will be conjested, but you will be outside of Atl downtown. Merge in and relax, best as possible.

Once up to I985, will be clear sailing, and up into North GA, enjoy!

Later,
Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Roundtwo-40 wrote:
the Long Haul guys tend to take the bypass route more..

They have to, its the law!