cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sonoyta /Lukeville crossing

Alison_and_Neil
Explorer
Explorer
have heard that the Pitquito / Caborca TIP building is closed and you hand the car permits in at immigration area near the border.....cannot remember kilometre marker.....10_?
Has anyone done this recently? Where do you park,what building, etc
This info would help a lot of travellers returning to USA this Spring

Cheers,Neil
34 REPLIES 34

Talleyho69
It's a perfectly safe route, we prefer it over Nogales. Quite pretty, too.

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
I checked further. Because we only went as far San Carlos (Free Zone)we didn't need one. Whew! Had be worried! So my only question now is the safety of the route.
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
We have nothing other than insurance. Don't know where mile 21 is. So the answer is no. Now what?
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Did you not stop at KM21 and get a temporary Import Paper (TIP) for your trailer? You also should have an FMM. This is your immigration paper. Some call it a Visa.

Moisheh

Janie_Ryan
Explorer
Explorer
We're newbies to Travelling in Mexico and I have questions. First of all what is TIP? We came to Mexico from Yuma 1 week ago through Nogales. We are planning on going back through Lukeville to Ajo. We are a truck with a 30 foot trailer. You are all talking about document - we have nothing other than our mexican insurance. Have we missed something? My second question is, the safety of the route from San Carlos to Ajo through this crossing. We are alone - not travelling with others. Thanks for the advice from experienced travellers.
Dennis & Janie Ryan,
RV - 2014 F150 4x4

Alison_and_Neil
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic!
Exactly how we saw it
Staff were very accommodating and friendly re the new service
Note: You cannot turn in your Fmm's there, only TIP
Attendant said maybe next year???
FMM turn in at Sonoyta

Cheers Neil

Talleyho69
That's fabulous! Thanks so much.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The video is worth more than a thousand explanations.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

rswzz
Explorer
Explorer
As a follow up to my previous entry, I have uploaded my dashcam video of my stop at the Sonoyta Aduana to return my truck and Trailer TIP’s showing the facility and how I entered and exited. The video is in 4X speed to reduce the length.

Video: https://youtu.be/dWe8Y3mv9y0

After reviewing my Dashcam footage there wide turnaround place at GPS: 31.68986, -112.84434 , about 4-5 minutes north from the customs office where long rigs could easily turn around.

rswzz
Explorer
Explorer
The exit from the facility is three lanes wide and approaches the highway at a 45 degree angle. There is enough room to turn left and head north.

Alison_and_Neil
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the info
So after turning in your TIP, you are heading South........ Is there a place to do a Returno North when leaving?

Cheers, Neil

rswzz
Explorer
Explorer
Driving by Piquito, it looked abandoned. No signs of activity, no vehicles of any kind.

As far as doing the u-turn, there are several gravel places on the right side of the road where trucks have pulled off and parked. That is where I pulled off and turned. I have a fifth wheel that is 40' overall with the truck. I have never driven a big rig so I am not familiar with your tuning radius. YMMV. Worst case, drive on to Sonoyta and turn around.

Side note: A friend of mine went through the day before and entered using the bus entrance to return his permits. Again no problems and there may be more room to maneuver once inside the facility.

Jarvis1
Explorer
Explorer
Yu say "do a U turn and head back South"

Can this be done with a 40' DP pulling a toad??
2002 Monaco Diplomat 40'

Talleyho69
Thanks for that, it all helps.

However, does that mean that the "new" Piquito is actually closed, or was it easier to check out where you did?

We'll be passing through there in about a month, and want to make it as easy as possible, since the two of us will be in separate/differently plated vehicles.

rswzz
Explorer
Explorer
I can confirm that the Banjercito office 30 km south of Sonoyta is open for business. I drove from San Carlos to Ajo today (Sat Feb 24) and had no problems returning my Truck and Trailer TIP's. Going Northbound drive past the building on your left and do a U-Turn to head back south (easy to do). Drive in the entrance marked for Passenger Cars (There are separate ones also for Trucks and Busses). Go through the autodeclaration lanes, then the Customs Agent will show you where to park and will direct you into the building to the Banjercito office. I was in and out in 5 minutes.