cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route from Crater Lake, OR to the Red Woods in CA

jomimac
Explorer
Explorer
We are traveling in a 30' 5th wheel from Crater Lake to the Red Woods in northern CA. We are contemplating going on route 62 to Grants Pass and then taking route 199 to route 101 and follow that to our destination. Does anyone have input on issues we may face taking that route.
9 REPLIES 9

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
gat75 wrote:
cpaulsen wrote:
Where is Crystal Beach??

Sorry about that, it is located in Crescent City, CA

Are you talking of Crescent Beach?
cpaulsen

jomimac
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your input. I'm a long way from home and appreciate your help. jomimac

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
cpaulsen wrote:
Where is Crystal Beach??

Sorry about that, it is located in Crescent City, CA

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
199 is a good road, no problems towing or with a larger rig. We are heading that ourselves on Wednesday.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Where is Crystal Beach??
cpaulsen

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
jomimac wrote:
We are traveling in a 30' 5th wheel from Crater Lake to the Red Woods in northern CA. We are contemplating going on route 62 to Grants Pass and then taking route 199 to route 101 and follow that to our destination. Does anyone have input on issues we may face taking that route.

Hwy. 62 goes to Medford.....you would turn off on Hwy.234 north of Eagle Point which then runs into I-5 close to Gold HIll...then to Grants Pass. Or follow 62 into Medford then hit I-5 and head north to GP. 101 is a good road....little windy in a couple of spots but trucks use it all the time. It is a nice drive.
cpaulsen

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
An alternative would be to go out the north side of the park, and down 138 to I5, and 42 on to the coast.

gat75
Explorer
Explorer
Would advise stopping for a break in Grants Pass before going down 199. There is only 1 small rest area after entering CA. The 2 lane road is narrow & winding, will have lots of truck traffic if going into CA during working hrs.

Also, fuel up before entering CA!

We stayed at the Hiouchi RV park. Nice, but different RV park, close to everything, but no sea spray to contend with. RVs are parked parallel.

Be sure & visit Crystal beach & the city docks to see the sea lions.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Those roads are OK but remember that all roads going that direction are windy and 2 lane. You will need to allow plenty of time, take it slow and enjoy the scenery!
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi