Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from Bar Harbor, Maine to Essex Junction, Vt

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Rv friends!
I know a question of this sort was posted a few weeks ago, but I'm going to ask again just to be on the safe side.

We are 13'6, 40ft 5th wheel trying to get from Bar Harbor to the Escapade in Essex Junction, Vt. end of July. I've looked at the Motor Carriers atlas and seems I will connect at route 2 at Newport, Maine.

Except for a small section of 2 not designated truck route near St. Johnsbury, ( I am assuming the truckers take I-91 around the town for obvious reasons) The rest seems fine.

So, am thinking of route 2 to St. Johnsbury, then I-91 to Wells River, Vt. where we will p/u route 302 to I-89 and then on in to EJ, Vt.

Now, does this sound like the route for our size rig? And while it is probably doable in a day, we will make it a 2 day trip. If anyone has suggestions on a cg say in New Hampshire/Vt. area along that route, it would be much appreciated! Experience is everything!

Thanks so much to you for your advice and help!

Buffy
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually
2014.5 TKSB3 Elite Suites by DRV
12 REPLIES 12

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
Just an Update on the trip. We made it fine across the route, however there was many stops, starts, slowdowns and speed ups. Not lots of places for big rigs to pull over.
I'm glad we did it at least once, Next time we may try sticking to interstates albeit far out of our way.

Thanks to everyone for the help, The best part of it was the beautiful scenery and that made it worth while and who knows we made decide to take the route again if in the area! 🙂
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Since you're going to the Escapee RV Club's rally, you should have specific directions by now on how to enter the fairground area.

Keep in mind when relying solely on the Motor Carrier Atlas, that is geared for semi trucks and many times they are routed around towns so they're not driving through them. RVs can go more places than semi trucks. Best to check various sources.

Have fun at the Escapade!!

Thanks, this is our first one, we are looking forward to seeing everything!
Getting ready to print off the info as we speak. Thanks for the help!
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
Sounds like you're on the right track.

Where are you going in Essex Junction? If to the fairgrounds ("Champlain Valley Exposition"), I would suggest getting off I-89 at Richmond and taking 117 (River Road) into Essex Junction, continuing on to 15 at the "five corners." That's the only potential place I know of to camp in Essex junction...though perhaps you're visiting friends or have some other plans.

Yes, we are going to the Escapade there at the Expo center. Thanks for the help and directions!! 🙂
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you're going to the Escapee RV Club's rally, you should have specific directions by now on how to enter the fairground area.

Keep in mind when relying solely on the Motor Carrier Atlas, that is geared for semi trucks and many times they are routed around towns so they're not driving through them. RVs can go more places than semi trucks. Best to check various sources.

Have fun at the Escapade!!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like you're on the right track.

Where are you going in Essex Junction? If to the fairgrounds ("Champlain Valley Exposition"), I would suggest getting off I-89 at Richmond and taking 117 (River Road) into Essex Junction, continuing on to 15 at the "five corners." That's the only potential place I know of to camp in Essex junction...though perhaps you're visiting friends or have some other plans.

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:
buffymb wrote:
ryegatevt wrote:
I'd just stay on Rt 2 from St J to Montpelier and then pick up I89 to Essex. Your route south on I-93 takes you over 50 miles out of your way. BTW, We've live in the St J area for 50 years...

Okay, thanks, we may do that then. I didn't realize it was that many miles. Looking at the MCA, it showed a small strip of road into town that was not showing as a route for a big rig so we thought maybe it was something we should avoid.

Thanks so much!

I should have said "your route south on I-91". I-93 Merges into I-91 just south of St J - go north for a mile or so and head west on Route 2. You won't have to drive thru St J.

Thanks, Sounds perfect!
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
buffymb wrote:
ryegatevt wrote:
I'd just stay on Rt 2 from St J to Montpelier and then pick up I89 to Essex. Your route south on I-93 takes you over 50 miles out of your way. BTW, We've live in the St J area for 50 years...

Okay, thanks, we may do that then. I didn't realize it was that many miles. Looking at the MCA, it showed a small strip of road into town that was not showing as a route for a big rig so we thought maybe it was something we should avoid.

Thanks so much!

I should have said "your route south on I-91". I-93 Merges into I-91 just south of St J - go north for a mile or so and head west on Route 2. You won't have to drive thru St J.
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
ryegatevt wrote:

Thanks so much!
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

buffymb
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies, we may try it, it seems that many of you use that route, so that gives us the confidence to try it.

My biggest concern was the height of our rig versus low clearance bridges and overpasses, but it seems from the atlas we should be okay.

DH is pretty good at maneuvering in traffic so that doesn't concern me to much as he is very good at pulling over if we start to hold up folks.

The route sounds very scenic and much more inviting than the interstate.

Thanks again for the input!

Buffy
Buffy
America-Land That I Love
2013 Ford F450 Dually

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

pjinthedaks
Explorer
Explorer
We always use the Twin Mountain KOA as our stopping point for that trip. Just off of Route 2. X2 on seeing Mount Washington!

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
We have used I95/US2/I93/I89 pulling two different 5ers, a 35 footer and a 38 footer. Route 2 has a fair number of hills and of course traffic that can only be classed as trying to your patience but usually not too heavy. We do it in a day, but your idea of an overnight would work well though I can't recommend any CG, but would look near Gorham, NH and consider a side trip to the Mt Washington, NH area if you have the time.