cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seattle Wa. to 4 Corners mid to late Oct.

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer

We are considering going in this direction on our way south this year probably through Salt Lake City.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to routes/highways and possible weather warnings.:h
We have a Ram 3500 4x4 diesel and a 35' 5th wheel.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
15 REPLIES 15

ford_up
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing a similar trip now-from the northern Vancouver. Hit Lava Hot Springs in Idaho before SLC. Found the blue pig-bbq, live blues and brews new in Moab since I was there last.Got a bunch of Moab on on the truck-gotta love the off road trails in the area. I,ve been at Mesa Verde for the past few nights-suggest reservations at Morefield to get one of the few full hook up site. It's been going to freezing and a couple of degrees below at night. Hovenweep is worth the stop. Going to try the dirt road into Chaco Canyon tomorrow-Aztec as a waypoint.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
'4 corners' can be taken in the narrow sense of the geographical point and surrounding tourist shops, or the broad sense of the 4 surrounding states.

On one trip I came south from Canada on I15, crossed from Provo to Moab on 6 and 191 (via Price). After some backroads in the Moab area I went south to Hovenweep (nice small scale ruins), through the Navajo and Hopi lands to Albuquerque. Then north to Durango via Santa Fe and Taos. Then through Silverton and Ouray and north.

On another trip I left I15 north of SLC, cut through the mountains to Duschane, and south to Moab. Then SE to Telluride and the San Juan Mtns. From Cortez I took a good county road to Utah (past the turn off to Hovenweep), and across southern Utah (Bullfrog ferry, Capitol Reef, UT12, Bryce, etc. On this trip we had a couple of days of wet weather, due to the remnants of a tropical storm from the Pacific. It kept us off some backroads, but added some nice color to the dessert.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Mootpoint wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
Is there some compelling reason to visit the Four Corners at any time of the year? It's a vast wasteland. The only reason to visit there is the taco pizza.

I know you are just putting forward your own opinion but I think you should try another search engine. I did some research on the area before posting this request so now I am using these responses to coordinate my travels to make sure I don't miss anything. There is lots there.:h

Excellent response, Mootpoint. Dick B is certainly hung up on his search engine. That's his comment when anyone asks for help. If everyone went directly to search instead of posting for help then there would be nothing in the search engine to search for. :W
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Is there some compelling reason to visit the Four Corners at any time of the year? It's a vast wasteland. The only reason to visit there is the taco pizza.

I know you are just putting forward your own opinion but I think you should try another search engine. I did some research on the area before posting this request so now I am using these responses to coordinate my travels to make sure I don't miss anything. There is lots there.:h
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
A must is Hovensweep East of Blanding if you are going to Monument Valley, worth the side trip. In Blanding they have 2 nice museums, one at the visitor's center and one at a state park in town. enjoyed both.

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:

A vast wasteland :h You must have been looking out of your front window when you posted that comment & exactly where did you get your so called Taco Pizza (Chicago)? They have plenty of Navajo Tacos and Mutton burgers (yum yum), but never have seen a Taco Pizza in the 65 yrs I've been in the neighborhood.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
I've been in that area several times, mostly in early to mid October. It's absolutely beautiful. There's plenty to see and do there, not just at the 4-Corner monument itself. Anyone who thinks it's just a wasteland is spending too much time at the video console.

We've had a few chilly nights, but no nasty weather on our trips there -- however, I agree it's into the unpredictable time of year.

Consider bypassing SLC: 84 to Twin Falls, then 93 south to 50 east to 15 again.
Mostly all 2 lane, but good road surfaces -- again, not the way to go if bad weather is likely.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
After a Moab/Arches/Canyonlands stop, take US 491 to the Cortez/Mesa Verde area, if you are interested in the Anasazi ruins. Camp at Juniper Campground at McPhee Reservoir near Dolores (electric sites available) and spend at least a half-day at the BLM's Anasazi Heritage Center and another half-day driving out to Lowry Pueblo in the Canyons of the Ancients National Monument. Then go to Mesa Verde with a much more in-depth understanding of Anasazi history and culture than you can get just visiting Mesa Verde alone.

Drive over to Durango and take US 550 south to Aztec (more Anasazi ruins). Then head south to the Chaco Culture World Heritage Site. There is a dry campground at Chaco (water at visitor's center and flush toilets), but you should check the road conditions before taking a 35' trailer out there. Be sure to check the schedule to see if the Albuquerque Astronomy Club is having a dark sky viewing program. If not, don't miss a night program in the Chaco observatory. Then you can head further south on 550 to Albuquerque or detour east to Los Alamos, Bandelier National Monument, and Taos/Santa Fe.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning much the same trip for 2016 Figure to take 84 down to SLC and then down to Moab to spend some time there. We want to check out Monument Valley so might do that and then double back to Farmington and Chaco passing by 4 Corners on the way. There isn't much to do at 4 Corners but I've heard the Navajo sell Fry Bread there in a van and that it's pretty good. Our ultimate goal is to tour New Mexico....

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
Mootpoint wrote:

We are considering going in this direction on our way south this year probably through Salt Lake City.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to routes/highways and possible weather warnings.:h

Of the 4 possible "corner" areas, I think that Cortez/Mesa Verde/Durango/Telluride area would be the best of the 4, followed closely by the Moab/Bluff/Monticello area and access to the National Parks in the area. AZ and NM are more desert areas, and while beautiful in their own way, for many folks they are an "acquired" taste. There are more mountains in UT and CO to break up some of the sameness of the desert.

Weather in those areas can be very changeable. This time of year and going in to October, we here in Colorado keep an eye on low pressure systems that come across AZ and NM and set up in the OK panhandle, for nasty weather to hit along the eastern Front Range. That nastiness usually hits the 4 Corners area a day or two prior, so watching forecasts for the Flagstaff area would certainly be appropriate. Systems come primarily from the W/SW that impact the 4 Corners.

There's several routes you could take from SLC, just depends on how much time you want to spend driving, and on what kind of roads.

Great! Thank you!

That's basically what I want to hear. We are on no schedule so hunkerin' down for a day or two for it to pass is not a problem.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
If you want to be a real tourist, you can drive to the actual point where Colorado, Utah, Arizona and New Mexico meet. There's a plaque in the ground on that point. You can take pictures of yourselves standing with your heels in two states and your toes in the other two at the same time. There's nothing else there. Big Whoop. It wasn't worth the drive. I've read reports that the plaque isn't even in the right place.
Here's a link.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mootpoint wrote:

Of the 4 possible "corner" areas, I think that Cortez/Mesa Verde/Durango/Telluride area would be the best of the 4, followed closely by the Moab/Bluff/Monticello area and access to the National Parks in the area. AZ and NM are more desert areas, and while beautiful in their own way, for many folks they are an "acquired" taste. There are more mountains in UT and CO to break up some of the sameness of the desert.

Weather in those areas can be very changeable. This time of year and going in to October, we here in Colorado keep an eye on low pressure systems that come across AZ and NM and set up in the OK panhandle, for nasty weather to hit along the eastern Front Range. That nastiness usually hits the 4 Corners area a day or two prior, so watching forecasts for the Flagstaff area would certainly be appropriate. Systems come primarily from the W/SW that impact the 4 Corners.

There's several routes you could take from SLC, just depends on how much time you want to spend driving, and on what kind of roads.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Mootpoint, I can't help you on travel routes. The weather, no one knows for sure.
We are heading that way about Sept 20 from Branson Mo. I like to think that when someone asks about "Four Corners" they are wondering about the entire area.
IMO, red rock country is Gods country at it's finest.
It's been more than 10 years, can't wait to get back and see some "RED ROCKS".
Enjoy your travels, We enjoy ours.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)