cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RVing versus hotels for a trip out west fromVA

dukenurse
Explorer
Explorer
Honey is having second thoughts about driving from VA to NM, ID then home with sightseeing along the way. We have a diesel truck with a self contained slide in. We don't have any time constraints and only want to drive 300 or les miles per day. Your suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Connie
35 REPLIES 35

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my take on it. You're going to be driving each option, so you're going to be sitting in the truck for the 4,000 odd miles of the round trip. That's around 60 hours, a week on the road each way. That's 14 nights in a hotel, eating out three meals a day, and I figure the cost difference between that and camping at $100 per night, so the hotel trip will cost around $1400 more than camping (including fuel difference for pulling the trailer). Plus you get to sleep in your own bed, eat your own food that you prepare, etc.

Downside of camping is that you need to tow the trailer, you need to do the housework of maintaining the trailer, making the bed, doing laundry, cooking, washing the dishes. Figure two hours a day on housework and taking care of the rig.

Other things - you can be equally "free" with either. I often stop for an over-night tucked in the back of a truck stop - free, use the truck stop facilities, have a meal in their restaurant, shop at their store, fill up with fuel. I stop at a "camp ground" maybe one night in three on a long trip. When I do a long trip with hotels, I pick up the State visitors guide at the visitors center when I enter each state. It has nothing in it but discount coupons to all of the hotels and motels along the interstate, exit numbers, other amenities, and I use that as a guide to where I plan to stop each night. Makes me equally free. So I've done trips each way, and enjoyed both. They are quite different, though, and I sure do get tired of hotels and restaurant food after a couple of days on the road.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drove fm VA to LA, a 7900+ mile tripe this time last year. We went south, stopping in Vicksburg, San Antonio, Fredsricksburg, TX, Carlsbad, NM, Tombstone & Tucson, AZ, Las Vegas, Death Valley, Los Angeles, back to Grand Canyon, then diagonally across the country to KC to visit son's in-laws, then on to Michigan to visit daughter then home.

The nice thing about the trailer we pulled was I got to sleep in my bed every night, not in a bed someone else slept in the night before.

dukenurse wrote:
Honey is having second thoughts about driving from VA to NM, ID then home with sightseeing along the way. We have a diesel truck with a self contained slide in. We don't have any time constraints and only want to drive 300 or les miles per day. Your suggestions are welcome.
Thanks,
Connie
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Based on our experience with that type of trip, 8-10 weeks would be good without feeling rushed. We also like to drive 300 or less miles/day when enroute between destinations.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

mdamerell
Explorer
Explorer
Well either way you sound like you will be driving. So it must come down to RV or hotel room. Personally in the RV I don't have to drag luggage in and out. Can find locations with much better views in the RV. Eat my own food or eat out if I wish. Generally, you meet nicer people in a CG. The only perk to the hotel room over your slide in may be the shower but you can always use the CG shower or when the urge strikes get the hotel room for the night.

I use to travel for a living and I personally dislike most hotel rooms, bed bugs and all.

It's not the destination but the trip along the way that creates the experience. I'd rather remember the road and CG's than TSA pat downs and cramped airline seating.
2012 Sundance 3100RB w/Reese Goose Box
2004 Ford F350 6.0 L PSD, CC, DRW, long bed, B&W drop ball hitch, Firestone Ride-rite air bags.

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the question? :B The camper allows you to stop and start as you please, take the road less traveled and enjoy the journey. Plus you always know what the bed is like and where the bathroom is.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
When do you plan to leave? Going south from VA the first stops that occur to me are Shenandoah NP and Mammoth Caves NP if you haven't been to those sites. I'd take I-44 from St Louis down to I-40 and that to NM. New Mexico is full of places to go. Leaving NM north on I-25 thru CO will take you close to Great Sand Dunes and later Rocky Mountain NP. In WY you can take US20 west to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. That brings you to the east side of ID. There are all sorts of small attractions and parks along these routes.

I'd take I-90 back which would bring you thru the Black Hills and pass close to Devils Tower in WY. Then Badlands NP.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper