Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travelling from Nevada to Alaska in the Middle of Winter

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all!

New to this forum and quite excited! I did some searching of the internet in hopes of finding the answers I need and did find "some". At this point, I feel I just need to ask the experts.

My family and I will be moving back to Alaska from Nevada in February 2021. We have made the trip from Flordia to Alaska and Alaska to Nevada, but both times in mild conditions and both on the ALCAN. This will be our first time during the winter and with a travel trailer (Jayco Jay Flight 224BHW Baja Edition). We actually don't plan on staying in our trailer on the trip and instead plan on using any hotels/motels along the way. Also, I have never towed anything in the winter. I drive a 2018 3500HD Silverado (Diesel). Based on this information, here's what I need to figure out:

1) What are your recommendations for winterization (both trailer and truck)?

2) I have AT tires on the trailer - do you recommend changing them?

3) Do you recommend chains for the trailer and truck?

4) From those who have travelled the ALCAN with a trailer or RV during the winter months, what can we expect?

5) Anything else you can throw at me would be greatly apprecaited!
147 REPLIES 147

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
Pipsfc wrote:
Thank you all! We made it to Liard Lodge safely last night. Today we trek to Whitehorse.

I have a question. Yesterday I was getting fuel at an ESSO station and realized I pumped 5 gal of LSD into my truck before I stopped it. I had about a half a tank already in the truck before accidently adding the the LSD and ended up going to another station that offered ULSD to finish filling it up. Will this LSD hurt anything? It seems that most places in the ALCAN offer only LSD, unless you're in a well established town/city.

You guys are gettin right along! Good to hear!

I'm about 99.5% certain that you were pumping ULSD and not LSD. Canada has had the same regs for fuel basically as the US, since 2006 or 2008, whenever the switch was made.
My guess is old pump stickers on the pumps out there in the boonies.

we dont have LSD in canada only ULSD. they totaly switched when the mandate came in.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
pipsfc....
Wherever diesel fuel is sold in Canada for on-road applications, only ULSD may be sold. NOTE: Because Canada will not have 2 grades of on-road diesel fuel (unlike the U.S.) the Canadian regulations do not require that pumps be labeled.

Hope this info eases your mind on the ULSD thing. There is only ULSD sold at the pumps in Canada....the LSD labels you have seen must be years old. Canada had ULSD before the USA.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pipsfc wrote:
We're staying the night in Tok and then on to Anchorage after.

In 2019 we drove the road from Tok to Anchorage. The Tok Cutoff from Tok to Glenallen was terrible. We were on it during the summer, have no idea what it's like in the winter. Lots of frost heaves where it would pitch you all over the place. We spent the summer driving a lot over Alaska on some pretty rough rock roads. The Tok Cutoff was paved but it was one of the worst driving. We saw 2 roll overs taped off along the side of the road. Take it slow and stay awake. Also saw a number of critters along that stretch.
Camped in every state

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the fuel information. I feel a lot better! We passed through the YT checkpoint and started the clock. We'll be leaving Whitehorse early in the morning to make it in time for our 24 hours. I'll be sure to get that fuel in Beaver Creek though. We're staying the night in Tok and then on to Anchorage after. Almost there! I'll post some pictures soon.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pipsfc wrote:
Thank you all! We made it to Liard Lodge safely last night. Today we trek to Whitehorse.

I have a question. Yesterday I was getting fuel at an ESSO station and realized I pumped 5 gal of LSD into my truck before I stopped it. I had about a half a tank already in the truck before accidently adding the the LSD and ended up going to another station that offered ULSD to finish filling it up. Will this LSD hurt anything? It seems that most places in the ALCAN offer only LSD, unless you're in a well established town/city.

You guys are gettin right along! Good to hear!

I'm about 99.5% certain that you were pumping ULSD and not LSD. Canada has had the same regs for fuel basically as the US, since 2006 or 2008, whenever the switch was made.
My guess is old pump stickers on the pumps out there in the boonies.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Pipsfc wrote:

Sounds like your making pretty good time across CA. Be ready for the Yukon checkpoints later today, and your 24 hour timer to start. You'll be fine with the fuel your purchasing, Canadians drive the same vehicles using that fuel and your doing highway driving not stop and go city traffic. Make sure and fuel up in Beaver Creek, there isn't squat on the Alaska side of the border for a long ways, with Tok being the best bet for good fuel.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good luck. Safe travels!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
We'll keep an eye peeled as you go past Grande Prairie. Safe travels.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
Good catch.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Soup.
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
So we made it to Airdrie, AB yesterday without issue at the border. Thank goodness! Apparently the COVID testing requirement starts today. We were prepared regardless.

I did run into an issue though. While trying to leave for St John, BC this morning I was trying to knock ice off the axels of the TT when I noticed broken wires to 3 of the 4 wheels. Found out that these were the brake wires and that they had been cut by the ice build up. Since my movement is restrict due to covid, I was lucky enough to find a guy who will be able to repair the wires tomorrow. What a relief! I have also purchased a butane torch from Canada Tire and will do a curbside pickup later today. I'm definitely learning some things on this trip.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Just tossing out a number for CBSA in Coutts, Alberta. 1 800-461-9999

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Pipsfc
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
Pipsfc wrote:
The COVID-19 test should have gone into effect 3 Feb. That is the information I received from the Air Force. I already have tests scheduled for me and my family this Friday on Hill AFB. We get the results right away. Better safe than sorry.

As for the pictures, we'll be taking lots of them! We did last time and can't wait to do it again.

theres been a lot of confusion where people have been told rapid tests do not qualify and the real tests take to long to get bak to meet the guidline. I would check with the boarder agents and see what is required and the time frames for your transit.

Steve

Unfortunately it's impossible to get in touch with CBSA. I've tried on numerous occasions with no success. I followed the guidelines on the CBSA site to have a molecular (PCR) test done. The test they administered at Hill is the same test.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Pipsfc wrote:
The COVID-19 test should have gone into effect 3 Feb. That is the information I received from the Air Force. I already have tests scheduled for me and my family this Friday on Hill AFB. We get the results right away. Better safe than sorry.

As for the pictures, we'll be taking lots of them! We did last time and can't wait to do it again.

theres been a lot of confusion where people have been told rapid tests do not qualify and the real tests take to long to get bak to meet the guidline. I would check with the boarder agents and see what is required and the time frames for your transit.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Pipsfc wrote:

If you need any base assistance after Hill, there is one last Air Force Base in Great Falls Montana that has full services for military. I use them for draining tanks and refill, but you will probably be running empty in the cold weather. Not much for services north of Great Falls MT until Calgary and then Edmonton.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded