cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV travel across Canada during these lockdown times

Sledgehammer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a RV rental company relocation deal from Toronto to Vancouver in a week or so which is technically a commercial delivery (I believe). We will have a company letter stating that. How that will be interpreted but any police stops I've no idea. Especially if we're not on a direct route to Vancouver.

Just trying to figure what this journey will be like as more of the country closes down. I think we will have just lost some of our reservations to stay in some of the National Parks.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Also welcome to share any experiences if you're on the road in the next few+?? weeks.
35 REPLIES 35

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Letโ€™s remember:
Canada doesnโ€™t make / produce/ or manufacture any COVID-19 vaccines. NONE!
Canada has to buy ALL our vaccines from other nice counties around the world.
And as everyone knows when they place an order for something.... things happen, like LATE deliveries or no deliveries at all for the order you were promised for a particular date.
So in saying that.
Stay safe everyone and stay healthy .
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Well, Canadians should concern themselves with Canada and Americans with the US. Right now le taux de mortalitรฉ est three times lower in Canada than the US per capita. About a third of Canadians have had their first shot. Overall in the world we are doing okay all there is always room for improvement. Iโ€™m 59, had my first shot a couple weeks ago. Keeping the mask on out of respect for my fellow citizens. Weโ€™ll get through this with a little patience and respect.

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, Canada is way behind the US in vaccinations.
US sits at about 26% fully vaccinated.
Canada sits at about 2.5% fully vaccinated.

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"If you are an American doing this you should be worried."

When Canada is ready for us Americans to return we shall. Take your time and be as safe as you can be.

At this point, I think it is the other way around. The US has done a far better job of vaccinating than most of Canada.

I'm 56, live in BC and still on the waiting list for any vaccine.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
I feel sorry for the people that think restrictions do not help to slow this pandemic down, sad state of affairs among some people.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well thatโ€™s completely over stepping bounds to restrict outdoor, rural activities.
Even the lib parts of the US have just recently figured out that masks donโ€™t do squat outdoors.
(Or indoors for that fact except to catch the spray from a sneeze or cough)
Thatโ€™s too bad. Feel soorry for you folks up there.
The only upside to Canadaโ€™s restrictions is its saved us many thousands of dollars in cost for our son to play hockey up there....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jrdale
Explorer
Explorer
Travel within BC is restricted within Health Regions, so travelling in a camper van is asking to be checked at some point or randomly. Probably not the wisest time to be "vacationing" albeit on a "delivery"

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Sledgehammer wrote:
We have a RV rental company relocation deal from Toronto to Vancouver in a week or so which is technically a commercial delivery (I believe). We will have a company letter stating that. How that will be interpreted but any police stops I've no idea. Especially if we're not on a direct route to Vancouver.

Just trying to figure what this journey will be like as more of the country closes down. I think we will have just lost some of our reservations to stay in some of the National Parks.

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Also welcome to share any experiences if you're on the road in the next few+?? weeks.

so here in BC, all provincial campgrounds and hotels are cancling out of "health athority" zone reservation. so me being in the interior health zone cannot take my rv and go camping or stay in a hotel or equivent, in the lower mainland for example. if you are making a living with this job there are exemptions to the travel restrictions (yes I cannot even drive down to vancouver to visit my daughter) but you still wouldnt be able to pull into a campground for the night, you would have to stay in the pull over areas that comercial truckers use to be safe.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
The Manitoba border is two or three days away from you.
The way they've been flip flopping on this you could get caught half way there... Just saying.

Sledgehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Fizz wrote:
Would be best to call somebody official who can give you a straight answer. It's a 2000 mile round trip if you get turned back.

Thx Fizz
I'm not sure I'd get a straight answer given all the different jurisdictions involved and how authorities interpret them. As an example looking at the Hull/Ottawa traffic cams currently there seems to be little or no checks on that border.

Sledgehammer
Explorer
Explorer
Thx everyone for your replies.
Driving through BC after tomorrows news could be challenging. AB & SK, currently a non issue I think.

Sledgehammer
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Hi,

At this time the border between Ontario and Manitoba is closed.

***Link Removed***

and here are reasons to give if you need to travel.

***Link Removed***

Thx
Ontario to Manitoba seems to be anon issue however the OPP are stopping all traffic into Ontario from Manitoba. Quebec into Ontario in Ottawa isn't as stringent, currently.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

At this time the border between Ontario and Manitoba is closed.

https://winnipegsun.com/news/news-news/check-stop-in-place-at-ontario-border

and here are reasons to give if you need to travel.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7768836/ontario-quebec-manitoba-border-closures-exemptions/
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
sch911 wrote:
If you are Canadians, and your not leaving Canada there is nothing to worry about. Why would there be? If you are an american doing this you should be worried. Many stories of transits through Canada which turned into sightseeing trips to Banff (etc) and been busted by RMP.

Our friends in Ontario tell us even the province to province boarder is being shut down but I'm not sure about the western provinces.

So depending on how serious they take it, it could be an issue.

You can travel out of Ontario to the West without issue.

BTW the Provincial borders are NOT shut down. Coming into Ontario from Manitoba could be an issue but going West will not - the OPP are monitoring that. Same with the Quebec - Ontario border. Ottawa police stopped doing checks on Monday so it is open. British Columbia is cracking down though with the stay at home orders.

The Third Wave is proving to be stubborn particularly with the variants. Check Province to Province for local restrictions.

Passing through should not be an issue.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman