cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Red canyon Utah

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone driven a class A through the tunnels on Utah 12 eastbound from 89. I m planning a trip to Bryce Canyon from Page which takes me through those two tunnels. I could go around, but that adds an hour to the trip.
11 REPLIES 11

MNawman
Explorer
Explorer
Great info. Thanks everyone!

Mark

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Go to Google Maps and click on the Red Canyon Arch marker. The box on the left has 8 photos submitted, including one of a Class A driving under the arch.

Click for Google Maps of the Red Canyon Arch.

Charles

Perfect example of a big rig going through the arch!! If you click on that picture with the motorhome going through it will enlarge also.

Zoom out and a little way to the west you can find the above-mentioned Red Canyon national forest campground. We've stayed there a few times and it's very nice with good nearby hiking trails.

You can also see the awesome paved bike trail along the highway. It goes all the way to Bryce Nat'l Park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Google Maps and click on the Red Canyon Arch marker. The box on the left has 8 photos submitted, including one of a Class A driving under the arch.

Click for Google Maps of the Red Canyon Arch.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Last time we were at Red Canyon CG it was water only but had modern, Pay hot showers.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Never really payed attention to the tunnels but the USFS CG at Red Canyon is much nicer then the ones at Bryce.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnel is fine for my old 35' Class A at 12'6". Just past the tunnel is a wonderful little Forest CG called Red Canyon. Its like camping at the bottom of Bryce.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnels aren't much longer than you are, enjoy the trip.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, I'd try to stay nearer the center line of the roadway. I've seen some damage on the insides higher up the walls.

And watch out for crazies trying to take selfies in them. I almost ran over some kid lying along the center line of the roadway inside the tunnel, while his girlfriend took pictures of him.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The big tour buses go through the tunnels.

Here's a great article on the whole drive:

https://scenicbyway12.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/route_guide.pdf
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
There is a sign that says 13'-6", do the street view on google maps you can see it.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The tunnels are just fine for a big rig. Semis drive through them. We did with our 40' motorhome. It's a beautiful drive - don't bypass it. Plan to stop midway at Escalante to disconnect the towed vehicle and explore along the highway.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again