cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Gas Stations Are Opening

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
New and revamped stations that are appearing here in the northern part of Mexico. Change is coming.

More to come I'm sure.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog
77 REPLIES 77

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like things are working as planned. They may not be the lowest prices in the world but even fuel prices are slowly rising again in the U.S. On my recent trip to Colombia fuel prices are the same as in Mexico.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Comision federal de Electricidad tarifa basico y intermedio se augmentar a 20%.
Gasolinera Pemex in Houston Vende gasolinas for $1.00 gal less than Mexico, because property and labor costs way less than it does in La Prepublica.

Subsidized? Exactly what are you people smoking? You need to live IN MEXICO with Mexicanos, understand exactly how the proveedores are raising prices NOW because of the rise in price of los comistibles to see the effects. Pemex y la cruda was a gigante cash cow for los ricos en Mexico. I took the time in 2008 to actually WALK los edifiios y estancionamientos for Hacienda and Petroleos Mexicanos en Centro. BMWs, Lincoln Navigators, Audi's, Escalades.

Keep reading those newspapers. I am forced to deal with the books and el contador for a very large mercado y taller mechanico. Pemex went broke. You people argued that I was wrong a year ago and for me this forum is similar to watching un caricatura de Pato Pascual. It's actually sad. ADIOS...

Your continued need to prove to everyone how well you (think) you know Mexico and what a savvy Expat you are by mixing Spanish words and phrases into your posts is what I find off-putting. You also seem to think that your view is the ONLY view of Mexico that counts. I speak Spanish. But you must realize that on this site on this forum what you do is nothing more than a sad game of one-ups-manship that I have witnessed by far too many expats over the years all over the world.

It's simply tiresome.

And it is sad on another level because you obviously have a point of view and some valuable insight at times to share. But I for one cannot get past your delivery and your demeaning attitude to all of us experienced smart folks that just don't happen to live in Mexico and don't agree with you.

So with all due respect to your Adios I say, Good Riddance.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I've agreed with you all along. That was the purpose of this thread.

What would you expect from people who hold high level positions? In any country they all drive nice cars. If I were an executive in a Mexican company or held a high governmental position I too would demand a higher salary. Education, smarts, savvy all have a price.

Have you ever seen a poor CEO? I can say that Mexico has a lot less problems than our neighbors.

Also, I get all of your post, but it's not fair to the rest who may not have a cultural clue or Spanish.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Comision federal de Electricidad tarifa basico y intermedio se augmentar a 20%.
Gasolinera Pemex in Houston Vende gasolinas for $1.00 gal less than Mexico, because property and labor costs way less than it does in La Prepublica.

Subsidized? Exactly what are you people smoking? You need to live IN MEXICO with Mexicanos, understand exactly how the proveedores are raising prices NOW because of the rise in price of los comistibles to see the effects. Pemex y la cruda was a gigante cash cow for los ricos en Mexico. I took the time in 2008 to actually WALK los edifiios y estancionamientos for Hacienda and Petroleos Mexicanos en Centro. BMWs, Lincoln Navigators, Audi's, Escalades.

Keep reading those newspapers. I am forced to deal with the books and el contador for a very large mercado y taller mechanico. Pemex went broke. You people argued that I was wrong a year ago and for me this forum is similar to watching un caricatura de Pato Pascual. It's actually sad. ADIOS...

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
No gas hike tomorrow the government has postponed the increase for latter, there were massive protest planned for tomorrow and the government decided to not steer the pot too much.

In other news the Colima volcano burped hard today at about 18.00 Central time, the Popocatepetl volcano is breathing hard also, a mote of history Hernan Cortez's men climbed Popo to get sulfur to make gun powder.

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I have to say again that there are many Mexican governmental departments that actually do quite a bit for the down and out, special needs and the elderly. The problem I see is that the government does a poor job, like in the U.S., of letting the population know what is available to them.

Sedesol, DIF, Liconsa, Oportunidades are just a few that provide excellent services. It's about getting the information to the people in rural areas.

It's unfortunate when I have to give talks to parents in schools informing them of the benefits that exist. I'm not a fan of NGOs. I think we pay in taxes for programs that exist and should be taken advantage of.

How many people know that in more than 65% of the Mexicans states exists a program 65 o Mas (similar to the "old age pension")? Granted, it's not much but 1000 pesos a month buys a lot of food in Mexico.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Dani3l: If you go the tink that I posted you will see that this Foundation is doing the things you mentioned. They work with children. Not only do they provide a hot breakfast for primary kids they teach: honesty, hygiene and much more. The kids get to go on a few trips to HMO. But as you stated the parents are hopeless. The men drink and chase women. The families have too many kids and something like 50 % of the men beat their wives when they come home drunk. But the people at the foundation persist. Hopefully the kids will turn out better than their parents. I am told that this "culture" is all over the West Coast. We stopped the Xmas food program as I felt the money could be spent on something better. The men would stop working 2 weeks before Xmas as they knew 40 lbs. of food was coming. But at least the children got a good meal.

Btw: One of today's paper had something about a 8% rise in the cost of fuel. Later in February the price will be adjusted whenever the world price of oil or the peso changes.

Moisheh

I will be the first to admit that there are some Good NGO's out there doing good work. And I really urge you to read Dark Star Safari. But I have seen first hand many many times, in fact on a regular basis the millions of dollars wasted by NGO's such as Save The Children.

I have watched as one day STC descended into a neighborhood in Cambodia, rounded up a bunch of kids, handed out T shirts and took a series of photos for their fundraising purposes. In the end they were portrayed as Orphans (Big business in SE Asia) To my knowledge all of the kids came from homes and families on that street. They were just glad to get a new T shirt.

And how does STC spend this money they raise from well meaning folks like you and others?

They had full color expensive coated paper NOTEPADS printed in Singapore and handed them out to virtually any business or person who wanted one. Oh yeah...on each page was a slogan related to Child Protection or how wonderful STC was. And their staff? They live in great homes and drive brand new Land rovers or Toyota Land Cruisers and make very good First World wages. (I dont begrudge them this but let's be honest about how the money is spent)

In my personal experience STC is like so many other NGO's very little of the money actually gets to those the givers think it will. Too many of them are there to promote a religious agenda or ideology most often Christian or some version thereof. In fact I have witnessed many times these NGO's insist that the people that need the help must first listen to the preaching before receiving any handout or help. And the pressure to give up their own religion is severe. I have seen this in Mexico on several occasions.

I say all of this so people will think twice and investigate thoughtfully any NGO that is asking for your money. Ask the hard questions.

America and Canada are made up of mostly generous caring people, unfortunately too many are naive about the developing world, NGO's and the huge global business of AID.

Never doubt that your trip with your RV to Mexico does good. The money you spend in Gas or Fuel, Food, Gifts, Staying in RV parks or campsites and all the other money you spend does help at the local level and improves lives. It increases employment, English literacy (a ticket to a better job almost everywhere)food security and upward mobility.

Go for sure and do not ever let some expat living off of his Social Security try to make you feel guilty because you are not part of the "culture" as he thinks he is.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
Quick Google found these news items about gasoline prices.

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2016/12/27/1136493

http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2017/01/05/1136526

http://www.animalpolitico.com/2017/01/compras-panico-colapsaron-gasolineras-alistan-protestas-alza-combustibles/

http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/articulo/cartera/tu-cartera/2017/01/2/los-aumentos-de-precios-que-llegaron-con-el-2017

http://elpais.com/especiales/2016/precio-gasolina-mexico-2017/

http://sipse.com/mexico/aumento-precio-gasolina-magna-salario-minimo-mexico-236879.html

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
News papers in Mexico City, I am currently living in Mexico City at my house that the wife and I own, not speculating just mentioned what every one in Mexico City knows, there is a couple of massive protests scheduled since I do care about them I do not have the exact date, I heard from my sister in law that one is for next Sunday she is post poning a visit with her sister, I have better things to do with my time.

navegator

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
navegator wrote:
I am not speculating, that was anounced in the news paper so if the price goes down great! if not ya nos fregamos otravez!

navegator

Any references would be appreciated.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
You're right. It's part of the culture. I have thought about this all day. Daniel is correct. It's not with money. With your foundation, and I'm glad you no longer give handouts, why not offer scholarships for job training. Let's face it. A fisherman working a skiff alone is only sustenance income or day by day living. Technical training, learning how to repair things, tourism, etc. Scholarships to encourage kids to stay in secondary and high school. It's not a macho thing to go to school and that is cultural.

In most cases, money isn't needed for the above. It's guidance that cannot come from the home unless the parents have education.

As I stated several years ago, my SO was working on and is now finished with his PhD in Education. His dissertation was on dropout rates in high schools. In all 1000 surveys in seven states we visited, the end result was lack of interest not economics.

Let's face it. Day to day living in rural and coastal communities in Mexico is still viable and that's why it continues to this day. Here in my community people live, and fairly well, by selling chile del monte, peyote in season, cabrito, and home grown vegetables. They collect leรฑa for cooking and heating. Most kids finish secondary and thatยดs about it.

Look at the southeastern states of the U.S. Pretty much the same.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Dani3l: If you go the tink that I posted you will see that this Foundation is doing the things you mentioned. They work with children. Not only do they provide a hot breakfast for primary kids they teach: honesty, hygiene and much more. The kids get to go on a few trips to HMO. But as you stated the parents are hopeless. The men drink and chase women. The families have too many kids and something like 50 % of the men beat their wives when they come home drunk. But the people at the foundation persist. Hopefully the kids will turn out better than their parents. I am told that this "culture" is all over the West Coast. We stopped the Xmas food program as I felt the money could be spent on something better. The men would stop working 2 weeks before Xmas as they knew 40 lbs. of food was coming. But at least the children got a good meal.

Btw: One of today's paper had something about a 8% rise in the cost of fuel. Later in February the price will be adjusted whenever the world price of oil or the peso changes.

Moisheh

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
I am not speculating, that was anounced in the news paper so if the price goes down great! if not ya nos fregamos otravez!

navegator

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Daniele: Please tell me just what in that quote you posted is outdated. I see the poverty every day and work with organizations that are trying to make change. For 7 years I ran a charity that provided food for the needy every Xmas. Some of those people live in cardboard shacks with no running water. Kids and dogs everywhere. They get next to no help from DIF. So my posts are based on what I see in my Mexico. There are hundreds of villages along the coast that are the same. This is in sharp contrast to the wealth that prevails in many large cities. There is more than one Mexico! So just what is outdated in my post?
Foundation

Moisheh

Let me explain: after my service during Vietnam in the USAF I joined the Peace Corps and was sent to West Africa, after my PC tour I worked for USAID designing appropriate technology for developing economies. I have lived in truly poor countries that make Mexico look like Switzerland including Egypt, Cambodia and Nigeria to say nothing of Sierra Leone, Senegal and Liberia.

I know poverty well probably much better than you. And I can tell you without a doubt that you could go to any of those countries and empty out your entire bank account on some poor beggar in the street and it would have absolutely ZERO effect on the problem.

The problems of poverty are structural at a very deep level and some are in fact cultural. I came to the conclusion long ago that the money that is spent by tourists, whether they are driving RV's or flying in is one of the most important factors in raising the standard of living for so many in truly poor countries.

Further there is nothing that irritates me more than the expats who claim the moral high ground because they "live" in a place that is poor and smugly think they are better than the tourist or the visitor.

Read Paul Theroux's book Dark Star Safari for a real look at this issue.

The way to cure the issues of poverty is to create jobs. I did that with my businesses overseas. And in one country alone my one hundred employees were conservatively speaking, supporting 400 people. With the good salaries they EARNED by working for me. They didnt do it with handouts.

So please do not lecture me on poverty in the developing world. It is good that your intentions are in the right place but I think as far as Mexico goes you are a bit out of date overall.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
moisheh wrote:
But if as you wrote the increase is a good thing then Mexicans will have no need to hold rallies. They will be joyous that they cannot afford to drive their cars. Do not hold your breath waiting for gasoline to drop in price!

Moisheh

You don't get out much, do you?
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS