cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New RV Parks

rvmex
Explorer
Explorer
I have traveled in my motor home almost all over Arizona, Nevada and part of California and always looking for new RV Parks but have not find any, can any body explain me why there are no new RV Parks, or what is happening.....

Thanks....
12 REPLIES 12

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
We boon-dock more than RV park because of all the rude people anymore. Party into the wee hours, walk through your site, use your site, noisy, kids think they can run all over your lot, dogs, just a mess. So I agree with above where they say RV parks are full of just rude people so they are going away.

I thought of buying a RV park to retire at (Maine intrigued me), but the customer interactions I read about on several forums we decided not to.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

rvmex
Explorer
Explorer
I rally appreciate all your answers, ....Muchas Gracias ...

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We have a few new RV parks in our area. They mainly cater to the seasonal users. Instead of renting or owning a second home on the lake, they park their RV there instead.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
RV Parks are expensive to build. There are many government requirements such as waste treatment, water treatment, environmental impact studies etc. that have to be met. Suitable land (close to a desired destination or city) is very expensive. RV parks are generally not considered good neighbors (neighbors see noise, traffic and run down trailer parks) so there is often opposition. Construction loans for RV parks are virtually unavailable, so a park builder has to pay for the construction out of pocket. It takes several years to build a client base and for advertising to take effect, so they need to be able to handle negative cash flow for several years. You may see a park built in a financially bullet proof location or one built by an individual a few sites at a time, but I wouldn't expect to see many mid size to large parks being built in areas where the customer base will mostly be travelers. Too Risky and expensive.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
I think rvmex Fausto was asking about parks in the US - he said AZ and CA?

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
We do see new parks in some areas but many of them have now come up with the idea of "selling" spaces so you "own" a space and then pay maintenance. Something beyond my comprehension. Then "owners" pay maintenance fees and hope to rent the space when they are not there. Some people have motorhomes to stay in one place - a phenomenon we do not subscribe to. RVs are for traveling - especially a motorhome. So we think many "baby boomers" retire and buy an expensive RV and then park. Not sure as it seems very strange. We have seen other new RV parks in CA but mostly near wine country where they charge high rates. With fuel prices lower this year there could be more snowbirds heading south. Other than that I have no idea why more parks are not happening as the RV industry claims many RVs are being sold. We do not know where they all go. In winter we have seen thousands boondocking in AZ. We do not understand that either as buying and expensive RV should mean you can afford to pay to park it. Maybe if more people parked in RV parks the parks would lower their rates - but wait - maybe if RV parks lowered their rates more people would park there. Fix the parks up and charge reasonable rates and maybe the parks will fill again?

We are starting to avoid parks charching in us dollars. We are probably moving a 17 rig caravan from a park doing this in Mazatlan . they will lose 17 rigs for a week. Hopefully they will get the message. Support parks that charge fair prices in pesos whenever you can.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
2 i am aware of,1 in Oaxaca and one south of manzanillo. Plus color Marino and las gloriashave reopened.

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
We do see new parks in some areas but many of them have now come up with the idea of "selling" spaces so you "own" a space and then pay maintenance. Something beyond my comprehension. Then "owners" pay maintenance fees and hope to rent the space when they are not there. Some people have motorhomes to stay in one place - a phenomenon we do not subscribe to. RVs are for traveling - especially a motorhome. So we think many "baby boomers" retire and buy an expensive RV and then park. Not sure as it seems very strange. We have seen other new RV parks in CA but mostly near wine country where they charge high rates. With fuel prices lower this year there could be more snowbirds heading south. Other than that I have no idea why more parks are not happening as the RV industry claims many RVs are being sold. We do not know where they all go. In winter we have seen thousands boondocking in AZ. We do not understand that either as buying and expensive RV should mean you can afford to pay to park it. Maybe if more people parked in RV parks the parks would lower their rates - but wait - maybe if RV parks lowered their rates more people would park there. Fix the parks up and charge reasonable rates and maybe the parks will fill again?

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Some RV parks are on pretty expensive "today" real estate, and I will give you an example.

In Imperial Beach at the end of the San Diego Bay for many years there was a park, Bernardo Shores, during the 37 seven years that we lived there I watched them improve and really invest in the park, in July of this year we stayed one week and found out that they were closing for good, I asked why close after so many years and investment, since they were always full in winter with the snow birds.

His answer in a way I expected, they were tiered of rude insensitive persons that do not respect simple common sense rules and think that they are entitled to be nasty, mind you they always had big A class and big 5th wheel units, by converting the land into condominiums they will make more money and have less expense in maintenance.

So many places are going away, I mentioned Bernardo, the KOA in Chula Vista is going to be next, they ave all ready had it up for sale, I do not know if it is still on the market, the last one in the South of San Diego La Pacifica has been converted into a trashy trailer park, it is not nice to wake up to noise out side your door and have a couple of SWAT officers pointing guns at you, or smelling the dope addict next door, we got out of there faster than a bullet.

It is a shame thst they are going away, only big high end parks are being opened the kind that look down the nose kus you aint got a big expensive rig.

navegator

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Because it has a poor return on investment dollar.
SInce many parks are not running near capacity there is no unmet demand.

Increased park space would lead to a decrease in the average rate charged for a space. Since the Canadian dollar has tanked some parks have been offering incentives to fill unrented spaces. Building of new parks would further expand inventory. leading to a further degradation of average rental price.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
No one whats to but up with the likes of me.....:E

I think your spell check has gone out of control!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
No one whats to but up with the likes of me.....:E
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro