cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reno to Yreka

SH
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a preferred route from Reno to Yreka? MapQuest comes up with three with very different time factors! 395 to Susanville then off on some other route that looks like it may not be RV friendly is the shortest. The Sacramento route looks like the easiest but 2hrs longer.
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
Yep. 395, 36, 44, 89 & I-5. We take it all the time. Perfect.

Used this route many times when I lived down there. It is a great route!
cpaulsen

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I am having a hard time putting my beliefs into words but I'll try. First off my father and my DW like seeing someplace new and my Mom hated going on side trips. I don't worry about much when it come to planning routes, grades in the road lead to summits and beautiful vistas, switchbacks going up or down a mountain just means it takes a little longer(with the exception of severe roads not meant for anything but mules and 4X4's) and lets me see a little more of the area. With one or two exceptions the roads of today are pretty well signed for low overheads and the like. Shear drop off scared the bejesus out of my mother and my DGD, I don't fear them, I love HWY 1 in CA., the part near Kirk Creek is fun and beautiful.

The road into the canyons of Canyonlands NP from Island in the Sky is amazing, would I take my RV down there, no! But I figured out that one of the favorite 4X4 spots in the country isn't for RVs, even little ones like the Bounder, we took the Suzi and it was really cool.

There are not many but there are roads that were meant for foot traffic, I got on one of them when the BRP was closed due to snow. I guess we were young and stupid way back in 2011 and while we really didn't know how to get out of there, but we had a fun four hour out of the way side trip and maybe the brakes got a little warm, but, now that were older, I'm 75, as I look back, we were never in danger.

I am not deriding anyone who has fears, concerns or doesn't want to exceed there personal capabilities, I am saying I think that there is a lot of overthinking about routes and eliminating anything but a smooth level straight road when planning on getting from point A to point B.

One of us here has a tag line that says "Options you've got to have options". Mine is and always will be, unhitch, turn around, hitch up and go back a ways and find another route when the rig won't go any further or if I don't feel safe.

Remember the Corps of Discovery, no one knew the best route from the Eastern Frontier to the Pacific. Now we have so many choices, no one can definitively say which one is best.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
rdmike wrote:
korbe wrote:

Will be doing that route in reverse order in late April/May. Is that 2 lanes both way? I was planning on doing I 80 but this might work better. I am not a fan of single lanes.

Well if you're not a fan of two lanes roads, you may want to stay on I-5. I love these two-lane mountain type roads. The scenery is kinda naturalistic. 🙂

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:

Will be doing that route in reverse order in late April/May. Is that 2 lanes both way? I was planning on doing I 80 but this might work better. I am not a fan of single lanes.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

Ed_C
Explorer
Explorer
We have used I/5 to 89 to 44 to 36 to 395 on our way home from Oregon a few times. It's a very nice ride. We'll use itagain.
Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
36 to Red Bluff has a couple of short low passes and a short stretch of very curvy road. No problem for any rig. 44 has no pass of any note. A steep downgrade into the community of Old Station. 89 Old Station to McCloud has no grades to worry about.

89 through Lassen Park not recommended for your rig. Doable, but you won't like it nor will the other drivers sharing the road.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

korbe
Explorer
Explorer

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
You don't say when you want to go. If there is no possibility of snow my preferred route is Reno to Susanville (395) to Burney (36/44) then 89 to I5. A very scenic route with no problems unless you want to fly low. Odds are pretty good you will find a CHP between Reno and Susanville. We take this route at least once or twice a year. Actually your chances of snow are probably just as high or higher going over 80 to Sacramento (Think Donner Party).

X2

This is the route we take when going to the Oregon coast.

Good roads, traffic not bad, places for an overnight or longer, good views and actually an easier climb over the Sierra's than going I-80.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

SH
Explorer
Explorer
bdpreece wrote:
You don't say when you want to go. If there is no possibility of snow my preferred route is Reno to Susanville (395) to Burney (36/44) then 89 to I5. A very scenic route with no problems unless you want to fly low. Odds are pretty good you will find a CHP between Reno and Susanville. We take this route at least once or twice a year. Actually your chances of snow are probably just as high or higher going over 80 to Sacramento (Think Donner Party).

Planning on a July trip. The Susanville is my preferred option...not being familiar with the area just didn't know if this was a steep mountain pass, switchbacks, narrow road etc.

Thanks for the information!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo 🙂

bdpreece
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I google possible routes and then check them in my Motor Carriers (trucker) road atlas; if 18 wheeler's can go that way then so can I.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE