cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route 9 Tunnels on Zion

ferrelldebbie
Explorer
Explorer
Will we need to go through the tunnel(s) on route 9 if we are coming from Bryce and staying at a campground in Springdale?
I am not worried about me $15 fee, but will I need to pay it coming and going?
I am actually more concerned about switchbacks noted in previous posts. We will be in a rented 30' Class C camper. We are newbies.
We are going to take the city shuttle and then the park shuttle from the campground.
Advice?
9 REPLIES 9

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a big delay to wait for the one way process? We are going from Kanab, I need to decide if we are going that way or the southern loop. Also, is there mich of a pucker factor?
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Our 5th wheel was too wide, so we went around via Cedar Breaks National Monument and Cedar City. We were supposed to stay in Springdale (Watchmen Campground), but were going to be stuck in such a narrow parking space that we couldn't fully extend the slides. So, we cancelled, lost our first night's deposit, and stayed at an RV park in Hurricane.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

TANDDANDBIGE
Explorer
Explorer
I drove the tunnel route in the toad and decided I would not take the coach. The switchbacks would be interesting, but what bothered me most was that the 1.5 mile tunnel goes around curves and is unlighted! staying in the center might be challenging, we just went around. TB
2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
2gypsies wrote:
With your 30' Motorhome you won't need a permit and it will be free to drive. The permit/fee is for larger RVs.
Um, there are also limitations on vehicle width and height. What gets most RV's is the 7' 10" width restriction, as most are 8' or wider.

You're correct.... get out the measuring tape.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
With your 30' Motorhome you won't need a permit and it will be free to drive. The permit/fee is for larger RVs.
Um, there are also limitations on vehicle width and height. What gets most RV's is the 7' 10" width restriction, as most are 8' or wider.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's all you need to know about the tunnels. With your 30' it shouldn't be any issue. After you go through the tunnels and before you being going down, downshift so you won't have to use your brakes constantly. You'll be down before you know it! ๐Ÿ™‚

https://www.nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/the-zion-mount-carmel-tunnel.htm

If you want to avoid the tunnels you can take one of two other routes to Springdale.

1) From Bryce take 89 north to Hwy 20 west to I-15 south to Hwy 9 east to Springdale

2) From Bryce take 89 south just beyond Kanab, UT to Fredonia, AZ. Then take 389 west which becomes 59 in Utah and take it to Hwy 9 at Hurricane. Then east on Hwy 9 to Springdale.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jules6
Explorer
Explorer
The fee is good for two trips through the tunnel with the same vehicle in a seven day period.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
The 30 footer will be no problem on the switchbacks and yes, you will have to pay the $15 every time you go through the tunnel since traffic will be redistricted to one-way while you go through.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the corners in our 40' DP. They do make you un-hook the toad and drive it separately if you have one with you. Just take your time on the corners and you'll be fine.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.