cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Phoenix to Seattle in January

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Will tow 36 foot DRV fifth wheel thru Phoenix to Seattle via California this January. Any suggestions for routes would be greatly appreciated as well as considerations for passes we'll encounter.

The DRV is built for winter with good insulation, heated tanks and a generator. I'm aware unexpected delays can occur for days at any time in the mountains.

I have experience hauling a heavy truck camper thru snow but not pulling a heavy trailer.

Any helpful thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.
22 REPLIES 22

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You are required to have chains for rear braking axle on trailer. In Oregon and Washington, you are required to install chains when traction tires are required on cars. You must have chains for tow vehicle.
Is there a reason you want to go through California?
You might think about US 93 or other routes through the high desert country. It could be colder but less snow and ice.
From about Redding, CA north to Grants pass, OR could be a night mare during a storm common in Jan.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about laying up when it gets too bad. I'll keep a sharp eye out for local and 10 day forecast.

I am curious if it would be worth investing in a set or two of chains for the 5th wheel for emergency use if for no other reason than to get to a safer place to ride out a storm. If so, would chaining one axle be of any real value? It makes a big diff with my 4x4 truck to chain one axle
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
troutrod wrote:
Also, should I have a set or two of tire chains for the trailer for emergency use?

I would, just for insurance. lay up when it gets too bad.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb,

Didn't see your message while I was typing. Should I have chains for both trailer axles or would one set suffice? I am at 15,000 lbs and have disc brakes.

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Also, should I have a set or two of tire chains for the trailer for emergency use?

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
troutrod wrote:
Will tow 36 foot DRV fifth wheel thru Phoenix to Seattle via California this January. Any suggestions for routes would be greatly appreciated as well as considerations for passes we'll encounter.

The DRV is built for winter with good insulation, heated tanks and a generator. I'm aware unexpected delays can occur for days at any time in the mountains.

I have experience hauling a heavy truck camper thru snow but not pulling a heavy trailer.

Any helpful thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I-5 is an interstate truck route it's never closed over a 24 hour period at any time of the year.

Siskiyou pass might require chains but it is the highest point of the trip. several lessor passes like Grant's pass may require them too.

As for your trailer, if possible power it up on electric and use a electric heater to keep it above freezing if you need it. you probable won't.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Romore.

Any suggestions about towing in freezing weather? We have a polar type package but how do you keep the pipes from freezing while your towing? My slides cover the floor vents for the furnace so I can't run that while I'm towing. Wouldn't think it would be a good idea to run the propane while towing either.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
We took I-10 to 210 to 5 then north, it is a heavy pull up the Grapevine. An alternative would be 138 but I don't know that road.
This is likely the best route to avoid severe winter driving conditions. The only other spot of concern would be Siskayou Pass at the CA/OR border, it can get heavy snow so watch the road reports and be prepared to wait it out. Fog and rain the rest of the way to Seattle (blech)