cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

route to south Lake Tahoe

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! In Sept. 2014 I will be driving my 38` MOTORHOME with tow from Groveland, Ca.(Yosemite Ridge RV resort) to south Lake Tahoe. Can I take 49 to Hwy. 50 over to Tahoe? I see older posts that say I 80 is terrible and I prefer no interstate when in a scenic area. This is my first time to the area! Thanks in advance fellow rv`ers!
25 REPLIES 25

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks!

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh. If you only have one day then don't do the drive I suggested. I'd spend the day in Yosemite. And I'd probably do Glacier Point Road instead of Tioga. Much better view from there. But a drive up Glacier Point and back and then some time in the Valley will use up an entire day before you know it.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure I can leave the dogs that long... We may just make it over the Tioga Pass since we want to do the Village too. Thanks! We really only have 1 full day.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like to drive, a good day trip from Groveland is to take Tioga Pass and go all the way to 395. Then come back over 108 (Sonora Pass) all the way back down to 49 and then back over to Groveland. Leave early because it is a long drive, but it's doable in a day. There's quite a few different things to see and do along that route.

You'll need to check the status of the forest roads where you're staying if you like getting into the back Country. The RV park you'll be at was surrounded by the Rim fire last year so all the area around you will have been burned. I know there are some areas still closed up there but I'm not sure what has been opened back up. Cherry Lake is a nice ride but that road will go right through the heart of the burned area. It's all nice and green again, but most of the trees are dead. Did open up the view though.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Ebbets Pass looks amazing! I see what you mean. Looks tight. We will be staying just east of Groveland and driving the car around sightseeing. Tioga Pass and the road to Yosemite Village we will check out. Any other suggestions?

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
49 to 88 to 89 it is. Thanks very much for the advice! I was just plugging in all my stops and saw that the Good Sams trip maker was taking me a different way. Interesting that it would do that! Guess it is not to be trusted. How about that low clearance just south of the Golden Gate Bridge where Hwy. 1 and Hwy. 101 split. The software is keeping me on Hwy. 1 (Park Presidio Blvd) down to Half Moon Bay. That is the only clearance! that is showing up all the way from Seattle down the scenic highway. ๐Ÿ™‚

murphysranch
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, take 49. You'll hit some curves which are completely manageable from Sonora to Angels Camp, and then some more as you come down into Jackson. We've done it with our 29' no problem.
Empty nesters
2 cats
2 cattle dogs too!

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a shot of Ebbets Pass up near the top:

Link to Google

On Edit: I couldn't get the street view to link up. Click the above link and switch to street view to see what Ebbets Pass looks like.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
jtcpartners wrote:
My mapping software is taking me across 4 to 89. Should I change the route to 49 to 88 to 89?

Do not take Highway 4 to 89. That is Ebbets Pass. It's been a while since I've been over it, but it's a great road for a Motorcycle, not so great for a motorhome. It's a one lane road in places.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
jtcpartners wrote:
Dan, do you mean you are agreeing with wgriswolds comments about route? What do you folks think about jmtandem saying โ€œTake 49 to 88 to 89, shorter and very doable in an RVโ€. Which do you all think is the best route for me to take. A little shorter or longer doesn't matter so much. I rather go the route best for the rig. If they are equally passable then how about which is most scenic? Thanks!

The 49 to 88 to 89 route is the best route for an RV. It is the most scenic and 88 is a good road. 49, between 88 and 50 gets narrow and has lots of curves. 88 has the curves but it's a nice wide road and won't have near the traffic 50 has.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
My mapping software is taking me across 4 to 89. Should I change the route to 49 to 88 to 89?

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
Probably 88 then. THanks!

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
88 wil have less traffic and is a much nicer drive than 50.

jtcpartners
Explorer
Explorer
It will be Sunday, Sept. 7 (God willing) so I sure hope there is no snow... Thanks for all the advice and I may just go 50. At least now I know there are 2 options without going up to the Interstate, around and then down. So much better!