cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Road Guide?

susseandchris
Explorer
Explorer
We recently returned from Texas, where we spent the winter. On our way home, we encountered terrible road conditions on the I-40, near Memphis in Arkansas and Tennessee. So bad, in fact, that we believe we bent an axle banging over the huge potholes, caused by their unusual late-winter weather. I am hoping to find a way to avoid the worst interstates in the future. There is such a wide contrast-- I-79 in western Pennsylvania, for example, is generally smooth and trouble-free, while I-76 from Akron, Ohio to Pennsylvania is riddled with holes and hugely mis-aligned bridge/road joints.
Does anyone know of a forum or website where the best and worst highways are listed? We would willingly go many miles out of our way to avoid bad roads... especially now that I expect to have to replace an axle and a tire as a result of our highway misadventures. Any comments?
Susan and Chris and Pablo, the Havanese dog
Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
St Catharines, ON Canada
3 REPLIES 3

susseandchris
Explorer
Explorer
In reply, when an axle is tubular, straightening won't work without kinking the metal (I just learned this yesterday!)so the only option is replacement. Confirmed by axle manufacturer as well.
Susan and Chris and Pablo, the Havanese dog
Mobile Suites 36RSSB3
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
St Catharines, ON Canada

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Find a shop that services over-the-road trailers. One with laser alignment equipment is best.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace the axle? Why not just find a trailer shop that can do an alignment?
As for avoiding road damage? Good luck. Road condition can change daily, there is just no way your going to avoid it. Except maybe get off the interstate.