Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern California -> Yellowstone July 2015

roadnerd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I'm new here ๐Ÿ˜‰

Up until just recently, we were long time tent campers.

After several years of discussion about getting a rig (and many cold nights,sore backs and wondering how we were going to cram all that camping******back into our Subaru Outback), we recently purchased a 26' 2008 Keystone Sprinter, which will be pulled by a 2003 F250 Diesel (yes, a 6.0 - I'm still bulletproofing it ๐Ÿ˜‰ ).

This is our 1st RV, and we're very excited - we're trying to have as much time with our children (son, 12 and daughter , 15) before they grow up and move on, and also have something to do as we move into being childless (although I won't be surprised if one or both of my kids are living at home 15 years from now, but that's a different topic..hehe)

Anywho... Our 1st big trip will be in early July of 2015. We will be camping our way from our home in Fairfield, CA to Yellowstone NP, trying to average about 300 miles a day, with several days in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We'll be taking Interstate 80 up over Donner summit and into Reno, across Nevada and then up into Idaho and finally Wyoming. None of us have ever been in this part of the country (Idaho and Wyoming)

Any words of advice on this route/time of year, or anything else? Any good side trips? I have reservations for almost all of if (the important parts in particular: Yellowstone and Grand Tetons). With the exception of the climb over the Sierras , I think this is the most approachable drive into Yellowstone (w/respect to elevation and pulling a trailer)- is that correct? We'll be doing several short shakedown trips before the big trip to learn the rig.

Thanks in advance!
--Brendan
2003 Ford F250 Powerstroke (yes, a 6.0 ๐Ÿ™‚ )
2008 Keystone Sprinter 264BHS
20 REPLIES 20

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
It's out of the way, but consider a side trip to the north rim of the grand canyon, near Las Vegas! It is much less crowded than the south rim. The road is flat and you can camp along the way if you want to (national forest). You could go to Zion, too :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
I would take it easy going over the Sierra's. It's a fairly hard climb; best not to push your rig too much. Don't be in a rush and remember it's not a car (brakes)

Many would find 200 miles per day far less stressful.

You might also first see if you can live in your driveway for a weekend without going in the house.
The list of 'stuff you need' is longer than you think!
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brendan, my best advice for a newbie is to ask lots of questions! I clearly remember that feeling of ignorance and confusion.

And I wish we had started trailering when our kids were young, but we did not discover it until they were grown and gone. On the other hand, this "empty nest on wheels" sure is a lot of fun . . . .
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Try not to pull with a full tank of water in the RV. Use your transmission or tow haul mode when going down steep hills. Enjoy the trip and be sure to use rest stops to stretch your legs.

And remember, Humans are the only animals that allow their young back in the nest without eating them. That's for 15 years from now.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
What 2gypsies said. Massacre Rocks SP has sites with electric & water hookups, and has a dump station. The state park has only some sites able to fit a 26-foot trailer, so if you'll be thru that area on a weekend, you may need to reserve a site in advance. The website has campsite pictures and gives the measurements (length & width) of each site - very helpful!

If you want FHUs a nice place to stop is Village of Trees RV Park in Declo, along I-84, not too far east of Twin Falls, near Burley. Pocatello has 2 FHU CGs, a KOA (under new ownership, basic but pleasant enough, with a nice mountain view) and Cowboy RV Park, next to the city cemetery.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You should have no driving issues with your rig on that route. From Nevada take 93 north into Idaho. If you need a stopping place around Pocatello, Massacre Rocks State Park is a nice place to stop and learn some history. It's a pretty setting along the Snake River.

Then the next morning you can enter the Tetons via Hwy 26/89 or continue north on Hwy 20 to Yellowstone if that's your first stop. Don't take Hwy 31/22 from Victor into Jackson. It's very steep.

Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel