cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

northern ontario: 17 or 11?

westlovetruckin
Explorer
Explorer
travelling from southern ontario to vancouver island.

im on the fence about which route i should take to thunder bay.

17 is MUCH more scenic, 75km shorter, but hilly and windy (as in curves, not moving air).

11 is 75 km longer, but flat and straight. it is also mind numbingly boring.

75km doesnt mean much when were talking about 1000km routes.

another factor is help. im driving a 2005 E350 with a 6.0L diesel, and pulling a 2009 31' camping trailer. the trailer weights 5700lb empty, but is loaded with all my worldly posessions. i have a spare tire for the van, but not for the trailer.

i would take 11 because its such an easier drive for a large rig, but im concerned about being far from help should a need arise (as its several hundred km between tiny towns).

any advice or thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
Won't need to grease wheels from Bellville to Van Island.
I.d go via USA if you are not in a rush I can give you some things to see.
If you go via Canada use 11 - not 17 - IMHO.
Want more info send me a post.

bbt
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
westlovetrucking wrote:

i will be doing a "thumb test" on every wheel every stop. fluid check every morning. i hope to find access to grease nipples on the trailer wheels and grease them every morning.

I would be very careful about greasing the trailer axles every day. I don't think that is at all necessary. In fact you are in danger of putting too much grease in and having it come out the back into the bearings.

Have your trailer wheels taken off, the brakes inspected and the bearings inspected and properly packed by hand. Then you are good for the trip.

We travel about 16 000 miles between bearing repacks. Each inspection and repack has shown the brakes and bearings to be fine.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
westlovetrucking wrote:
travelling from southern ontario to vancouver island.

11 is 75 km longer, but flat and straight. it is also mind numbingly boring.

any advice or thoughts?

IMHO you're going to have more than enough 'mind numbingly boring' hours crossing the prairies.

Take 17..........

RICK-ards_Red
Explorer
Explorer
Take 17, the most beautiful drive ever. Yes there are many hills but lots of passing lanes. Take your time and enjoy. The towns between Wawa and Thunder Bay are an hour apart but gas up before you leave the Soo, no gas until Wawa.

Get a spare for the trailer, traveling the distance you are it is peace of mind, which is priceless.
2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

westlovetruckin
Explorer
Explorer
good maps reports a 6km difference between the routes, when i punch in belleville to thunder bay, so thats not a factor.

its just the hills/curves vs proximity to help

westlovetruckin
Explorer
Explorer
its been a while since ive driven it. it remember some very hilly and curvy spots, but i cant remember how much. is it just a couple hundred km section? or is it like 800km of hills n turns?

i will be doing a "thumb test" on every wheel every stop. fluid check every morning. i hope to find access to grease nipples on the trailer wheels and grease them every morning.

i will be transporting firearms, and i dont have a passport, so crossing the border is not an option.

63-Coupe
Explorer
Explorer
My preference is for Hwy. 17 because we enjoy the scenery.

For that kind of trip get thee a spare tire for the trailer, even a used one off KIJIJI will be better than nothing. Be scrupulous about checking the air in the trailer tires and you probably won't need it but if you do make sure your van jack will lift the trailer and that you have a wheel wrench that will fit.

I don't really think there is a lot of difference when it comes to distance between towns on either route. For example, S.S. Marie to Wawa is about the same distance as Hearst to Longlac. My only other comment is that it may be just me but I seem to think that the traffic is a little heavier between Sudbury and S.S. Marie than on any part of the northern route.

Have you considered one of the U.S. routes for most or part of the trip?