cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Philadelphia to Plymouth, MA - best route?

AcademyRoad
Explorer
Explorer
I'm planning a trip which will involve us driving from just south of Philadelphia to Plymouth, MA and back. The Good Sam Trip Planner has us going through New York on roads that do not allow RVs and/or propane. This obviously will not work. Can anyone advise on the best route to take? Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
We really hate the section of I95 through CT. 2-lanes, lots of trucks, and the occasional Prius from NY in the left lane slowing down the world to save energy.and the occasional Prius from NY in the left lane slowing down the world to save energy. Traffic through the ever-present construction in New Haven is always miserable.

I like going further north up I87 over the Hudson at Newburgh and taking I84 to CT Rt 9 to New London. From Philly, you can skip New Joisey altogether and pick up I84 taking US209 north out of Stroudsburg. In New London you can pick up I95 at 4 lanes (goes to 2 for about 20 miles in Rhode Island). Take I95 to I195 to I495 NORTH 1 exit, Mass Rt 58. GPS it in from there.

and the occasional Prius from NY in the left lane slowing down the world to save energy.
You SOOOOO know Prius drivers!!!!!!! They are freakin' everywhere, doing exactly the same thing!!!!!!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
We really hate the section of I95 through CT. 2-lanes, lots of trucks, and the occasional Prius from NY in the left lane slowing down the world to save energy. Traffic through the ever-present construction in New Haven is always miserable.

I like going further north up I87 over the Hudson at Newburgh and taking I84 to CT Rt 9 to New London. From Philly, you can skip New Joisey altogether and pick up I84 taking US209 north out of Stroudsburg. In New London you can pick up I95 at 4 lanes (goes to 2 for about 20 miles in Rhode Island). Take I95 to I195 to I495 NORTH 1 exit, Mass Rt 58. GPS it in from there.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
It has been 8 years, but when Mom & Dad lived on Cape Cod we drove up several times/year. Plymouth is a bit north of the Cape.

From Philly, I would suggest getting over to the NJ Turnpike to the Garden State Parkway (RVs are allowed on the Parkway) across the Tappan Zee Bridge to I95 across CT to Providence. At Providence there are three possibilities to get to Plymouth. Since our destination was the Cape, we always took I195 to route 25 and went over the Sagamore Bridge. Instead of going over the bridge, you can take route 3 north to Plymouth. Another possibility is to stay on I95 out of Providence to I93 then head south on route 3. If you are willing to do some 2 lane driving, there is also route 44 east out of Providence.

I95 west of New Haven in CT can be a bear for traffic, but more roundabout routes are a lot longer.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂