cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggested routes from Zion NP to Yosemite NP

KC8RXQ
Explorer
Explorer
Part of our summer trip will include Bryce and Zion NP's in Utah and then on to Yosemite NP. We have a Sprinter Class C without a toad and would appreciate suggestions on good routes (non-interstate as much as possible) between the two areas. I did try a search in this sub-forum but wasn't able to find what I needed.

Thanks for any help offered!

Ed & Robin
Ed and Robin
Travelling buddies: Nina, Kit and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24, Ming Blue
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3.0L, V6
7 REPLIES 7

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the way we've gone: I-15 south to 168 at Glendale to NV93 north to 375 to Hwy 6 at Tonopah, Nevada and Hwy 6 to 120 west coming into Lee Vining then 120 into Yosemite. Keep filling with fuel as you see it. Ride on the top 1/2 of your tank. It's a very nice drive especially on Hwy 6/120 coming into Lee Vining, CA
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
rexlion wrote:
I took hwy 56 W out of Cedar City, which becomes 319 in NV. I enjoyed a stop at Cathedral Gorge SP; very interesting place to walk around and take some pictures. Then I took US 93 west to hwy 375, and then continued west on US 6. ...

I took this route several years ago, and don't recall anything that would be a problem for an RV. I was in a car, and spent a night at a motel in Caliente. Caliente to Tonopah was the longest stretch without gas (I did not check in Rachel). There's a patch of Joshua Trees on US93 west of Caliente.

In California I first went to Big Pine to check out an area that I'd hiked many years ago. And only drove up to the CA120 pass before going back and continuing north.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Hurricane, take I- 15 to Cedar City, 56 west to 93 north to 50 west to 6 west to 120 west to 395 north to 120 west (Tioga Pass). With a Sprinter, there is nothing you can't do. We have done that route (in reverse) with a travel trailer, no problem.

My advice is do not just zoom over 120 into Yosemite Valley. Stop and spend as much time as you can in the Tioga Pass/Tuolumne Meadows area. World class hiking and scenery. Much cooler and less crowded than the Valley.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

KC8RXQ
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies and my navigator (aka DW) will certainly use this to plot a course!
Ed and Robin
Travelling buddies: Nina, Kit and Mickey
2016 Thor Synergy TT24, Ming Blue
Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 3.0L, V6

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I took hwy 56 W out of Cedar City, which becomes 319 in NV. I enjoyed a stop at Cathedral Gorge SP; very interesting place to walk around and take some pictures. Then I took US 93 west to hwy 375, and then continued west on US 6. In CA I caught hwy 120, which passes Mono Lake (stop and look). All of it was good 2 lane pavement. I was towing a 16' TT.

I have driven US-95 between Vegas and Tonopah about a decade ago, and there's nothing wrong with it either. But I think the above route will be shorter and the stop at Cathedral Gorge is worthwhile.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
I-15 south into Nevada and then US-95 to US 6 at Tonopah NV. Go to 120 into California. Unbelievable scenery. To US 395 and Yosemite. Can not wait to do it again.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The normal route would be to drop down to AZ and take I-40 west to US 395 then north. But thinking about it, and being adventurous, an alternate and more interesting route would be north to 21 and that to US 50, following that across NV for a scenic route with a good road. That brings you into CA just north of the Tioga pass route into Yosemite.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper