cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Road Trip TX to FL

jkc306
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,I'm planning a trip from Longview Tx to Garner NC. Want to go via LA, MS, AL, FL,GA,SC to NC. Any recommendations on best time to travel thru these states (season,months); highways. We'll be driving a 2017 Class A Thor ACE 30.3. Any insights will be helpful to a newbie

Thank You!!
John Contreras
6 REPLIES 6

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Stay away from I-10 in Louisianna the WORST road I have traveled on?!!!! Just came to FLA from East Texas and it is terrible.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
These are, for the most part, routes that are familiar to me. I will give you one possibility that fits into the states you have mentioned.

Of course, I-20 to Shreveport, but you could take the South loop around to I-49. One good possibility for overnight would be Poche's Market and RV Park at Breaux Bridge, LA. Great Cajun food at their restaurant.

Continue from there on I-10. Several possibilities for overnight:
Buccaneer State Park in Mississippi, Gulf State Park in Alabama, or best of all, Fort Pickens Campground National Seashore near Pensacola, FL.

In Georgia there is Blyth Island Regional Park near Brunswick, GA. From there you have Savannah, Charleston, and Myrtle Beach. Make your own choice.

Then on to Garner, NC. We have stayed at all the parks mentioned and many more along this same route. All great choices.

EDIT to add: I live 20 miles north of Longview. Will be glad to answer any specific questions about this route or my suggestions. Please use a PM (Private Message) if I can be of more help.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
All depends on what you want out of it I suppose. It's pre leaf peeping season yet so traffic is on the normal side. The weather is still warm but then you are from TX so you can handle it. I see your route will be mostly I-20....all the way to Florence SC then 95 to 40 and on into Garner. The only park on your way I can recommend is Tannehill Ironworks state park a few miles before you get into Birmingham. You might consider staying 2 days or so if you can.

I agree with going before the snowbird migration, they tend to clog up the campgrounds for overnight stops. I think anytime between now and Thanksgiving would be good time to go.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Can't help much. But as you approach Shreveport, take I-220 around the north side of Shreveport/Bossier City. That stretch of I-20 is (or at least was) the roughest stretch of interstate I have ever been on. Unless someone here has been across it recently and can say they have repaired it, I would avoid it.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
NOW!

Post-summer vacationers
Pre-snowbirds

Happy travels!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress