cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Mugu to San Pedro

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Staying at Point Mugu near Oxnard Ca for two weeks and would like to go to San Pedro for the day. What would be the best time and route? Thanks Ed
10 REPLIES 10

dedmiston
I agree with the general strategy of PCH there and 405/101 back.

If it were me and I didn't have a hard schedule, I would play around with the departure times on Google Maps to see what times of day are statistically the shortest.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Someone mentioned that it is 60 miles from one point to the other. It sounds like nothing. At the wrong time of day, though, that trip can take three hours! So that is why the OP is asking.

If you have ever seen the "Californians" skits on Saturday Night Live (available on YouTube), the skits are dead accurate -- in southern Calif, we are very serious about strategies to avoid sitting in traffic.

And now, back on topic. The biggest problem the OP will face is Pacific Coast Highway. It can slow down a lot without warning at any time, if there is a fender bender anywhere along the way. No way to avoid the PCH, unless you take Kanan Dume over the hill back to the 101. Which probably will not save any time.

Good luck!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
For a day trip, go down the coast, leave at 6am. Stay till 8pm, take the 405 to the 101 home. If you go on a weekend you can leave at 7. I made that commute for 6 years and these days it’s a crapshoot 24/7...
The older we get, the faster we go

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Better than earlier in the morning and 6-7 p.m. Look, driving anywhere in L.A., my hometown, is...slow. Go, you’ll enjoy that part of our city. Just don’t expect to miss the traffic.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
What if I departed Mugu at 10AM and stayed at San Pedro until about 8PM. What would traffic be like at that time?

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
yes

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are not “multiple” Mugus in California.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
This the same Point Mugu that is 60 miles from San Pedro?
Kevin

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Iowa is worth seeing if you haven’t visited a BB. Please pay your respects at turret number two if you go.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the least traffic going and coming...Best day would be Sunday or 2nd best Saturday. You need to head back to Pt Mugu before 1PM on Sunday to beat traffic. Saturday head back by 2PM

During the week Tues, Wed or Thurs. leave before 6AM or after 10AM return from San Pedro by 2PM at the latest.

HWY 101 to I-405 to HWY 110 which ends at Gaffey street. Gaffey will get you into the heart of San Pedro. If you want to go to the harbor use Vincent Thomas Bridge/ Harbor Blvd. offramp and take Harbor Blvd to head to the harbor (Battleship Iowa signs)