cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route from Maine to Gatlinburg? Least traffic?

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi! We pull a 41' 5th wheel and so far have only traveled out west where the traffic is more sparse. This August we're going to start in the Maritimes and head down the eastern seaboard during fall colors....hoping to end up in the Smoky Mountains around the first of November. My husband is concerned about driving around New York City and the congested areas of the eastern US. Any recommendations on how to avoid some of that traffic? Routes? Back roads? Toll roads vs. regular roads? We'd greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks so much!
20 REPLIES 20

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If you can't get into Rickett's Glenn there is another State park close enough. Francis Slocum State Park.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
rvfiddleddd wrote:
trailertraveler.....Ricketts Glen.....great idea! I've heard of it but never been there. And we don't mind occasionally sleeping at a truck stop or Walmart. But we've never just pulled in a random parking lot. I wouldn't feel safe. ๐Ÿ™‚ But we'll probably try to make a reservation. Thanks for the info!

Ricketts Glen is my favorite state park. If you enjoy hiking, leave time to follow the streams around the 22 waterfalls in the park. By the way, plan on arriving (and leaving) via the north entrance. Going south, state Rt 487 between the park & Red Rock, PA goes down (or up) an 18%, 2 mile grade!

Some Photos of the park.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I've live in UPstate NY my entire life. Only been to NYC probly 6 times. Mainly to JFK. I wouldn't drive there if I was offered a $1 mill. (well okay maybe for 1 mill....LOL). I would avoid NYC at all costs, as that has been pointed out, 84 to 81.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
ct1964ups......great suggestions. We really do love getting off the interstates whenever possible. Thanks so much!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler.....Ricketts Glen.....great idea! I've heard of it but never been there. And we don't mind occasionally sleeping at a truck stop or Walmart. But we've never just pulled in a random parking lot. I wouldn't feel safe. ๐Ÿ™‚ But we'll probably try to make a reservation. Thanks for the info!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
Impres......Duly noted! Thanks!!

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
You can pick up I-84 off the Mass Pike (I-90) and connect with I-81 south. It's rough road and construction areas between Scranton and Harrisburg. We like to cut down US209 through the Delaware Water Gap and connect to I-80 to I-81.

Avoid I-95 through New York. No reason to go that way because you're headed for I-81 anyway.

if you decide to go this way.....get off 84 at exit 53 in Pa which is the first exit off 84 after you cross the Deleware river from NY state and follow 209 to Milford then thru the nat'l forest...nice ride with pulloffs for lunch or whatever...then take I-80 from exit 309 tand get off exit 302 taking Pa rt 33 to Pa rt 22 to I-78 to I-81 and on down....
Now at exit 53 which is Matamoras,Pa there is a year round campground called Tri-State Campground...which they have expanded in the last year,and is big and wide open...C
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
rvfiddleddd wrote:
...We pull a 41' 5th wheel...
If you plan on visiting Ricketts Glen, which I love, I suggest that you contact the park as their website lists only a few sites at 40' and none longer. If you are traveling with pets, they are only permitted on designated sites and there are only a few 40' sites where pets are allowed.

Going through Virginia on I-81, I suggest you plan your overnights at least a day or two in advance. There are some pretty long stretches with few or no campgrounds/RV parks and we have had several times that some of the few there are did not have room for us. If you are willing to do parking lots or truck stops, that will make it less of an issue.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
In the last three years I pulled a 5r 95 south through NY over the GWB, through CT over the Tappen Zee and down the Garden State Parkway, and this year 90 to 84 to 81. I will only travel pulling my trailer down the 81 route from now on!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
phillyg....thanks for mentioning the bad patches of roads. I think we'll go to AAA before our trip begins and have them put together a Trip-tik for us. They are usually pretty good about telling you where the bad roads and construction are. Thanks for your post!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
Rangerman40.....I posted the same question on another forum, and this seems to be the consensus. Thanks!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4.....US209? Great! We love to get off on the back roads, as long as we know it's a good enough road. Thanks for the suggestion!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967.....wow! Thanks for the suggestions! This is the next thing I'm going to start working on.....finding what to see and do along the way. We have the first part of our trip in the Maritimes nicely worked out, but I'm just starting to figure out what to do as we travel down the eastern seaboard. I'll check out all of those places! Thanks!

rvfiddleddd
Explorer
Explorer
kerrlakeRoo.......thanks so much for the links. There is a lot of good information there! However, I searched and searched and did not find where on either of the sites it mentioned the clearance for an RV. I'll check into this tho'......good to know before we get on either drive!