cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route 40 Colorado eastern end out of Empire heading west

The_Harpers
Explorer
Explorer
We would like to find information on route #40 off of inner state #70out of the town of Empire Col. To Kremmling Col. It will be cold and chances are some snow will fall. This is the time slot we have second week of Oct. to the end of Nov. We have a 32.5 Hitch Hiker and pulling it is 3500 Chevy one ton dully. Thanks.
Tom and Sydney - Monterey California
2004 HitchHiker II LS 32.5 UKTG
2003 Chevy Durmax Diesel
Travel companions Goldendoodle Hailey and Labradoodle Bailey
7 REPLIES 7

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted by others, CO 9 would be a better choice, even with the construction...assuming you are coming from Carmel CA. Continuing on EB from I-70/CO 9 in Silverthorne, you'll have to go up and over the Eisenhower/Johnson Tunnels before you even get to US 40 at Empire for Berthoud Pass. And that's really out of the way.

If, however, you're travelling WB from Denver, it's really an either/or for what you're comfortable with. Climb Berthoud Pass on US 40 and be done with it, or continue on and go up and over at the Tunnels before getting to CO 9. Either way, you've got a climb to do, with inherent potential weather issues. As for climbing any of them, your combo of the 3500 1 ton duelly with your trailer will likely not be a problem.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would check back for construction before you go Hwy 9. About 5 miles is under major construction right now, and it is TERRIBLY rough. That is the reason I came back from Steamboat to Denver via Hwy 40 this last weekend.

Also, what specifically in Northern Colorado are you wanting to explore? Kremmling is ok, but an area like Steamboat (or Granby for that matter) would be better IMO.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

cruiserjs
Explorer
Explorer
Virtually all USFS cgs in that area will be closed by then. The only commercial cg is Tiger Run - half way between Frisco and Breckenridge. Beautiful area. We lived in Silverthorne for 13 years and do miss it.
Enjoy.
Colorado Cruiser
Cruiser CF29CK 5th wheel; 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 2wd, short bed
wonderful lifetime traveling companion/spouse

The_Harpers
Explorer
Explorer
Route #9 to Kremmling off of #70 it is. That is going to be our base camp to branch out and explore the northern part of Co. Thanks everyone.
Tom and Sydney - Monterey California
2004 HitchHiker II LS 32.5 UKTG
2003 Chevy Durmax Diesel
Travel companions Goldendoodle Hailey and Labradoodle Bailey

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned, there are some steep twisty sections of 40 over Berthoud Pass. Its doable but since you're continuing to Kremmling, its easily avoided by staying on 70 to Silverthorne and using the much easier hwy 9 north to Kremmling.
Mid Oct to mid Nov you just need to watch the forecast and adjust your schedule to avoid any major storm passing through. The difference between blue sky & sunshine or a blizzard can change in 24 hrs.
Jim

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Just drove that stretch last night. They are paving on the Winter Park side of the pass, but I am sure that will be completed by the time you are talking. It is steep, and lots of hair pin turns, some as slow as 20 MPH.

I pull my fishing boat that way up through November. As was stated, if it snows, it usually doesn't last too long that time of year. If you go in the early part of your time frame, you might still catch some of the fall colors.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
The Harpers wrote:
We would like to find information on route #40 off of inner state #70out of the town of Empire Col. To Kremmling Col. It will be cold and chances are some snow will fall. This is the time slot we have second week of Oct. to the end of Nov. We have a 32.5 Hitch Hiker and pulling it is 3500 Chevy one ton dully. Thanks.

IMHO this is a GREAT time to be in Colorado - Snow is possible but not likely to hang around - the Sun is still high enough that it will melt/evaporate in a few hours. It the weather starts to turn just stop or you could come over to Rt 9 into Silverthorne, and use I-70 in lieu of Berthoud Pass and that section of Rt 40. (I love the drive over Berthoud Pass)

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach