cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oregon Coast vacation

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought a new Jayco 5th wheel and decided to take a trip to the Oregon coast this spring (maybe in May). We've got 10 days and we're starting from the SF East Bay Area. Can't decide whether to stay at 2-3 places for several days each or travel more and stop for just overnight stays. I'd like to start from the Gold Beach area but getting there from CA isn't an easy drive if I have to go by way of Hwy 1 in northern CA. Maybe I should take I-5 and go west toward Coos Bay and start from there rather than starting from the south.
I've been on the internet trip planning sites and after hours of reading, I'm more confused than ever. There's so much info it's overwhelming. Has anyone done this trip before and have any suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
Just head to 101 North (whichever way you get there, Golden Gate for us). Then stay on 101. Do not go over to 1, that will be curvy and the coast and slow the whole way). We don't hit the coast until almost Eureka. We like to cut off at the Avenue of the Giants and take that drive, then get back on 101 (easy off and easy on and beautiful).

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Wavesprite wrote:
I would recommend staying at all Oregon State parks. they are AWESOME!! 101 is a beautiful drive from San Francisco....you can always do I5, but then you'll need to cut over to the coast, and while it's faster, it's not nearly as beautiful. We spend 3 weeks in Oregon every summer and always just stay at the amazing and abundant state parks.

Where do you start on 101? Marin county and go all the way up the CA coast? Do you get reservations at the state parks or take your chances finding a spot. Do you stay one night and move or stay a couple days? How far north do you usually go?

Wavesprite
Explorer
Explorer
I would recommend staying at all Oregon State parks. they are AWESOME!! 101 is a beautiful drive from San Francisco....you can always do I5, but then you'll need to cut over to the coast, and while it's faster, it's not nearly as beautiful. We spend 3 weeks in Oregon every summer and always just stay at the amazing and abundant state parks.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
I have done them all, just do what you enjoy.
So big a world, so little time to see.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO

3 nights at Oceanside Beachfront RV Resort
90281 Cape Arago Hwy, Coos Bay, OR 97420
2 nights at Sea Perch RV Resort
Siuslaw National Forest, 95480 US-101, Yachats, OR 97498
Balance of the time just across the Oregon Washington border at Pacific Beach State Park
49 2nd St S, Pacific Beach, WA 98571
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Come a bit further north on I5 and cut over to 101 to Reedsport. Just south is one of the nicest parks on the coast. Salmon Harbor at Winchester bay. From here you canmget some dune buggy rides, light house tours. There is also a nice state park, but no real scenery. Salmon Harbor has some really great scenery as your looking right out at the bay/ocean.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
I messed up. What I meant was I-5 up to around Roseburg, then 42 west to Coos Bay and starting the coast trip north from there on 101. From what I can see, the only way to start our trip from Gold Beach area would be coming from northern CA on 101. It would be a scenic coastal drive but as I remember it, kinda narrow and winding 2 lane road, especially in CA. I'm pulling a 37' 5th wheel and it could be a little tight in places.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Confusion already. Hwy 101 is the route to take all the way up to gold Beach. I would stay away from Hwy 1. We prefer to stay in one spot a minimum of 2 days and generally 3 days for these types of trips.