cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

One month in Mexico

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Soon after retirement I want my first trip to be to Mexico. I have a new 31' TT and would like to stay at a RV park for about a month. We live in northern CA so the drive wouldn't be too bad.
We've never been there so I need to do a lot of planning ahead of time. I would like to be on the coast if possible. I don't golf or enjoy the night life....rest and relaxation are more important to me. I also enjoy sight seeing, exploring, and a little fishing.
Budget is limited so luxury resorts are out. Does anyone have any suggestions or input that would be helpful in planning such a trip? Goggle searches seem confusing and sometimes don't tell the real story.
Thanks in advance.....
30 REPLIES 30

Usk_Coastie
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to swim in the ocean in Febuary and March You'll have to come as far south as Perula. Ocean temp in March averages 79 - 80 degrees. Air temp normally mid 80's. Space is usually available except or Christmas and Easter breaks when it seems most of Guadalajara shows up at the beach. Otherwise 10 KM of empty sandy beach with no high rises and a fishing village of 1500. No gas, no ATM, no Bank, and a platoon of Mexican Marines at the road junction. If you're up watching the sun rise you can see them running the beach in full gear for morning calastetics.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
The OP still didn't tell when they plan to go. In winter you look for warmer places, in summer - the opposite. Places that are nicer in summer, typically suck in winter, and vice versa.

Anything 200 miles from the border and farther South should be warm enough (in winter) as long as ocean swimming is not your hobby.

Pacific coast of Baja Norte gets cold in winter. East coast of the peninsula is a little warmer, with the closest warm place (in winter) being Concepcion Bay, this would be in Baja Sur. Though I didn't see any camps with electricity in the Bay, it's all generators. No "sightseeing" to speak of, only nature sights. Unlike in old towns of mainland, none or very few architectural sights - you know, that colonial pseudo-European style with plazas and Catholic temples. Bugs in Baja in winter are unheard of, on either coast. In summer you'll get bugs most anywhere, except for desert strips around the North end of the Mar, but you don't want to be there in summer.

I don't think there is much need in GPS in Baja - there is practically only one highway. First-time RV-ers still use GPS, mostly to know where to turn off to the camp that they planned. GPS app in a smartphone will do in this case.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Kidoo wrote:
Big Thank you for all this info.

briansue wrote:
We travel all over Mexico (see map below in signature). We have been to so many interesting places we can't remember them all. We are not much for beaches though we have spent a little time on beaches.

We find we have to go south of the Tropic of Cancer for it to be warm enough for us - that would be south of Mazatlan on the west coast. South of San Luis Potosi inland. Yucatan to the east on the Caribbean. Central Mexico is mountainous and over a mile high so can be cooler than the coast but still warm - though it can cool off at night. We prefer the higher elevations - no bugs - no need for air conditioner - electricity in Mexico can limit the use of air conditioners.

We did the Baja once but did not get to the tip - road is so narrow it can be very stressful - lanes are 9 feet wide and we are 8'6" before mirrors and such - no shoulder to the ditch - as above I measured - semi trucks coming the other way are also wide with mirrors. There are newer better roads on the mainland.

We enjoy central Mexico and visit the "Colonial Cities". We enjoy exploring the ancient ruins of the Aztecs and Mayans and other ancient civilizations.

Some may disagree but we still find Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping by Mike & Terri Church to be a very useful book for finding RV parks etc. in Mexico . . . http://www.rollinghomes.com/mexico%20book.htm . . . and thought the book is quite out of date they have a section on their website where you can find updates to the book to keep up to date.

. . . ontheroadin.com/mexico_road_logs__driving_guide.htm . . . is another great place for info on RVing in Mexico. We still use their logs on every trip - well worth the cost. Many tips and lots of info on this website as well. Click around the top banner on this website to learn much more.. . . . http://www.ontheroadin.com/ . . . .

. . . . . http://www.sct.gob.mx/informacion-general/planeacion/cartografia/mapa-por-estado/ . . . here you will find the best maps of Mexico - download .pdf for free and use in your computer to plan trip.

Get a good GPS that comes with Mexico maps such as the Garmin nuvi 2757LM 7" GPS Navigation System w/ Lifetime Map Updates - with a 7" screen and maps of all of North America - looking on their website these are no longer a current model but can be found on Amazon refurbished.

This website . . . http://app.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si . . . can be used as a route planner (not very good) and also to learn about tolls and to see how much to tolls might be and if your route has tolls. You must figure out total cost if you tow and have more than one unit (vehicle - trailer - etc.) - there is a learning curve to using this website and calculator but it can be useful to learn.

Study the "Stickies" at the top of the main page of this forum to learn about paperwork and insurance.

Ask lots of questions on this forum!!

I bought the new Garmin LTMHD. It is their most expensive model at about $350 US, but it sure is nice. Built in dash cam and you can take photos of intersections with coordinates superimposed. Its voice response system is actually pretty good. Also in the US, it downloads traffic info from radio stations and reroutes you around blockages. That one works real well. It also acts as a bluetooth receiver for your cell.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Wm.Elliot wrote:
Teacapan has got to have some of the nicest beaches in Mexico. As an RVer who enjoyed the Rancho Los Angeles from 1999 until 2005 I was glad to see the Onac open - we stayed there 3 years. Now the campground goes by another name but I hope it can stay open.
RVers really need to check this campground out - it's a gem.

It is one of my favorites which is why I am taking caravans in there to ensure they get enough business to motivate them to keep it open. The picture in the previous post is the one i took in there earlier this spring. Make sure you use apower protctor, one that blocks excessive or too low voltage. A couple of people did damage last year.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
What I like about San Diego Sweetwater park in Bonita municipality is that they are state-run park, cheaper rates. For a quick one-night stop they also have dry-camp area, cheaper yet than hookups. I saw one rig looking like long-term low-key resident there, but general impression was clean and quiet.

Forgot to mention: in may-many places in Mexico you will only find 15A electricity, with receptacles like in your home. Bring pigtail adapter 15A Male to 30A Female.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
If you cross at the San Ysidro port of entry there is a place called La Pacifica RV Park 3 miles North on I-5 before the 905 , DO NOT stay there, a new corporation purchased the park and converted it into a trashy trailer park, really bad place, Police at least once a day, SWAT raids on drug dealers and narco transfer of products, gang members and graffiti, thefts of anything left out, they do not want caravans or overnighters only long term tenants.

Go further North to the Chula Vista J street RV place or the KOA on 2nd street or further North on I-8 in La Mesa or Santee Lakes.

navegator

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
IBcarguy wrote:
We live in northern CA so the drive wouldn't be too bad.

Baja California Norte. Daggetz camp in BOLA comes to mind, $7 per person. Fishing - yes, sightseeing - depends, relaxing - yes. You didn't ask but I don't recall seeing any hook-ups there, this is why probably cheap. I "doubt" they will allow using a generator, the owner's casa is right next to the tourists rigs. I saw some caravans in BCN (not in BOLA town), but with just one day run from the border to any place in BCN (and not enough roads to get lost) you'll be fine on your own.

I would spend the night around Ensenada or immediately before the border - maybe in Sweetwater state park South of San Diego. Making it from North Cali to even as close as San Felipe can be too much for one day.

A lot depends on WHEN you want to go. In summer you definitely want electrical hookups for A/C, anywhere on the coast. Except for (maybe) Asuncion.

Asuncion Bay on the other side of Baja peninsula - more fishing. Camp owned by some mexo-ameri folks (I think). Ask at the Baja Nomads forum, they should give you 101 on these areas. IMO, San Felipe is very different from Asuncion. Bring a lot of patience for fishing sense out of ... er... answers. Cranky they are, yes. But they live there and know the area.

Wm_Elliot
Explorer
Explorer
Teacapan has got to have some of the nicest beaches in Mexico. As an RVer who enjoyed the Rancho Los Angeles from 1999 until 2005 I was glad to see the Onac open - we stayed there 3 years. Now the campground goes by another name but I hope it can stay open.
RVers really need to check this campground out - it's a gem.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Big Thank you for all this info.

briansue wrote:
We travel all over Mexico (see map below in signature). We have been to so many interesting places we can't remember them all. We are not much for beaches though we have spent a little time on beaches.

We find we have to go south of the Tropic of Cancer for it to be warm enough for us - that would be south of Mazatlan on the west coast. South of San Luis Potosi inland. Yucatan to the east on the Caribbean. Central Mexico is mountainous and over a mile high so can be cooler than the coast but still warm - though it can cool off at night. We prefer the higher elevations - no bugs - no need for air conditioner - electricity in Mexico can limit the use of air conditioners.

We did the Baja once but did not get to the tip - road is so narrow it can be very stressful - lanes are 9 feet wide and we are 8'6" before mirrors and such - no shoulder to the ditch - as above I measured - semi trucks coming the other way are also wide with mirrors. There are newer better roads on the mainland.

We enjoy central Mexico and visit the "Colonial Cities". We enjoy exploring the ancient ruins of the Aztecs and Mayans and other ancient civilizations.

Some may disagree but we still find Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping by Mike & Terri Church to be a very useful book for finding RV parks etc. in Mexico . . . http://www.rollinghomes.com/mexico%20book.htm . . . and thought the book is quite out of date they have a section on their website where you can find updates to the book to keep up to date.

. . . ontheroadin.com/mexico_road_logs__driving_guide.htm . . . is another great place for info on RVing in Mexico. We still use their logs on every trip - well worth the cost. Many tips and lots of info on this website as well. Click around the top banner on this website to learn much more.. . . . http://www.ontheroadin.com/ . . . .

. . . . . http://www.sct.gob.mx/informacion-general/planeacion/cartografia/mapa-por-estado/ . . . here you will find the best maps of Mexico - download .pdf for free and use in your computer to plan trip.

Get a good GPS that comes with Mexico maps such as the Garmin nuvi 2757LM 7" GPS Navigation System w/ Lifetime Map Updates - with a 7" screen and maps of all of North America - looking on their website these are no longer a current model but can be found on Amazon refurbished.

This website . . . http://app.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si . . . can be used as a route planner (not very good) and also to learn about tolls and to see how much to tolls might be and if your route has tolls. You must figure out total cost if you tow and have more than one unit (vehicle - trailer - etc.) - there is a learning curve to using this website and calculator but it can be useful to learn.

Study the "Stickies" at the top of the main page of this forum to learn about paperwork and insurance.

Ask lots of questions on this forum!!
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

Talleyho69
It's open, he got back to us with prices 3 weeks ago.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Tequila wrote:
I run caravans down there so I am familiar with most places. Color Marino on the teacapan Penninsula sounds like what you describe 75 miles south of mazatlan.

I Googled this place and apparently it's closed.

No it is not, it re-opened last year, I am in contact with the owner. his name is Miguel Angel Rivera Salgado email: mrivera@colormarino.com he speaks English.

The coordinates for the turn off to it (1 km long dirt road to the right) are N 22.618378 W 105.775321

pa_buckeye
Explorer
Explorer
I spend 6 months in Mazatlan at the Mar Rosa trailer park right on the beach and I don't seem to have a problem with mosquitos or no-see-ums.

rocmoc
Explorer
Explorer
IBcarguy wrote:
Thanks for all the great input. I now want to move around rather than stay in one spot. Also, I never even thought about insect invasions. These things could really ruin a trip for me. I definitely will avoid places with this problem. Looks like I have a lot of planning ahead and thanks again for all the valuable input.

Take a new product from Coleman (old product in Europe), Coleman SkinSmart bug repellent (not sold in Mexico) found in USA Walmarts. Only thing We found effective on the no-see-ums. One can lasted the two of us a week. We also changed our window screens to No-see-um screen material which has smaller holes (does not effect air flow). No-see-um screen can be purchased online or locally at Lowes. Never had a problem until we ran out of SkinSmart. Also Walmart has a No-see-um suit made of the screen material for around $15. They also were very effective for sitting out in the evening.

rocmoc n AZ (no Mexico this year healing from rotator cuff surgery) ๐Ÿ˜ž
rocmoc n Great SouthWest USA

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great input. I now want to move around rather than stay in one spot. Also, I never even thought about insect invasions. These things could really ruin a trip for me. I definitely will avoid places with this problem. Looks like I have a lot of planning ahead and thanks again for all the valuable input.