cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pets and Canada

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
This August I will be traveling in and out of Canada two times within a two week time frame.

I have read all about what is required as for Rabies, Health etc. My question is on the pet food. For you folks that have gone into Canada, the info states that the pet food has to be in the original package and NOT OPENED. Is the not open something that they truly inforce?
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly
7 REPLIES 7

dedmiston
Picturing the headlines...

"Missouri Residents Arrested on Suspected Kibble Smuggling Charges"

I'm going to move this thread from RV Parks, Campgrounds, and Attractions to the Canada forum because there is more expertise in that group (I think).

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have been three times into Canada and back with our dog, Daisy in the back seat of our truck happily greeting the border agent through the window. None of them even commented about the dog or asked any questions related to the dog.

Now, let me be clear, we had all the proper documentation but somehow the agents seemed to trust that we had--this applies to both Canadian and US agents.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never once been asked by the CBSA officers about our dog food. Going into the US used to be a real problem for us because dog food had to be unopened and made in the US and not contain lamb or pork. They now allow opened bags of dog food if still in original package which really helps. Do NOT put a small amount in a baggie for a short trip!

The best thing to do is always go to the Canadian & US gov't websites for the current info. on pet foods. The rules are always subject to change. The current info. from the Canadian Food Inspection Agency says:

Travellers may bring into Canada a personal import of pet food (limit of 20 kg), if the import meets all of the following requirements:

The pet food or product must be of United States origin and be commercially packaged.

The pet food or product must be in the possession of the traveller at the time of entry from the U.S.

The animal that will eat the imported product must accompany the traveller at the time of entry.

The imported product is fed only to the animal that accompanied the traveller into Canada.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thank you all
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
As Canadians, we have had a very few problems taking pet food south. We now keep it in the original sealed bag until we cross the border. Check the ingredients -- they have a dread of lamb. We only put out a small bowl of food for the 3 hours to the border.
We don't seem to have problems coming home.
David and Dayle

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
You will not have a problem with pet food going into Canada, but may have a problem coming back into the States. While it is up to the individual officer at the border, if you keep everything in its original container (preferably unopened) and have receipts showing it was purchased in the States, you may avoid having anything confiscated. Buying food in small containers keeps just a small supply opened at any one time.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s 100% up to the individual agent, IF they do anything more than just you a couple questions and look at your ID.

I suspect it’s more to do with the main ingredient and whether it’s the flavour of the week or not.

I take the food in it’s original bag (opened) and have only ever had a problem once, southbound, and when I pointed out the “Made in USA” on the bag they just said they’d let me off with a warning and don’t do it again.