cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions and Advise on rout to San Diego from Kansas

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on taking HWY 54 west to Tucumcari NM, where we will take I-40 to Albuquerque and hit I-25 south to Las Cruises and hit I-10 west to Casa Grande and hit I-8 into San Diego, ON THE WAY BACK we thought abut taking I-15 N to I-215, to I-10 Palm Springs There I Am not sure if we should stay on I-10 or head north a little on HWY 62, ???? If we stay on I-10 we would go towards Havasu City, and up to I-40. and back to Hwy 54 into Kansas. We are stopping at the Grand Canyon on the way home. Any advice or places to stay, or things to see on the way would be appreciated.
Loves to camp in a 5er ๐Ÿ™‚
10 REPLIES 10

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
Jakessweetthing wrote:
We are traveling the 10th of June going and returning will be around the 22nd with stops along the way. Grand Canyon, ect.. and we want to avoid Phoenix going and coming back home. This was great advice, thank you so much

In June you will hit 100 plus temps in Southern NM and AZ I would stay on I-40 or at least go no further south than US 60 for as long as you can.

On I-40 you will be in relatively cool weather until around Kingman, AZ and on US 60 until you drop down into the Salt River and head to Phoenix.

We are already at 75 here in Las Cruces and by mid June we are at 100+. BUT like they say it is a Dry Heat ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you are driving I-10 or I-8 in June try to drive after midnight and before 11 AM.

on Edit: Bring 2 or more spare tires, they do not need to be on rims, but the cost of tires in the middle of nowhere CA is 2 to 3 times what it is in civilization. The summer asphalt temps will blow out a ST rated tire even when they are almost new. I lost two Maxxis E rated that were only 6 months old crossing the Mojave desert in June. Heat not load causes blowouts.

Thank you, I am definitely going to make some route changes to our plans. I really appreciate the advice.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Jakessweetthing wrote:
We are traveling the 10th of June going and returning will be around the 22nd with stops along the way. Grand Canyon, ect.. and we want to avoid Phoenix going and coming back home. This was great advice, thank you so much

In June you will hit 100 plus temps in Southern NM and AZ I would stay on I-40 or at least go no further south than US 60 for as long as you can.

On I-40 you will be in relatively cool weather until around Kingman, AZ and on US 60 until you drop down into the Salt River and head to Phoenix.

We are already at 75 here in Las Cruces and by mid June we are at 100+. BUT like they say it is a Dry Heat ๐Ÿ˜‰

If you are driving I-10 or I-8 in June try to drive after midnight and before 11 AM.

on Edit: Bring 2 or more spare tires, they do not need to be on rims, but the cost of tires in the middle of nowhere CA is 2 to 3 times what it is in civilization. The summer asphalt temps will blow out a ST rated tire even when they are almost new. I lost two Maxxis E rated that were only 6 months old crossing the Mojave desert in June. Heat not load causes blowouts.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
From Palm Springs taking 62 to AZ95 to I-40 is a very easy drive with a RV and yes, I-8 to Yuma to 95 north is an easy drive. There are some nice state parks from Parker, AZ to Havasu City, AZ.

Thank you !

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
You did not say when you are making this trip. The weather will affect recommendations.

However, just stay on 54 from Santa Rosa, NM down to either US 60, US 380 or US 70 depending on what you want to see along the way.

US 60 will take you all the way to Phoenix (actually all the way to Los Angeles but it becomes I-10 most of the way west of Phoenix). At Phoenix drop down on 202 to I-10 south to I-8 rather than go through town. Along the way see the Very Large Array west of Socorro, eat a Blakes Green Chile Lot-a-Burger, and stop in Pie Town for deserts. Good two lane road with some grade near Globe, AZ.

US 380 will take you past Trinity site (first A bomb) and over to I-25 South of Socorro where you can go south to Hatch or catch US 60 in Socorro. Eat at the Owl Cafe if you like greasy hamburgers. At Hatch, NM exit 41 you can take the NM 26 over to Deming to catch I-10 west and save about an hours drive vs going down to Las Cruces and then west. Eat at Sparky's in Hatch or Blakes in Deming.

US 70 from Alamagordo to Las Cruces puts you past White Sands Nat. Monument, White Sands Missile Range and you will pass Petroglaphs Nat Mt on US 54 just north of Tularosa. When you get to Las Cruces do NOT follow US 70 through town. Go south on I-25 to the I-10 junction (6 miles). US 70 through town is under construction and is a mess.

There are good RV parks for overnight in Santa Rosa, Valley of Fires near Carrizozo (junction of 380/54) and in Almagordo, Las Cruces, Elephant Butte Lake, etc. Lots of options to overnight on I-25, 54 and 70. Not as many on 60 and 380 but there are some in Socorro, Magdalena, Pie Town, Show Low and some I have not noticed I am sure.

Fuel in Santa Rosa, and try to make it to Socorro or Alamagordo before the next fill up. Fuel along I-25 is best at Lemitar north of Socorro for an easy in and out. It is the only real truck stop between Albuquerque and Las Cruces on I-25. There is at mile 215 a diesel station but the prices are high although the burgers are pretty tasty. All the Las Cruces truck stops are on west I-10 as you leave town. If you use the NM 26 shortcut at Hatch to Deming there is a truck stop in Deming right after you get to town and the Pic Quik in Hatch has a truck island-often full.

Referance 95 there is a US and an AZ 95 north of I-10. US 95 is in CA and aside from never ending dips is the faster way to go to I-40. To go to Havasu you will take AZ 95 from Quartzsite.

If you just want to avoid Phoenix traffic just stay on I-10 to AZ 303 (exit 124) and use it to get to I-17. If you are after better scenery and cooler temps go north to I-40 on one of the 95's.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
From Palm Springs taking 62 to AZ95 to I-40 is a very easy drive with a RV and yes, I-8 to Yuma to 95 north is an easy drive. There are some nice state parks from Parker, AZ to Havasu City, AZ.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Carlsbad Caverns, Roswell UFO museum, Painted Desert & Petrified Forest, Monument Valley, Meteor Crater, Caverns of the Grand Canyon...to mention only a few.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say when you are making this trip. The weather will affect recommendations.

However, just stay on 54 from Santa Rosa, NM down to either US 60, US 380 or US 70 depending on what you want to see along the way.

US 60 will take you all the way to Phoenix (actually all the way to Los Angeles but it becomes I-10 most of the way west of Phoenix). At Phoenix drop down on 202 to I-10 south to I-8 rather than go through town. Along the way see the Very Large Array west of Socorro, eat a Blakes Green Chile Lot-a-Burger, and stop in Pie Town for deserts. Good two lane road with some grade near Globe, AZ.

US 380 will take you past Trinity site (first A bomb) and over to I-25 South of Socorro where you can go south to Hatch or catch US 60 in Socorro. Eat at the Owl Cafe if you like greasy hamburgers. At Hatch, NM exit 41 you can take the NM 26 over to Deming to catch I-10 west and save about an hours drive vs going down to Las Cruces and then west. Eat at Sparky's in Hatch or Blakes in Deming.

US 70 from Alamagordo to Las Cruces puts you past White Sands Nat. Monument, White Sands Missile Range and you will pass Petroglaphs Nat Mt on US 54 just north of Tularosa. When you get to Las Cruces do NOT follow US 70 through town. Go south on I-25 to the I-10 junction (6 miles). US 70 through town is under construction and is a mess.

There are good RV parks for overnight in Santa Rosa, Valley of Fires near Carrizozo (junction of 380/54) and in Almagordo, Las Cruces, Elephant Butte Lake, etc. Lots of options to overnight on I-25, 54 and 70. Not as many on 60 and 380 but there are some in Socorro, Magdalena, Pie Town, Show Low and some I have not noticed I am sure.

Fuel in Santa Rosa, and try to make it to Socorro or Alamagordo before the next fill up. Fuel along I-25 is best at Lemitar north of Socorro for an easy in and out. It is the only real truck stop between Albuquerque and Las Cruces on I-25. There is at mile 215 a diesel station but the prices are high although the burgers are pretty tasty. All the Las Cruces truck stops are on west I-10 as you leave town. If you use the NM 26 shortcut at Hatch to Deming there is a truck stop in Deming right after you get to town and the Pic Quik in Hatch has a truck island-often full.

Referance 95 there is a US and an AZ 95 north of I-10. US 95 is in CA and aside from never ending dips is the faster way to go to I-40. To go to Havasu you will take AZ 95 from Quartzsite.

If you just want to avoid Phoenix traffic just stay on I-10 to AZ 303 (exit 124) and use it to get to I-17. If you are after better scenery and cooler temps go north to I-40 on one of the 95's.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œ...Yuma to miss the City Traffic ?โ€

I would never โ€missโ€ something I wanted to see to โ€œmissโ€ city traffic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jakessweetthing
Explorer
Explorer
Jakessweetthing wrote:
We plan on taking HWY 54 west to Tucumcari NM, where we will take I-40 to Albuquerque and hit I-25 south to Las Cruises and hit I-10 west to Casa Grande and hit I-8 into San Diego, ON THE WAY BACK we thought abut taking I-15 N to I-215, to I-10 Palm Springs There I Am not sure if we should stay on I-10 or head north a little on HWY 62, ???? If we stay on I-10 we would go towards Havasu City, and up to I-40. and back to Hwy 54 into Kansas. We are stopping at the Grand Canyon on the way home. Any advice or places to stay, or things to see on the way would be appreciated.

Also would it be better to take I-8 east to Hwy 95 north at Yuma to miss the City Traffic ? Anyone taken Hwy 95 north to Havasu City ?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
When? Advice on route/routes will vary depending on month. Albuquerque...ok...Santa Fe spectacular...On the Atchison, Topeka and the...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad