cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To Alaska by ferry from Washington State?

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if it is possible to take a ferry from say Seattle to Alaska and by pass Canada altogether? I have a 2002 45 foot Foretravel Class A motorhome.

Thanks for any info.

Robt65
20 REPLIES 20

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
You also don't pay any tax if you buy gold bullion in Canada!
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Robt65 wrote:
Or maybe . . . . . just maybe, I want to buy some gold bullion for investment purposes and not have to pay any duty entering into and out of Canada. There are two cities in Alaska where one can buy small ("old motel style soap size gold bullion') without paying any taxes, even Alaska taxes. Makes for a good rainy day fund. Next question? ? ? ? ? ? (smiling)

Robt65

I always thought that you can transport your personal property through Canada while on route to the US providing you declare it when entering Canada.

I know that for money you have declare any amount in excess of $10,000. You can travel with whatever amount that you want provided it is declared at customs.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
jamesu wrote:
FYI. The Alaska Ferry Terminal in Washington State is not in Seattle but in Bellingham (as has already been stated). This is approximately 90 miles north of Seattle up near the Canadian border, a blessing in that it is convenient and easy to get to once in B'ham, as it would be a nightmare if that terminal was down on the Seattle waterfront.

To add, it is very well marked coming off I-5. and has a huge parking lot that they don't mind you using while waiting for departure.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
FYI. The Alaska Ferry Terminal in Washington State is not in Seattle but in Bellingham (as has already been stated). This is approximately 90 miles north of Seattle up near the Canadian border, a blessing in that it is convenient and easy to get to once in B'ham, as it would be a nightmare if that terminal was down on the Seattle waterfront.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
Or maybe . . . . . just maybe, I want to buy some gold bullion for investment purposes and not have to pay any duty entering into and out of Canada. There are two cities in Alaska where one can buy small ("old motel style soap size gold bullion') without paying any taxes, even Alaska taxes. Makes for a good rainy day fund. Next question? ? ? ? ? ? (smiling)

Robt65

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If the reason to avoid Canada is your weapon(s) you can always have them shipped to and from Alaska. Fed Ex I believe is the courier...I will be corrected if needs be. Many RV people do that.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
The answer's been provided, but yes, one can take the AMHS from Seattle area to Anchorage area without going into Canada. I can't recall what it's called right now but the "Southeast Mainlines" run from Bellingham Washington to any number of places in Southeast Alaska, including Juneau.

At Juneau, the "Cross-Gulf sailings" runs from Juneau to (among others) Whittier and Valdez. From either Whittier or Valdez, you're on the road system and can get to Los Anchorage or points North.

FWIW, I recently (2 days ago) got a quote for a 31' boat to be shipped up via AMHS. It was circa $3500 from Bellingham to Whittier (just an unaccompanied boat, no vehicle, no cabin, etc) and they told me that I'd have to discuss specific timing in order not to have to do a Ferry transfer in Juneau. Since the cost was such that I could pay for costs and time for my son to drive down to Seattle to pickup the boat, I didn't pursue any specifics on avoiding a transfer, but it might be possible to do it. FWIW, my timing would have been in April, so the option might not be there in tourist season.

I'd second a few points made above: a) The AMHS is a (relatively, compared to cruise lines) cheap-ish way to see SE Alaska.....it's less cheap if one is paying for a large MH or truck/trailer; b) If one wants to avoid Canada, it can be done on the AMHS; c) if one does not specifically want to avoid Canada, the AMHS stops in Canada are nice places as well (or at least they were 20 years ago, the last time I went that route); d) if one doesn't want to see Southeast Alaska AND doesn't want to go into Canada, the cheapest way (and likely the least hassle) is to fly into Los Anchorage and rent an RV for driving around; e) people will say that the cabins on AMHS are overpriced and undersized....whatever. Having done several legs in my "I had hair then" days where I slept on the deck and/or in the lounge chairs (admittedly, those were less comfy back in the day) and having done two trips with a cabin, I wouldn't think twice about getting (i.e. I'd do it in a heartbeat) a cabin for any leg that was more than 12 hours long....but it does all add up if one is taking a truck, a trailer, and booking passage for XX passengers.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alaska boats are also famous for the open and covered decks where you can pitch your tent or roll out your sleeping bag on lounge chairs.

But they are mainly useful as a way of seeing the Alaska panhandle. To see the main part of Alaska without passing through Canada, I suspect flying and renting will be cheaper than taking a big RV the whole way.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
You can take the Alaska Marine Highway ferries from Bellingham to Juneau without changing boats, however, the run from Bellingham to Ketchikan is a long one. You might consider a cabin for that leg. Some problems might be the ability of your refer to keep food as LP must be off and sealed for you to be aboard the boat. Also, pets need to stay in the RV and you cannot access the vehicle unless it's in port. Just about all the route is in protected waters. On a different boat the trip from Juneau to Whittier is mostly in open Gulf of Alaska waters and can be rough. Pet and LP policies are the same and a cabin might be desirable for that run too. The ferries are a great way to travel with good meals served cafeteria style that are quite reasonable. Comfortable seating is available and lounges are also on board for those who care to partake. Go to http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/routes.shtml to start learning about the Marine Highway
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Robt65 wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to take a ferry from say Seattle to Alaska and by pass Canada altogether? I have a 2002 45 foot Foretravel Class A motorhome.

Thanks for any info.

Robt65

The ferries depart Bellingham Wa, not Seattle its about 70 miles north on I-5. but yes you can book by phone for your length and go direct to any port of call in southeast Ak.
The most direct route to central AK. is to Whittier then drive north.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
We did the opposite in the summer of 2015. We took the ferry from Juneau to Bellingham Washington. I remember four stops on the way south, none in Canada. I know you can take the ferry on the reverse trip to Alaska, but the times and stops may have changed. The advice to check the ferry schedule on line is spot-on. And, remember, your propane will need to be off for the entire time your rig is on the ship, so plan your refrigerated items accordingly. Also, if you have pets, they will need to remain in your RV for the duration of the trip, except for scheduled 15 minute pet breaks.

Have fun!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
stickdog wrote:
Maybe doesn't want to declare a wine collection?
That's one possibility.

There is a in-transit procedure that allow an American citizen to transport tobacco, alcohol, etc through Canada to the United States. It involves paper work and declaring it at Canadian entry and exit and cannot be used in Canada.

I wanted to take a case of our favorite wine to Alaska but decided it wasn't worth the effort.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think that even if the ferry stops in Canada but you don't get off you won't go through customs but check.

But be aware that there is a slim possibility of a ferry change or problem and you'll have to get off in Canada.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe Bellingham to Juneau to Whittier? As Murphsmon said, check the ferry schedule.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS