cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonora Pass with a small trailer & a competent truck?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that Sonora Pass in the Sierra is not recommended for trailers -- I have driven it in a truck several times. But we'd like to boondock in the high country up there, since the snow is gone due to the drought.

So that is the question -- our trailer is very small and light. It has electric brakes. My Tacoma has had no trouble pulling the trailer up steep hills, and down has been no trouble -- just put it in low gear. I would never take a big trailer on those hairpin turns -- but with proper caution, is this possible and safe with my particular rig?

Thanks in advance for your expert advice.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
22 REPLIES 22

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I believe a sign at the bottom (at least on the east side) gives a maximum allowed 'kingpin' length.

Mono county just posted a report about allowed lengths on this stretch of road. It says the warning sign is for 30ft KPlength, and they propose prohibiting ones longer than 35. Seems trucks (semis) getting stuck on uphill curves is a real problem. Of hand I didn't seem mention of RVs.

http://www.monocounty.ca.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/RPAC%20-%20Bridgeport%20Valley%20RP...

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Ed_Gee wrote:
profdant139 wrote:
I know that Sonora Pass in the Sierra is not recommended for trailers -- I have driven it in a truck several times. But we'd like to boondock in the high country up there, since the snow is gone due to the drought.

So that is the question -- our trailer is very small and light. It has electric brakes. My Tacoma has had no trouble pulling the trailer up steep hills, and down has been no trouble -- just put it in low gear.

How small is "small" ? A 16 footer? or a 26 footer? I'd never try the top of the pass with a larger trailer! I've been over it many times in years past...in a POV, not an RV. Steep and tight curves at the top. I guess you could do it OK if you don't mind getting in the opposite lane on those tight curves. Not something I'd consider, although its been 12 years since I've been over that now.

OP's TT is 14' 9" & that probably includes the tongue & weighs maybe 3200# loaded.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:

So that is the question -- our trailer is very small and light. It has electric brakes. My Tacoma has had no trouble pulling the trailer up steep hills, and down has been no trouble -- just put it in low gear.

How small is "small" ? A 16 footer? or a 26 footer? I'd never try the top of the pass with a larger trailer! I've been over it many times in years past...in a POV, not an RV. Steep and tight curves at the top. I guess you could do it OK if you don't mind getting in the opposite lane on those tight curves. Not something I'd consider, although its been 12 years since I've been over that now.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139,

I cannot answer your question but I thoroughly enjoyed your blog. Documenting your travels and the many beautiful pictures of the areas are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Dan Schechter's blog
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be the east side, from 395 to the pass. It's a 26 percent grade with hairpins, so that is why I am asking.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I've been up and down the east side of Sonora Pass many times, no problem. Going down the west side in my old 4-cylinder Toyota 4x4 RV, even gearing down did not do the trick. Scary ride. If you don't want to do an up-and-back from the east, perhaps go up the west side?
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not familiar with Sanora Pass, but often when a road is not recommended for trailers, it's because of how sharp the corners are. If you stay on your side of the center line, your inside tires might run off of the pavement. Or when the corners are tight, people often stray over the center line into to the oncoming traffic lane.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about highway 108? Only restrictions I know of on that stretch of road are 65' and over. I guess they could have changed it thought.