cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Routing Question from my Canadian Friends

rkassl
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone recommend a good route entering Alberta north of Shelby Montana to get to Dawson Creek, but avoiding Calgary and Edmonton, we would be pulling a 40' 5th wheel trailer. Nothing against the two cities but not a fan of urban towing.

Thanks!
2015 Montana 3440RL Legacy Edition
PullRite Super 5th 20K hitch
Morryde Pin Box
Dish Tailgater and King Tailgater Satellite Systems
2016 GMC Sierra Denali 3500 SRW CC full bed
10 REPLIES 10

trigley
Explorer
Explorer
All of the above replies are accurate but no one has mentioned you can take highway 22 all the way from highway 3 to 16. It is a good 2 lane highway with shoulders. Wanders a bit in places but a nice scenic drive although not as scenic as the Park route.
When you reach highway 16 you can cut west and pick up highway 22 again north to 43 or you can continue west to Hinton and take highway 40 which is a nice scenic drive.
As others have stated the Calgary Edmonton bypasses are not bad. In fact the highway 2 traffic between the cities is often worse than the bypasses.

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on how much time you have. If you want to sightsee on the way, then go through Lethbridge, Fernie, Cranbrook (turn just before), Radium, Lake Louise, Jasper, Hinton, Grande Cache, Grande Prairie and then Dawson. Scenic, but slow. And a lot longer.

If you want to make some time, easily the best way is through both Calgary and Edmonton. I don't care for urban towing either but it is easy to get through both cities on the freeways. Calgary has both Deerfoot Trail (direct through the city) and Stoney Trail (ring road on the east side). Neither one is difficult to navigate.

Edmonton has Anthony Henday on the southwest of the city. It is a great way to get through quickly.

If you are adamant that you want to avoid cities, then use highway 22 as another poster has said. It will add some time because it is not as direct and is also single lane so it is slower.

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
I assume your going to cross in to Canada and Alberta at Coutt / Sweetgrass.
From there follow the hwy up to Lethbridge and then on to Fort MacLeod. From here you follow Hwy 3 west towards British Columbia it's about ( if I remember) about 40 miles to the Hwy Jct with hwy 3 and 22.
Follow Hwy 22 North all the way to Hwy 1.
There is a nice campground that we stay at when we visit the kids in Cochrane called Bow Riversedge campground, which is about 10 to 12 miles past the Jct with Hwy 22 and Hwy 1, in Cochrane.
Take Hwy 1 west to Banff Lake Louise and then take at Lake Louise take Hwy 93 North to Jasper.
Once past Jasper take hwy 16 towards Hinton , just before Hinton there is another road which is Hwy 40 . That road will take you right up to Grande Prairie. About Hwlf way up Hwy40 there is a town called Grade Cashe, fuel stop and it does have a nice community camp ground the last time we went through.
From Grande Prairie it is a short drive over to Daswon Creek.
My DW is From Stewart BC and a few years back we did this exact route starting at the Jct with Hwy 3 and 22, North up to Watson Lake and then down Hwy 37 to Stewart / Hyder Alaska.
I'm pulling a 34' 5er so I feel your pain on city driving.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I vote for the scenic route, too. The by pass in Calgary is a godsend.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
Just a tip if staying anywhere near Calgary or Edmonton. Don't...the parks there are not great. Try Cochrane, AB (west of Calgary) or Stony Plain (west of Edmonton).

Oldcoots
Explorer
Explorer
Both Calgary & Edmonton have ring roads that go along the outer edge of the cities, this makes your trip go much quicker

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If you were to take a gander at this Google map...highway #22 takes you out of all of it. It is the Cowboy Highway..paved..ranches, and cattle. Some traffic but no big deal.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Alberta/@51.4869528,-114.7887017,9z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x5309b282a8241...

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was thru both Edmonton and Calgary last summer headed to Alaska and on return with our dually crew cab and 40" fiver. Even hit Calgary at rush hour. No problems at all! You will be thru them quickly as to me they aren't really that large of cities compared to east coast US cities.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looking at the map you can take 22 up to Banff and the park highway up to 40 and there to to Grand Prairie. Looks to be much more scenic.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Edmonton is not a big deal to get through. And definitely the fast was toward Grande Prairie.