cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling 101 want to skirt around Redwoods

sarahsgonervn12
Explorer
Explorer
I'm traveling south on the coast hwy (have done it many times) and this time, want to skirt around the Redwoods in Northern California.

My plan so far is to leave 101So. at Coos Bay, travel East on 42 to I-5 S, then cut back West to 101 someplace below the Redwoods.

I'd like to be back on 101 to go through Ft. Bragg. Which of the E-W from I-5S to the coast hwy S would you recommend?

Driving a 26' Lazy Daze, towing a Suzuki. Not afraid of mountain driving, but some of those cross roads are reeeeeeaaaaalllly slow.

I know it's almost unAmerican to want to avoid the Redwoods, but I just don't want to go that slow that far again on this trip. Can do, but if a work around is doable, I'll take it this time.

TIA, Sarah B
13 REPLIES 13

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good choice. Also I've seen people drive what they thought was the PCH and comment about how rarely they actually saw the ocean on it. Turns out they were on 101, not the PCH.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW I'd take US 1 out of Leggett and did with 36' and toad. But now I'm prohibited at 42' from most of US 1.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well OK but you said you had done it many times... As stated stay on 101 and you'll bypass The Avenue of the Giants.

You could also pick up US 1 at Leggett. There are initial switch backs but otherwise a scenic road and should be a little less time than US 20.

Bob

sarahsgonervn12
Explorer
Explorer
Well, you folks all made mighty fine observations and recommendations. Yup, it's just the Avenue of the Giants that I wanted to 'skirt around', but I certainly was not clear on that point. So I'll just follow the advice given, and thanks.

Re calling it the 'coast highway'; you're certainly correct that only Hwy 1 is the PCH. I just got sloppy and called the whole darned thing the coast hwy.

Happy trails, and happier now.

Sarah

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Per Google:

Coos Bay to Fort Bragg on Highway 101 and 1: 6 hours 53 minutes and 351 miles.

Coos Bay to Fort Bragg going around to 5 and coming back on 20 (which is the closest route to avoid Redwood NP: 9 hours 48 minutes and 546 miles.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulj wrote:
On Google maps it adds 150-200 miles and a couple of hours.

What he ^ said. And that 150 to 200 extra miles is all windy mountain roads. Your plan makes little sense at all, but go for it if that's what you want to do.

Also, 101 is not the Coast Highway. That is Highway 1. But 1 and 101 do merge in many areas.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Once you see how slow the roads are from 101 to I5, you will look at the trip through the Redwoods as 'at least 55 MPH+ and much faster'.

I would rather stay on 101, then try to get from 101 to I5. Unless you are going all the way south to San Francisco, I would just take 101.

Good luck!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

othertonka
Explorer
Explorer
The best way to skirt the redwoods is stay on 101 and don't take the" Avenue of the giants". The traffic on 101 moves right along. And Fort Bragg is not on 101, it is about 1 and a 1/4 hours drive west on hwy 20 from willits. If you go over to I 5 first it is then many miles and hours to get back to 101 which to me is a waste of gas of time. But if that is what you want, hwy 20 is the best route from Williams to Ukiah at 101. Then north on 101 back to Willits and then west on 20 to Ft Bragg. Give your route some serious second thoughts
Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
On Google maps it adds 150-200 miles and a couple of hours.

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Highway 20 out of Willits would without any doubt be your best bet to cut back west towards Fort Bragg, but I really question if that route would save any time over just staying southbound on 101.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
sarahsgonervn12 wrote:
..........I know it's almost unAmerican to want to avoid the Redwoods, but I just don't want to go that slow that far again on this trip. Can do, but if a work around is doable, I'll take it this time. TIA, Sarah B

Slow? Hwy 101 down through that section is 55 or 65 mph. What exactly are you trying to avoid?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
Lot of extra miles to skirt maybe 50 miles of redwoods. But if thats your desire, cut back on 20
X2

Bob

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lot of extra miles to skirt maybe 50 miles of redwoods. But if thats your desire, cut back on 20