cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route around atlanta

johnm7422
Explorer
Explorer
leaving from hickory nc to tucson az via I20. would like to pickup I20 on the other side of atlanta. Should hit atlanta around 1 or 2 pm coming from intstate 85 south from nc. I was thinging of the 285 bypass, to I20. thanks
13 REPLIES 13

bcowing
Explorer
Explorer
We left a campground at Allatoona Lake, just north of Atlanta at 10 am, medium traffic volume through the downtown route, during our trip south in February 2013. We had stayed an extra day to visit the aquarium. Any other time we have been in Atlanta always seems to be 8 am going south & 5 pm going north, not a great time to be there. Going straight through the middle doesn't take very long.

dedbird
Explorer
Explorer
I.ve travelled thru Atlanta many times. The trick is to be there on the weekend. Take I-75 thru the middle. It's well signed and saves a lot of time.

If you are confident with your driving skills, don't worry, no worse then any other major city.

johnm7422
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all for the route info around atlanta. leaving on monday jan 12 in early am. should make it to the cg in al at heflin. thanks again.

Chiefcpo
Explorer
Explorer
After Atlanta and into Alabama there is a nice campground called 9 Cane Creek just off I20 at Heflin exit. Not usually crowded and pull thru's easy in and out

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Take the 285 route, but plan your time to either night or early early morning. And just know that you will be the real slow one out there....lol

On another note...don't think the traffic will be any better on the weekend. It won't!
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
johnm7422 wrote:
leaving from hickory nc to tucson az via I20. would like to pickup I20 on the other side of atlanta. Should hit atlanta around 1 or 2 pm coming from intstate 85 south from nc. I was thinging of the 285 bypass, to I20. thanks

I agree you can either take I-285 south to I-20 and then head straight through Atlanta, or take I-285 west around the top and pick I-20 on the west side. The truck route, for what it's worth, is the latter and that would be my first choice. Neither way will be particularly pleasant: drivers on I-285 somehow manage to be both incompetent and mean as snakes. However, the same drivers also populate I-85 to the Connector through downtown Atlanta, where (as noted) the lanes are narrower and traffic patterns very much like the Fifth Circle of hell. Whichever way you go, find a happy place, pay no attention to those people who seem to be exercising a particular finger, and remember it'll all be over soon.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

rwess
Explorer
Explorer
When I-85 hits spaghetti junction (I-285/I-85 intersection) go south on I-285 thru Dekalb county. When you come to I-20 get on and take I-20 all the way straight thru Atlanta. I have taken this route numerous times and have found it the best route from I-85 North to I-20 west or vice versa.
rwess
USN Ret.
2017 Open Range 216RBS
2010 Chevy 2500HD Z71 4x4 LT

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have made the route between East Texas and Atlanta many times towing various fifth-wheels. We never had any trouble just staying on I-20 until it intersected with I-285 (We were usually headed to Stone Mountain Park). And on the return just the reverse: I-285 to I-20 then right through town. I don't remember a single time that we had any delay at all. Of course we we were not coming through during rush hours--except once when we got up early because we needed to get home in one day. (7:00 o'clock in Atlanta was 6:00 o'clock in Texas so we made it) Amazingly we had a good smooth trip through Atlanta on I-285 and I-20 at 7:00 in the morning. I know it's hard to believe; maybe we were just lucky. I'm not saying driving on 285 is fun, but we always made it without problems or delay.

johnm7422
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the info. not in a rush so i will try i285. towing 36 5th with 2011seria dulley. just want to get to al for first day.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I go straight through Atlanta often but on I-75 and the trick is to stay in the third lane from the left because of all the exits on the right side. Staying on I-85 to I-20 is only four miles shorter than using I-285 so I agree with DownTheA to use I-285. I would use the third lane from the left until exit 12 then move over to the right lane as there is only one lane to I-20 (exit 9).
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Having been an Atlanta resident for 50+ years, I can tell you that the only way to take I20 west from I85 South is via I285 west. Just follow the signs to Birmingham. The advice to to avoid I285 is poor at best. That will take you into downtown Atlanta with multiple exit only lanes. narrower lanes than I285, and drivers who never learned what merging and turn signals meant. True, the big trucks cannot travel inside I285, but why drive an extra 20 miles to avoid trucks on I 285 that you will be traveling for only 16 miles. Besides, the big trucks are already on I75 and I20!!!!!!

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Take I-40 west to Little Rock, pick up I-20 in Dallas. If your going thru Atlanta go thru downtown. No trucks, smoother pavement, and it's shorter. ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Skylark
Explorer
Explorer
John, that would be ok but I would just as soon to take i 85 thru to i 20 and be without the trucks. Trucks are not allowed down town, unless on delivery.