cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Chicago to San Francisco

ijam1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm taking our 31' class C from Chicago to San Francisco via I80. I'm worried about going thru the mountains. Anyone have any tips, things to avoid, ... on this route? Thanks In advance.
2002 Four Winds 31Z
5 REPLIES 5

brooks379
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing you can do is make sure the maintenance is up on your RV ! Make sure the coolant and hoses are 100% your tires are good with the correct air pressure. You have some pretty good pulls across I 80 in WY, UT, NV and Donner Summit in California. A lot of RV's travel that interstate every day but if your RV isn't maintained it can put you on the side of the hill waiting for the $$$$ repair truck to fix it $$$$

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The interstates were designed for truck traffic and that is what you will see. A lot of trucks. And the grades were also designed for those same trucks. Not too steep. My advise is on a steep decline, use intermediate gears and take them slow, and not sitting on your brakes all the way down. And going up the hills, just take your time, the loaded trucks will be going slow also.

ijam1
Explorer
Explorer
Great, that really helps.
2002 Four Winds 31Z

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
ijam1 wrote:
I'm taking our 31' class C from Chicago to San Francisco via I80. I'm worried about going thru the mountains. Anyone have any tips, things to avoid, ... on this route? Thanks In advance.

If I am forced to take this route we will always try to AVOID CHICAGO:B
Then look out for the road Joints - once you get to the Mountains it will be a dream, not a nightmare.

The only other advice is to jump off the Interstate a little to see a little more of the country.

Not problems is an easy drive.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
I'm assuming you are taking I-80.

Rv's travel that route every day.

Enjoy the scenary once you leave the flat lands.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel