cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New England in July or August?

BobnMelba
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any bad things about New England trip in July or August such as a lot of bugs or negatives that would make a different time better? Not hoping for the leaf looking season.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

BobnMelba
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning this trip for our 50th anniversary so the timing is flexible and am planning 5 or 6 weeks to leave NW Arkansas to Niagra Falls to Boston to DC to Nashville and back home. Could take longer if we can work out Dr. appointments! You know how that goes at our age!

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
We were in New England a couple of years ago during late August and very early September. The weather was excellent and, while it was somewhat busy, a lot of people with children were a home because school was either starting or soon to start. We were able to get into restaurants without waiting and the usual tourist areas didn't seem overly crowded. If we go out there again we will likely go at the same time.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
Coastal Maine from Boothbay north is rarely hot. We rarely break 90. Typical would be low 80's day and 60's night. There is usually one big heat wave in July when the sea breeze stops and it can get quite hot and muggy. But since the water temps barely break 60, we are usually very comfortable right on the coast. Go five miles inland and it can be 10 degrees warmer. Most people and even businesses don't have central air in Boothbay. Did see a 4th of July weekend hit 102 about 10 years ago and not a breath of wind. But along the coast it can get chilly at night even in mid summer.
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. ๐Ÿ™‚

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Either month can be hot, humid and muggy with storms. During both months, the bugs are about the same. Up side to the coast is there are almost always breezes that keeps bugs to a minimum. If you choose July don't plan on the week before or after the 4th-most likely there aren't many campsites left. My choice of the two months would be mid-to-late August (if you can handle a VERY busy Labor Day weekend). Things quiet down some as may schools now start before Labor day, the weather is USUALLY cooling down and the bugs are starting to wane. If you can hold off and go in early September, that would be my choice. Much less crowded, most main attractions still open on weekends, and generally much better weather.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

JimFromJersey
Explorer
Explorer
Without a bit more info, it's difficult to say. Weather wise, there is not going to be a big difference. What WILL make the difference is elevation. If you're down along the coastal areas, that time of year is muggy, hot, humid, possibly stormy, and rife with gnats and mosquitos. If you're up in the White Mountains or along the shores of Lake Champlain, it's a whole 'nother story. Less humid, cooler nights, and probably not so many insects. Also be aware that there are a LOT of people around New England, and they all take vacations in July and August.
Always remember, you're a unique individual. Just like the other 7 billion people on the planet...

SubVet
Explorer
Explorer
What part of New England are you planning to visit? I live in the southern lakes region of Maine.
2014 Wolf Creek 840 on 2013 Ford F-350 Regular Cab
Frequently towing a modified 2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Get your reservations in. New England has a short camping season and lots of people.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000