cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Canadian currency melts?

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I went to local bank today to exchange U.S. currency for Canadian for our upcoming RV trip through Canada to Alaska. As I was preparing to exit the bank, the teller mentioned to me NOT to leave the new Canadian currency in the glove box of a vehicle or a hot camper because it was made of plastic and it would melt and that would render it unusable and of ZERO value.

Just what I need is a fist full of useless plastic! :E Is it true that these new Canadian bills will melt in hot environments and have any of my fellow RVers had issues with them?

Lakeside
47 REPLIES 47

kodiakcanuck
Explorer
Explorer
Its nowhere near hot enough for money to melt in a glove box or trailer in Canada :B
2011 Kodiak 240KSSL
Husky Center Line WDH
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Outdoorsman 3:92,8-speed,5.7L HEMI
2007 Kodiak 214 HTT (prior)
2010 Dodge RAM 1500 4x4, 3:55, 5.7L (prior)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to see if the top of my toaster oven gets that hot. if so can I borrow a couple of $100s from the naysayers to test out?
bumpy

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
free radical wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
I went to local bank today to exchange U.S. currency for Canadian for our upcoming RV trip through Canada to Alaska. As I was preparing to exit the bank, the teller mentioned to me NOT to leave the new Canadian currency in the glove box of a vehicle or a hot camper because it was made of plastic and it would melt and that would render it unusable and of ZERO value.

Just what I need is a fist full of useless plastic! :E Is it true that these new Canadian bills will melt in hot environments and have any of my fellow RVers had issues with them?
Lakeside

It will melt if subjected to very high temperatures,
So after washing clothes check theres none inside the pockets before putting these in the clothes dryer!
That would be the only high temps that it may get accidentally exposed to imo

I hope you arent foolish enough to leave any money in the glove box..

Don't think clothes dryers go to 246'F!!!!!!! That would be a roaring fire!!!!!
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

kcmoedoe
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
These notes have been used in Europe and Australia for years. They aren't new.

Technology developed in Australia, then sold to other countries
There is no doubt, however, that plastic money was first created in America. It is commonly referred to as the Credit Card. But don't worry, you still corner the market on Kangaroos, platypuses and Animal experts who get killed by sting rays.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:

Lakeside

It will melt if subjected to very high temperatures,
So after washing clothes check theres none inside the pockets before putting these in the clothes dryer!
That would be the only high temps that it may get accidentally exposed to imo

I hope you arent foolish enough to leave any money in the glove box..

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
pappcam wrote:
I can't believe a teller would pass along erroneous info like that. It's her job to know about money and she passes along info she probably saw on farcebook. Nice.

You are correct, but I just chock it up to poor training, supervision for the teller and/or low pay, meaning you get monkeys for peanuts! :R

Lakeside

pappcam
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:

Lakeside

I can't believe a teller would pass along erroneous info like that. It's her job to know about money and she passes along info she probably saw on farcebook. Nice.
2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
2011 F150 XLT 5.0

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Orion wrote:
lakeside013104 wrote:
Orion wrote:
We always tell people on here to buy their Canadian currency when they actually get to Canada, as there is much more currency exchanged in Canada and normally the rates are better.
As a matter of interest, what rate did you actually pay?

Answer:

1.05252% was the exchange rate received from my local bank.

lakeside

Interesting! So for every $100(US) you gave the bank, they gave you $105.25Cdn.? but as they wouldn't give you Canadian coin, they would have to give you an even amount of Canadian dollars. So if you bought $100 Cdn from them, they would charge you $95.01US.?
I just checked the Royal Bank website and they would pay you $105.87 Cdn for your $100US. TODAY. Not as much difference as I thought, that's why you have to make sure that you have the rates the 'right way round'. Exchange rates can be VERY confusing!

You are correct and I agree, very confusing.

Lakeside

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
Orion wrote:
We always tell people on here to buy their Canadian currency when they actually get to Canada, as there is much more currency exchanged in Canada and normally the rates are better.

Answer:

lakeside

Interesting! So for every $100(US) you gave the bank, they gave you $105.25Cdn.? but as they wouldn't give you Canadian coin, they would have to give you an even amount of Canadian dollars. So if you bought $100 Cdn from them, they would charge you $95.01US.?
I just checked the Royal Bank website and they would pay you $105.87 Cdn for your $100US. TODAY. Not as much difference as I thought, that's why you have to make sure that you have the rates the 'right way round'. Exchange rates can be VERY confusing!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
lakeside013104 wrote:
... Oh yes, my mother in law is in the box, also. Enjoy.

We put the old folks, respectfully called "elders" here, on ice floes and set them free. Polar bears call'em "lunch".

:B
:E
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
AKsilvereagle wrote:
As a public service, I will store and caretake your Canadian currency, here in the cooler temps of Canada's far north.

Please send without a self-addressed stamped envelope.

And to preserve your privacy and ensure I don't sell you personal data, please don't tell me who you are.

Sue, that post looks like one of those typical automated Nigerian email scams a lot of RV.Net members seem to get when they post their spam messages they receive under the campfire ๐Ÿ™‚

That was funny LOL.

Can't be Nigerian.

The grammar is correct and there are no misspelled words.:B

Those two items violate the "Outgoing Nigerian Spam Laws."

It is very funny however.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
lakeside013104 wrote:
sue.t wrote:
As a public service, I will store and caretake your Canadian currency, here in the cooler temps of Canada's far north.

And to preserve your privacy and ensure I don't sell your personal data, please don't tell me who you are.

Ha ha ha ha ha... The floor is very cold here the first this this morning. After I got done laughing and picked myself up I will attempt to post this reply.

Sue, You are so kind to make this offer. The cash is in the mail! The address I used was:
Sue
Great White North

It is a rather large box, so it will be heavy. I mailed "over night" express, so look for it tomorrow or the day after.

Oh yes, my mother in law is in the box, also. Enjoy.

Lakeside

:E

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Orion wrote:

Answer:

lakeside

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:

And to preserve your privacy and ensure I don't sell your personal data, please don't tell me who you are.

Ha ha ha ha ha... The floor is very cold here the first this this morning. After I got done laughing and picked myself up I will attempt to post this reply.

Sue, You are so kind to make this offer. The cash is in the mail! The address I used was:
Sue
Great White North

It is a rather large box, so it will be heavy. I mailed "over night" express, so look for it tomorrow or the day after.

Oh yes, my mother in law is in the box, also. Enjoy.

Lakeside

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard the old saying that money just burns a hole in the pocket of some people. Probably true. But never had any problem with Canadian currency melting. LOL But I have had some issues with it cracking. Most of the time I don't carry a wallet, just fold my money, stuff my driver's license, a credit card and a debit card inside, all secured with a money clip. I suspect it is the lower/lesser rag content of the Canadian bills that will cause them to crack at the fold, at times. Then when I go to pull one out of the money clip, at times I only get half of the bill and have to tape it back together. Wouldn't be a problem, I guess if I carried them in a wallet and not folded with the fold pressed tight.

Anyway with that slight difference, the main problem I have with Canadian money, even before the switch over to the new bills, is that it tends to disappear on me, too quickly. Just gone in a few days. Wonder how long a person will have to save their Canadian pennies, before they become rare and valuable? Or perhaps the US could buy all the unused Canadian pennies from the Canadian mint at face value. I understand it now costs more to make a penny than the face value of it. May be time for the US to drop the penny as well.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".