cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roll Call Alaska 2015

trcgolf
Explorer
Explorer
I know its early but we have been planning for the past 3 months. I know its another 15 months at least till we leave but we are just going crazy...
So here is our very rough plan overview. Leave mid June from western NY; travel west up through Ill., Wis., Min., ND, into Canada.
Diagonally across Saskatch. and Alberta, BC, and YT...
Our first destination is Fairbanks, via Top of the World Highway... thinking of doing the Dempster to the Arctic Circle. I know there will many stops... some short, some long but all will be great.
Fairbanks to Homer with the obligatory Denali stop for a few days.
Homer to Portland Or; Oregon to San Fran; San Fran to home via the Northern US.

We have so much planning yet to do but reading all the Roll Call posts in 2013, and 2014 just keeps us going. Started to plan finances which brings us to the first major question.
I have heard all the diesel advantages and draw backs of the gas engines. We invested in a 32' fifth wheel and 2013 GMC 2500 HD with 6.0L Crew 4x4. The fiver weighs about 8K empty, I would guess 10,500 loaded. ( I will get that checked for sure)Brand new to Rving

The truck is my every dayer.... need the 4 wheel drive here in winter. The decision with gas was pure economics. A Cummins diesel and matching tranny was $9500 more. Doing the math it was going to take a bunch of miles to save enough in mileage to pay for the increase in price. About 100000 mile by my calculation. We not going to be full timers; one long trip a year to Florida.
Traveling around NY and Pa and maybe Florida, that all makes sense but going on a trip like this, I am not so sure gas was the way to go. So I am asking for those who used a truck like mine to haul a fifth wheel through Canada...Alaska...et al... What kind of mileage can I expect? Sorry for the novelette...I will get better at this.

Edited to add 'Alaska' within the title.
2013 GMC 2500 HD
6.0 L Crew 4x4
Crossroads Zinger
715 REPLIES 715

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Then what would stop someone from the Canadian side from driving across. They must be blocking the road going both ways otherwise it would be senseless.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That was my thinking in that I'm not aware of any US/Canada border crossings in either direction that require you stop for the country that you are exiting, only the one you are entering. I should clarify that I was thinking of driving not not flying, ship, etc.

But given what's happening in the world these days I could see that changing.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
So can you can drive into Hyder 24/7 and it's just the exit to Stewart that has restricted hours? Or is it restricted in both directions?

This is not an interstate...it's two lane road, one direction in each. You will be able to drive to Stewart 24/7...then you drive further to Hyder. I am thinking you can cross INTO Hyder...Canada isn't going to block that, surely-to-goodness?...but apparently not back into Canada between the hours of closure.

For those that don't know..there is NO US border personnel. You just drive in.

Edit....I have been in phone contact with the offices in Stewart and they say they have no idea and they have asked me to contact the area boss. I have sent an E mail and have his phone #, too.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
So can you can drive into Hyder 24/7 and it's just the exit to Stewart that has restricted hours? Or is it restricted in both directions?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Stewart/Hyder border will not be 24/7 this summer. Open 8:00am-12:00 midnight - emergency services will be cut off.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150227/southeast-alaska-town-bristles-over-canadian-decision-cut-border-hours

I just saw this in the news and thought I'd pass it on to the travelers.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Joyceyam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we are going in a bit west of you. State of Mt is where we entering Canada. Maybe we can meet up somewhere. Joyce.minarik@gmail.com

papermaker_2
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I are planning to leave Mobile Alabama,on may 21st and crossing into Canada around 29 or 30th at Estevan Canada.

Joyceyam
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Lakeside, nice to hear from you. We have a 31 ft. Thor Ace-beige & tan. Alaska plates are on it. We have driven the Alcan in early Mid May. We find more places are open in later May. Last time we went in mid May, we hit a snow storm near Alaska border.
Hop we see you on the way. Feel free to contact us at joyce.minarik@gmail.com

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Also plan to cross border at Sweetgrass, MT sometime in middle of May, depending on weather. Blue F-350 towing brown/white Bighorn, both bearing Maine plates. Coffee pot is on and you all are welcome.

Safe travels.

Lakeside

Joyceyam
Explorer
Explorer
Dear David & Debra, we have always travelled the Alcan alone & had a ball. We will leave out of Ft Collins, Co after visiting family. We will travel up thru Wy. to Mt & go into Canada there. If you would like to make a meeting place near that border crossing just give us a date & time & we will be there. We have no firm set schedule. Direct email is joyce.minarik@gmail.com if you are interested. Keep in touch

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
Joyceyam, Yep, us too. We are planning to leave central Indiana around mid-May, so if we can meet up with some folks, an evening campsite chat might be nice. Always good to know others are nearby, although we would still go, if we were the only ones on the road! (my wife thinks I have spent enough on "emergency supplies" to go it alone!)

Probably a first and last for us, but a native or resident would surely add to the pleasure of the trip. David & Debra
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Joyceyam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, nice to hear from you. We have driven the Alcan 6 times back & forth. We think a small group would be fun. We are easy going so having an end of day get together on how the day went would be great. Or if someone wanted to travel all day together would be fine.
We travel the Alcan once a year now as our parents are older & we see all our non Alaska family durning the winter. They are spread out from Florida to Washington State.
Still have lots of family in Alaska Tok.
Keep in touch & let us know if anyone's schedule works with ours. Thanks, Joyce.minarik@gmail.com

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Joyceyam, welcome to the forum. Don't worry too much about making mistakes, we all do at times. sounds like you have purchased a new RV outside and plan to drive it back to Alaska. You didn't mention if this would be your first time on the Alaska Hwy or not. Doesn't matter if you have driven it or not, as it is a great trip. There are many hundreds of RV on that trip every summer, some first timers and some more experienced, as it tends to be addictive.

You might list more about what you are thinking in going in a small group, traveling together daily? or camping together at night? etc. I have often thought it would be fun to go in a small group, as my wife has heard all my stories. By the way, most of my true stories are. I lived in rural Alaska for 25+ years and considered retiring on the Kenai as we owned a river front lot about 1 1/4 miles east of soldotna on the East Redoubt Rd for a number of years. But someone wanted it more than we did so we sold it before we moved out of Alaska.

So again welcome, and keep asking your questions.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
Joyceyam wrote:
Hi, I am new at this so if I make a mistake, I apologize up front. Is this thread all people going to Alaska spring/summer of 2015? We are leaving out of MT. the end of May or early June. Company would be nice. We are driving a new RV purchased in lower 48 the driving home to Kenai, Ak. Thanks, Joyce.minarik@gmail.com

yes it is, at least in our case that is the plan.
however, the past two years something has happen and our best laid plans were gone astray.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Joyceyam
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I am new at this so if I make a mistake, I apologize up front. Is this thread all people going to Alaska spring/summer of 2015? We are leaving out of MT. the end of May or early June. Company would be nice. We are driving a new RV purchased in lower 48 the driving home to Kenai, Ak. Thanks, Joyce.minarik@gmail.com