cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roads from Tonapah, NV to Yosemite National Park

exfed224
Explorer
Explorer
Is the road from Tonopah, NV to Yosemite National Park a realistic route for a 35' Class A gas powered motorhome? We're new RVers and need all the help we can get! Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
That website lets you see that Tioga Pass is open. I use the site to check on SR120, SR108 and a few more we travel across a lot. When we lived in Lemoore/Hanford we would go through Visalia on our way to Sequoia NP a lot, we always liked Visalia.
Bill
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

โ€œGoing to the mountains is going home.โ€ John Muir

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
From Tonopah I'd take 95 to 6 to 120. Have a nice trip.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Traildust wrote:
Check this out for Tioga Pass SR120.

If the OP is going to the valley he'll never see this problem from the location given. check google maps.

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
Check this out for Tioga Pass SR120.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L, B&W Hitch, Twin Honda EU2000i Generators, Tri Metric Battery Monitor, Reese 5th. Airborne.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Hwy 120 through Tioga Pass is open. We used it on July 5th to get from the 395 to the Yosemite Valley.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
We took 395 to 58 to 99 to 140 to Yosemite.

Sonora108
Explorer
Explorer
We have been over Tioga Pass many times, we live just 65 miles east of Reno and prefer the Tioga Pass route into Yosemite over taking I-80. The only problem you might have with the motorhome is the engine/tranny may get a little warm, just pull over and let it cool down if that happens. There are plenty of places to pull over on your way up to the Park entrance. There is a Quick Stop type Mobile Gas Station on the left just as you turn off US395 onto SR120 going up the mountain named the Whoa Nellie Deli that has really great Fish Tacos and other foods you would not expect in a place like that. They have a full menu and it's worth the stop, plenty of parking for the motorhome also.
Bill

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
New RV'ers in a 35' motorhome.....roger that
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Lee Vineing to Reno is 140 miles and I80 is twice as long a climb to the top than Tioga pass and just as steep. Tioga is about a 25 minute climb to the park entrance, then all down hill to the valley. You'll have no problems from Toneapah to Yosemite.

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
Tioga pass over the crest of the Sierras is just shy of 10000' elevation.
Twists and turns......a long upgrade into Yosemite.

All the other passes across the Sierra crest are equally as daunting but Tioga takes the prize in difficulty.

Or if you're a bit timid about that pass, go to Reno NV and take Hwy 80 west over Donner pass.....it's a full on Interstate Hwy.

Good luck.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package