cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Protecting The Truck

Montara24d
Explorer
Explorer
Making our first trip to Alaska this spring towing a 5th wheel, & have found this forum very helpful. My question is has anyone made any type of protective gravel guard for the front of the pick up?
John
John & Stephanie
Aquebogue, N.Y.
2016 Ford 4X4, Lariat
6.7, SRW, long bed
34' 5th wheel
18 REPLIES 18

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Also slow down on either gravel or narrow roads (NOT just in AK!) when meeting another vehicle. maintaining distance behind vehicles in front is important - tougher when passing. At least by slowing down rocks. etc coming at you will have less impact. Except for a couple VERY minor pings in the hood and a tiny windshield chip (which occurred in the lower 48 on our way to AK!), no other damage in 15k miles on our AK adventure! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Nodaker
Explorer
Explorer
Drove to Alaska summer of '16. Didn't do anything to the front of the truck. Put plastic film (imitation 3m) on lower front of 5th wheel which seemed to protect it well.

There really isn't much more exposure to road damage on the Alaska Hwy than anyplace else. The best approach is to use a little extra caution and slow down in construction zones.
Nodaker
2017 Newmar Bay Star 3113
2011 Chev Colorado dinghy

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Opinions are ....well, we all know what opinions are like. So, FWIW, my opinion

- In 20+ years of driving the Alcan (admittedly not too recently) I saw some of the most outlandish contraptions one can imagine...some of debatable usefulness

- "...back in the day", the big worries were radiators, fuel tanks, and headlights. Other than the possible exception of headlights, those aren't as worrisome now...and I think headlights are much less susceptible to damage.

- Most protectors cause enough damage to finishes (paint, plastic, etc) so that any benefit of avoiding impact/penetration damage is outweighed.

Opinion only YMMV
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

trailerbikecamp
Explorer
Explorer
What I ahve found works best on gravel roads for protecting the front of your TV is distance. Keep a distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you. Keeping the distance allows the dirt and gravel to settle down before it hits your truck.

As for the front of your fuver, use a good quality mud flaps loke "Rock Tamers". Make sure there is a couple inches between the bottom of the flaps and the road surface.
Dan