cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need suggestions planning trip from So-Cal to Oregon

c4morgan
Explorer
Explorer
Heading to our sons wedding in July and would like to know what types of road terrain to expect (specifically mountain passes and grades) in order to determine travel times.Plan to take 4 days traveling up to Oregon, 44' diesel pusher towing car, plan to stop near Sacramento, then Bend area, then Cascade Locks. Trying to plan our RETURN trip, we have 4 days and would like suggestions on different places to see on the way home. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cindy
11 REPLIES 11

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Gorge itself is worth several days of hiking, as is Mt. Hood. When we go to that area, we usually zoom up and back to maximize our Oregon time.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends.. Do you want to just 'get there' or do you want to take a 'scenic route'?

With 4 days on budget, you can probably do a little bit of both..

But, just saying between "So-Cal to Oregon" isn't much to go on... With that info, take I-5 until you have to go West or East..

I've done several trips between Washington State and Disneyland and driving I-5 the whole way (no RV in tow)... Get there in 2 long days of driving with one overnight stay around Sacramento..

Google Maps is a good guide too.. Just plug in your starting point and destination and it'll give you different options.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
On your return trip a stop in the Redwoods is a must,

This Place is Big Rig Friendly as are the people that run it,and with a Toad a great base to explore the Avenue Of Giants
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
c4morgan wrote:
Thanks everyone! We would definitely not take the 1 in our RV... Especially in the summer traffic!
Wedding is in the Gorge near the Cascade Locks so will be leaving from there! Thanks!

With such a quick trip; do you even need the toad?

In Bend:HERE Crownvilla RV Resort

Bend, Oregon isn't anywhere near what the temps will be in Sacramento. Probably only low 80's. Do the bypass around Bend and don't get fuel there.
There is a Pilot in Chemult (south of Bend) and Klamath Falls.

Oregon has raised the speed limit on 97 to 65.

101 in Oregon is slow going even in a car or riding a motorcycle. Figure on going about 45 or 50. Many,many rv parks and camp grounds, but they will be full in July.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

c4morgan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! We would definitely not take the 1 in our RV... Especially in the summer traffic!
Wedding is in the Gorge near the Cascade Locks so will be leaving from there! Thanks!

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would loop the trip and enjoy the entire journey. 395 north, 36, 44, 89, I-5, 97 to bend. Then get over to coast, take 101 down....... All the way to LA.

windinmyface2
Explorer
Explorer
HWY 1 southbound is not for the faint of heart...
lets go!!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
c4morgan wrote:
Heading to our sons wedding in July and would like to know what types of road terrain to expect (specifically mountain passes and grades) in order to determine travel times.Plan to take 4 days traveling up to Oregon, 44' diesel pusher towing car, plan to stop near Sacramento, then Bend area, then Cascade Locks. Trying to plan our RETURN trip, we have 4 days and would like suggestions on different places to see on the way home. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cindy

Depending on where the wedding is, I would not head through the Bend area in the summer time or the east side of Oregon, summer time is hot! But if the wedding is on the east side I would take off from the Cascade Locks on the Columbia river and go west over hyw. 26 over to hwy. 101 near Seaside. Very nice RV park just outside Sideside called Circle Creek. Then start heading south on 101 for a beautiful trip down the Oregon coast. In Calif. I would take Hwy. 20 through Clear Lake back to I-5 then head south. I would stop over night at the Kit Fox RV Park right off I-5 at Patterson. Call in advance for a pull through sight so you don't have to unhook. I would go west on Hwy. 46 over to San Louis Obispo the head south on 101 for some beautiful country. Then take hwy.26 at Ventura east to I-5 at the bottom of the Grape Vine.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not go on CA-1 with a 44' diesel pusher. Please don't!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
July in Sacramento isn't fun to me but I'd return on US Hwy 101 to San Francisco then continue south on CA Hwy 1 stopping at Monterey County Veterans Park, Plaskett Creek USFS campground, Hearst San Simeon SP and then home.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
going north on i-5 and 97. i would head to the coast and take 101 south.
lots to see and do both directions just depends on your interest.