cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traveling from Seattle to Alaska Early Spring

bbbarker194
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning to travel from Seattle to Alaska with our 40 ft 5th wheel. Is mid-April too early to start on this journey? Along that same line, if we plan to return to Seattle in the fall, is the end of September an ok time of year to make the trip.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Barbara
15 REPLIES 15

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
There is a reason I spend winters in Mexico and do not retrun to Canada until late April. In the early 70's I worked for the dept of highways on the then new Stewart Cassiar Highway (hwy 37). As we drove to the road head about 1/2 way up, the snow banks on either side were 5 feet high. It was late may.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Probably my two favorite times of the year in the north country are early Spring and late Fall. For one thing, the biting bugs are gone and I am a bug magnet, for sure. There are less people out and about also. We have a couple of forum members that have gone up in the spring to attend the sled dog races and had a great time. But they knew what they were going for and what they wanted to see and do.

So depending on what a visitor wants to do, will depend on the best times to be up north. Wildlife babies generally are born in the spring so great photo opps at that time, of birds and mammals. If you are wanting open campgrounds and the more commerical tourist attractions, then later is the summer is better, say June thru August. If a person wants to see the tundra change colors, the animals getting ready for winter, then September has lots to offer, in addition to the onset of winter. Drive out of Alaska much past the fist of October and count on some cold weather, below freezing but if your RV is set up for it, great. The first of October was normally when i made sure the RVs were put to bed for the winter. After that my camping was done in a tent with a wood stove for heating it, The Boats were put away for another season, the snow machines came out, the sled dogs had to get back in shape after a summer of laying around eating too many salmon, LOL and the skis went on my airplane, making much of Alaska a giant landing strip.

As residents, we probably stayed busier in the winter time, as basic survival, became the number one priority of life. Always something to do in the north country, all year round.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
We had snow in Banff in August last year. Once you hit those mountains you never know.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We left home on the first trip on 4/6 but because of weather and lack of services, we did not get to Alaska until 5/19. Since then, we plan our trips to leave in May. As far as returning, we usually leave a week after labor day, but know we will run into many areas where they have closed up shop and headed south for the winter. I'm sure others will chime in with the same info.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Chiefelectusn
Explorer
Explorer
As always Sue thanks for the beautiful pictures

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
May 2015 was warm so we headed off camping along the Haines Road
http://yukonsights.ca/20150516_HainesRd.html

Did the same trip May 7, 2014
http://yukonsights.ca/20140507_HainesRd.html

Northbound on the Alaska Highway heading towards Haines Junction, May 7, 2014

This was the Klondike Highway north of Whitehorse on May 3, 2013 http://yukonsights.ca/20130503_Braeburn-Faro.html
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We crossed the border last May 1, stopped in Banff a couple days, ran into snow May 5 in Hinton AB stayed two nights, weather warmed then headed north road was clear. Had beautiful sunshine the rest of the way to Tok AK
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
We left Skagway 8/19/13 and most of the locations on the Alaskan Highway were closed. We asked the owners of one that was open where we were the only camper how much longer they would be open. The answer "closing as soon as we run out of gasoline".

This is not southern Canada or the US 48.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, wait till mid May. Weather is flaky nowadays, but in normal years there is still lots of snow in BC till about then. In fall I'd head back before mid sept and tarry a while once south of Chetwynd. If you want to extend your time spend it in BC. There's great fishing and scenery all the way through to Alaska. Are you fishing or sightseeing. Happy to provide you with tips if you are fishing, both in BC and AK. Don't neglect BC, in many ways I like it better than Alaska.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mid-April is too early.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

explorenorth
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be going the opposite direction in mid April (leaving Whitehorse, headed down the Alaska Highway with Ontario the ultimate destination). I'll be prepared for anything, though, including carrying chains.
Murray

Whitehorse, Yukon
http://ExploreNorth.com/
and blogging at http://ExploreNorthBlog.com/
I live to travel, and travel to really live

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mid-May is about right. Some places aren't open yet but there are still plenty of options.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you'd enjoy starting your trip in mid-April. The lakes will still be frozen and you could possibly hit snow. A lot of things will not be open for travelers either.

We left the 3rd week of May and everything was open and we had great weather. We returned mid-Sept and some campgrounds were closed but enough were open and there are plenty of boondocking spots.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Nick-B
Explorer
Explorer
I've driven the Al-Can several times in the past but not with an RV. You would be pushing your luck on both ends, weather-wise. Could be fine or could have several inches of snow. 2-3 weeks shorter on each end would improve your chances. The other issue to consider is that many campgrounds and services (gas, groceries and repairs) will not be open that early and late in the year.

(EDIT): Ooops, I see Bill snuck his post in before mine. He knows! Familiar pics - including the snow.
Nick
1995 Coachmen Santara MB360 w/slide
F53/460 chassis w/tag