cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ohio to Florida on I 75. Steep grades?

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
We will be going to Florida via I75. I'm wondering if there are any steep downhill grades,that I may encounter along the trip. Especially in the mountains. Any advise?
2012 F250 Lariat 6.5ft. bed, 6.2L, 3:73 Gears
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6
27 REPLIES 27

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steep grades pretty much doable if you go slow. Speaking of SLOW, you will encounter a lot of that as you approach Atlanta in morning traffic. ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Jaycocamprs,
I should have said NEAR Lookout Mountain. Thanks for the correction.
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
Born in Ohio & live in Miami, Fl. Done the trip many times before I realized a much better route. We always go from Ohio down Rt 35 to W. Virginia, W.Vir.Turnpike, I-77, I-26 to I95 all way to/thru Florida.
Much prettier scenery, much less traffic, Miss Dayton, Cinci, ATlanta & all those trucks going 80 mph. Try it, you'll never go back to I75.:B

How are the downhill grades. I remember going that way years ago in a car. I seem to remember being in some high elavations.
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Born in Ohio & live in Miami, Fl. Done the trip many times before I realized a much better route. We always go from Ohio down Rt 35 to W. Virginia, W.Vir.Turnpike, I-77, I-26 to I95 all way to/thru Florida.
Much prettier scenery, much less traffic, Miss Dayton, Cinci, ATlanta & all those trucks going 80 mph. Try it, you'll never go back to I75.:B
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Buckeye Chuck wrote:
Last fall I encountered Lookout Mountain on my way from Nashville to Atlanta. If I remember it was a 6% downhill grade for 4 miles. I downshifted to 2nd gear to enable me to stay at 55mph with little or no breaking.My 6.2 gasser was reving at 5,000 Rpm. The red line is 6,000 rpm. I'm hoping not to encounter that steep a grade on I 75.

Nothing like Monteagle. Not quite as steep, and in steps. Also much straighter
If yall are going over Lookout Mountain you are not on the Interstate
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
Relax and ride. Not too bad. Make it to Cartersville KOA and call it a night.

I always used the KOA at Cartersville GA or Corbin KY for overnights in both directions. Both are nice and close enough to the intersate for convenience and far enough for quiet at night for sleep.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again. I feel better about I 75.
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

Buckeye_Chuck
Explorer
Explorer
Last fall I encountered Lookout Mountain on my way from Nashville to Atlanta. If I remember it was a 6% downhill grade for 4 miles. I downshifted to 2nd gear to enable me to stay at 55mph with little or no breaking.My 6.2 gasser was reving at 5,000 Rpm. The red line is 6,000 rpm. I'm hoping not to encounter that steep a grade on I 75.
2013 Sabre 33CKTS-6

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I got off I-75 at Cleveland and took the Dalton Bypass, going nowhere near Chattanooga, and the got back on I-75 near Dalton. No great excitement, mostly a nice country drive.

Rockhillmanor is describing I-24 at Monteagle west of Chattanooga, which can elevate your pucker factor.
-jbh-

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
grant135b wrote:
The two most significant grades I can remember on I-75 is the one climbing up out of the Ohio River valley when you first cross into KY, and it's more sustained than steep (up going south, down coming back north). The other is Jellico just inside the TN border followed by some ups and downs between there and Knoxville, but those aren't bad compared to others I've seen esp out west. From Atlanta south is flat.

"The cut in the Hill" as it's known around these parts.

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Lookout Mountain
The summit, called "High Point", is located just east of Thompsonville in Walker County, Georgia, with an elevation of 2,392 feet above sea level. :C

I took I-65 to I-75 puts you right smack in the middle of it. I think the elevation at that point is less than at the summit but a 7-1/2% grade is nothing to just write off about when driving a MH towing. IMHO, JMHO!

Looks like you cam across 24 from 65 to 75 which would have put you on the steep grade. The OP is coming down 75 and will not be on 24 and will not see the grade which you are referring. The steepest grade 75 has at Jellico is 5% one direction for 5 miles and 4% the other direction.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Lookout Mountain
The summit, called "High Point", is located just east of Thompsonville in Walker County, Georgia, with an elevation of 2,392 feet above sea level. :C

I took I-65 to I-75 puts you right smack in the middle of it. I think the elevation at that point is less than at the summit but a 7-1/2% grade is nothing to just write off about when driving a MH towing. IMHO, JMHO!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

grant135b
Explorer
Explorer
The two most significant grades I can remember on I-75 is the one climbing up out of the Ohio River valley when you first cross into KY, and it's more sustained than steep (up going south, down coming back north). The other is Jellico just inside the TN border followed by some ups and downs between there and Knoxville, but those aren't bad compared to others I've seen esp out west. From Atlanta south is flat.
Fleetwood Pace Arrow, USAF/SAC Vet (KC-135A, B-52D)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yup it seems like people that live around there AND California people all don't have a problem with that grade!

OP: Google Lookout Mountain for elevation.

I'm from Illinois or what others would call a 'Flat Lander'. :W

Going over a speed bump is the closet thing we have to a road with a steep grade!!:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.