cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nebraska higher than Alaska?

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
I read in HOG Magazine that Nebraska has higher paved roads than Alaska.

Alaska's highest is 3322 on the Glenn Hwy. Nebraska comes in at 5105 out on I-80.
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

18 REPLIES 18

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
I would have thought that question would best be asked about Colorado and Washington. :B
I think now Alaska has the same thing. :C

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I would have thought that question would best be asked about Colorado and Washington. :B

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Florida has an overpass thats 345 feet high ?

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the Yukon Territory, Bear Creek Summit 15 miles northwest of Haines Junction is the highest paved roadway at 3294 ft., as Boutillier Summit near Kluane Lake is one foot less in elevation....less then 30 feet exceeding the Glenn Hwy. 3322 ft. at Eureka Summit.

Tangle Lakes area on the Denali Highway is in the mid 2800 ft. range as the highest paved road portion there....I would say Hatcher Pass Road at mile 17 is close to the 2800 ft. range on the paved portion before ascending the 12 percent grade on the unpaved portion to the summit at mile 19.

For other US elevation trivia, I was asked which US state capitol city had the highest elevation as I was correct on my second answer after I quickly answered Cheyenne Wyoming which was wrong, then I said Santa Fe New Mexico after 15 seconds thinking about it.

Two other questions I was asked about US elevation I was correct only on one answer upon thinking hard and guessing was :

Which US state "lowest elevation point" is the highest among the 50 US states - and guessed Colorado, it was at 3315 ft.

Which US state "highest elevation point" is the lowest among the 50 US states - and guessed Louisiana which was wrong, it was at 535 ft.....second guess was Mississippi and that was wrong at 807 ft., then guessed Florida which was correct at 345 ft.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
The difference is that in Alaska you start at sea level, in Nebraska you're already up a ways.

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
B.C. and Alberta have higher paved roads:
B.C. - Kootenay Pass 5,823 ft
Alberta - Highwood Pass 7,238 ft

Kootenay Pass (a.k.a. Salmo-Creston) is open year round.
Highwood Pass closes in winter.

You can drive both on your way to or from Alaska, if you're so inclined. Both are popular routes.

Kootenay Pass is up, up and up and then down, down and down. Be sure your cooling system and brakes are in good order.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

rag-ftw
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Nebraska...... Paved roads are over-rated! Our dirt roads go places!

May I amend this to add awesome scenic places. Anyone who has driven the road over Hatcher Pass, the Denali Highway, The Taylor Highway, Top of The World, or to The Kennicott Mine can appreciate the scenic beauty of Alaska's dirt roads.

We have more miles of pavement in the city limits of Fort Worth than all of Alaska. But that doesn't make them memorable or the least bit scenic!
2004 Travel Supreme 38DS04
2009 Ranger 4X4 Towed
Ready Brake, Tire Minder

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
MORSNOW wrote:
Nebraska...... Not quite the vacation destination that Alaska is.

Paved roads are over-rated! Our dirt roads go places!

I like that.....
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
Nebraska...... Not quite the vacation destination that Alaska is.

Paved roads are over-rated! Our dirt roads go places!
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

4huskers
Explorer
Explorer
No it's elevation he's talking about.

Luke_Porter
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Your profile shows you as a National Director. Of what, exactly?

Gary Haupt

Directions!
Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
By higher, it looks like you mean Nebraska has more miles of paved roads. I wouldn't doubt it because we only really have three highways with some extensions going off of them.

But, I'll bet we have more land locked up by the government than any other state! And therefore that means we have less land in private ownership than any other state! When I did some research on it several years ago, only slightly over one half of one percent of the land in Alaska was in private ownership.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Your profile shows you as a National Director. Of what, exactly?

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

sh410
Explorer
Explorer
Sarah could ๐Ÿ™‚